ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

43 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

keep also in mind that this project is a result of Mutter asking JW for many years to write a Korngold-styled concerto for her

Interesting - may I ask what's your source for this? We all know that Mutter was nagging JW to write something specific for her, but as far as I know it has never been revealed exactly what she requested. I, and probably many others, guessed that what she wanted was a Korngold-esque concerto, based on film themes, but has that ever been confirmed?

On 5/9/2019 at 11:32 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

At the very least you need the 20+ minute suite by Charles Gerhardt. I have a spare copy that I can sell to you for practically nothing.

Is it the Dolby Surround one or the old RCA Red Seal?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting - may I ask what's your source for this? We all know that Mutter was nagging JW to write something specific for her, but as far as I know it has never been revealed exactly what she requested. I, and probably many others, guessed that what she wanted was a Korngold-esque concerto, based on film themes, but has that ever been confirmed?

I do remember some kind of confirmation to that extent, but I can't recall where.

Incidentally, did we know before the press release on Friday that Williams was conducting the entire album?

I think it was clear from the photos Ann posted of the recording sessions. She posted a few times "we recorded" etc. under photos of her with Williams etc. 

Hedwig's Theme sounds wonderful !!

This is gonna be one amazing album..

A friend of mine actually did something quite similar a few years ago, turning Rey's Theme into a violon concerto movement :

15 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, it was an interview with a German paper from several years ago; she talked about liking to perform new pieces written for her and one of her dreams was having a full concerto for her by John Williams based on his film themes. She didn't mention Korngold, but it was clear from her wording that she was requesting something along those lines. A few years later, there was another interview with Andre Previn, where he said that Mutter asked Williams to write something for her multiple times and, according to Previn, at one point JW backed off saying "Sorry, but I don't do that kind of thing" (or something along those lines). Of course this could be urban myth, I tend to believe JW backed off (as he usually does with anyone who requests a new piece from him) because of film commitments and other previous engagements he might have had at that time.

30 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Yes, it was an interview with a German paper from several years ago; she talked about liking to perform new pieces written for her and one of her dreams was having a full concerto for her by John Williams based on his film themes. She didn't mention Korngold, but it was clear from her wording that she was requesting something along those lines. A few years later, there was another interview with Andre Previn, where he said that Mutter asked Williams to write something for her multiple times and, according to Previn, at one point JW backed off saying "Sorry, but I don't do that kind of thing" (or something along those lines). Of course this could be urban myth, I tend to believe JW backed off (as he usually does with anyone who requests a new piece from him) because of film commitments and other previous engagements he might have had at that time.

Thanks for the additional info! Do you happen to have a link or the title to the German interview?

I'm familiar with the (infamous) Previn interview. I don't find the claim from Previn surprising at all - that JW didn't want to write a concerto based on his own film themes - since none of JW's substantial concert works really crosses the line into his film music territory.

Anyway, now that Mutter and JW have established a good working relationship, it's probably more likely than ever that such a concerto could materialize! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing JW like this, joking, proud and happy of this new collaboration and the new arrangements, puts a smile on my face and really makes me look forward to the album.

Hedwig’s Theme was good, really good. Can’t wait to hear the rest of the tracks!

Does anyone here have tickets for the show? : )

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oooh, I wonder if he's being serious when he says, if not for writing Star Wars, he'd be in Germany in person? Perhaps last year hasn't dissuaded him and he's open to returning to Europe? I guess we don't really know if it was the transit to London that made him unwell last year, or just pure coincidence. 

I feel it was just a nice opportunity for him to mention that he's working on TROS, but not a serious reason since I guess most work will be done by September anyway. I don't think he'd travel to Germany just to attend a concert, but oh boy I hope he will still come to Europe one day...

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

Anyway, he'll have all the free time in the world once he finishes TROS because there's  nothing else on his plate.

Well, he could have lots on his plate after Star Wars 9. We aren't at all privy to his daily schedule and all his upcoming commitments.

I really hope that since it's Tanglewood, where concerts are often recorded also with cameras, we will have a blu-ray release. Especially since it will be such a unique event! :)