Anyone else think Predator's largely boring and the sequel's way better?

Kasey Kockroach

I still have yet to finish the original without zoning out. Schwarzenegger was never my idea of cool. Danny Glover, on the other hand? That's MY idea of cool. He wrecks the predator's ass way more than Arnie ever could. 

Predator 2 is glorious. Both movie and score (my favorite Silvestri). It's way nuttier than the first one, so much more to my liking. 

Image result for predator 2 gif

Predator 2 was probably my first hard R film at 10...it freaked the living daylights out of me, but I ended up loving it and becoming a huge fan of the series and Alien. I loved the Predator's sense of honor and sportsmanship, shown by its actions, and I loved the Predator's involvements in the deepest dregs of the concrete jungle. Watching the "bad guys" get taken out by the Predator was fascinating to my 10 year old self, and made him more palatable to me.

But Predator smokes its sequel's ass.

I honestly truly enjoy Predator 2 A LOT!  I think it's very underrated; I was surprised when I found out that so many people online think it sucks!  As a kid I watched and enjoyed both movies all the time, and when I revisited Predator 2 as an adult (around when Predators was going to open) I was very happy to see it holds up as a truly good action movie.

All that being said, the first one still is truly better.  It's an almost flawless action film.

BUT - I do prefer the second score over the original!

I like all of them. The first two, as well as PREDATORS and even the two AvPs (especially the first).

But the new one I saw this morning was a huge disappointment. Geez -- since when did PREDATOR become a straight-up splatter/black comedy franchise?!

2 still has the best score of them all.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

I like all of them. The first two, as well as PREDATORS and even the two AvPs (especially the first).

But the new one I saw this morning was a huge disappointment. Geez -- since when did PREDATOR become a straight-up splatter/black comedy franchise?!

2 still has the best score of them all.

How was H. Jackman's score?

Parts of it were good and rather "old school", others quite generic and buried in the sound mix.

Several references to Silvestri's theme, but it somehow didn't sound right. Like some notes were missing or something, even if the basic ostinato was there. Weird. Maybe it's the sound mix's fault again.

I think I'll have to listen to it on album to get a better grasp of it.

I think the original Predator is a great movie and the score is amazing and un-toppable in context. That said, I do think Predator 2 is the stronger score as pure music on album.

Weirdly this is similar to my opinion of Williams's two Jaws scores. Purely as an album listening experience, I enjoy and play Jaws 2 more. But in terms of the marriage of music and film, the original cannot be topped.

Yavar

The second film (which was banned in Germany until 2014) is not better than the first one (which was banned in Germany until 2010). But it's a funny variation of both the original Predator and the 80s' cop thriller.

Predator 2 is entertaining late night movie fare with plenty of cool moments amongst its excess; but really the original blows it away as a straight up exercise in taut'n macho action suspense, both movie and score.

It's like Die Hard 3 compared to Die Hard.