ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

8 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Did anyone else get a little internal fanboy cheer at the image of John Williams next to the Deutsche Grammophon logo?

He finally conquers the classical world's prejudices and gets the respect that is due. Like a good finale

It is amazing to see yes, but DG doesn’t represent the ‘classical world’ so much, or not anymore - they’ve become quite a commercial label these days. The recent JW output is a great result of that, but sadly they’ve also signed with some artists of dubious quality.

Anyway, this is a lovely single and looking forward to the complete album!

I can't read it, either, but if no one beats me to it I'll sign up for a trial tomorrow and see what I can do.

@Jay Would it be okay to post the article here? Technically it'd be free for anyone to read solo, I'd just save people the process of having to sign up.

9 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Promotional video including footage from the recording sessions:

Johnny does look older in that interview.

"I hadn't read the book" wait, what? Isn't it known for JW not going into it with no prior knowledge because he had read the book and there are three generations in his family enjoying Rowling?

37 minutes ago, Holko said:

"I hadn't read the book" wait, what? Isn't it known for JW not going into it with no prior knowledge because he had read the book and there are three generations in his family enjoying Rowling?

I guess he prefers watching the movie.

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

At 87, mind does play some tricks... but I do indeed recall reading that he went through the first book in the late 90's with some of his grandchildren while at Tanglewood.

48 minutes ago, Holko said:

Wait and see how many books you remember having read when you're 100 years old! ;)

7 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

At 87, mind does play some tricks... but I do indeed recall reading that he went through the first book in the late 90's with some of his grandchildren while at Tanglewood.

Perhaps he was confusing himself with John Williams the guitarist, who had read the book. :)

20 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Did anyone else get a little internal fanboy cheer at the image of John Williams next to the Deutsche Grammophon logo?

He finally conquers the classical world's prejudices and gets the respect that is due. Like a good finale

I definitely do. I felt that way too with the Dudamel album.

It's not JW's first time on DG (I think Tree Song with the BSO might be the first DG (non-Decca) one), but this feels the most prominent. 

7 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@Jay Would it be okay to post the article here? Technically it'd be free for anyone to read solo, I'd just save people the process of having to sign up.

Go for it

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Literally just type in Anne Sophie Mutter into your streaming service of choice

Just a preview at Deezer rest of is un accesible for me. The Youtube preview works fine though!

I cannot  wait to hear the rest of the album.  I already love how the live version of "Across the Stars" sounds like Williams writing a Korngold violin concerto, with that old school Hollywood extreme vibrato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GLAvQdCcIM

9 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Btw, this "single" release is a shorter version of the piece purposefully recorded for the preview--ASM wrote about a "short version" of Hedwig's Theme in one of her Facebook postings, so I guess this is it.

If you listen to the promotional video at the very beginning you can hear a grand orchestral passage not heard in the version released today...

Oh wow, that’s even better!!!

17 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

If you listen to the promotional video at the very beginning you can hear a grand orchestral passage not heard in the version released today...

I was wondering where that came from! Definitely isn't in the single but it's gorgeous.

Hedwig's Theme did do much for me for most of my lifespan, and I was already pumped for the Azkaban recording, as it was something a little different. This is something completely new and fantastic!