ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Pity JWFan can't just look forward to the fact that we have newly arranged recordings of Williams  music coming. There's always has to be this level of angry entitlement.

Jeez, what’s the hang up with you and “entitlement”?

Nobody here is acting “entitled.” Get over the fact that JWfaners want to own and hear JW’s music, or stop over using the word.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Someone decides to include the rest of the recorded music on the vinyl edition only

This isn't the case. There's music recorded that isn't even on the vinyl. ASM has a photo on Instagram with a soloist and explicitly says he came in to record the cellist part in Chairman's Waltz, which is AWOL. Plus the missing Leia's Theme, as seen in the sheet music (and heard in concert), also Prayer for Peace was mentioned in another tweet. 

It's this type of disdain for consumers that encourages piracy. The labels who partake in this anti-consumer behaviour have no one to blame but themselves.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This isn't the case. There's music recorded that isn't even on the vinyl. ASM has a photo on Instagram with a soloist and explicitly says he came in to record the cellist part in Chairman's Waltz, which is AWOL. Plus the missing Leia's Theme. 

I am increasingly convinced the missing Leia's theme has something to do with IX.  Maybe it is part of the score recordings.  hell, maybe that Vanity Fair picture wasn't really doctored at all. 

While I completely agree that this is yet again an utterly insane album situation, I don't really see the problem with ripping something from a DVD. It won't sound bad, most likely even better than the CD. But yes, this obsession with multiple releases is irritating.

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

I am increasingly convinced the missing Leia's theme has something to do with IX.  Maybe it is part of the score recordings.  hell, maybe that Vanity Fair picture wasn't really doctored at all. 

What makes you say that? We've heard the ASM arrangement of the piece performed just last month - it was written, why wouldn't it have been recorded with the rest of the arrangements? ASM alluded to it multiple times on social media. 

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But yes, this obsession with multiple releases is irritating.

It wouldn't be so infuriating if they at least provided one deluxe release which had everything included, alongside a cheaper option with fewer tracks, allowing the consumer to choose whichever version they preferred.

Instead, the new practice is to spread exclusive material across multiple releases to ensure no one release is comprehensive, forcing consumers to buy the same product multiple times to access all the content.

Worse still when there's clearly more than enough available space for said material to have been included, meaning it's been deliberated omitted as part of their release strategy. It's a disgrace. 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

While I completely agree that this is yet again an utterly insane album situation, I don't really see the problem with ripping something from a DVD.

You don’t see a problem with forcing consumers to go through the work of a DVD rip to make music content available on music players?

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well that makes a lot more sense!

And I think that new edition covers all the pieces that have been mentioned in Tweets, etc?

The only thing missing is The Devil’s Dance from Witches of Eastwick, which was performed during the concert last month (but perhaps it wasn’t recorded). Aside from that, it seems to contain everything that was mentioned in the various Facebook posts by Mutter over the last few months.

I don't understand why anyone would want the edition with less music, why even release it that way?

I understand going for a release with less music when it's an album intended as a complete musical experience by a composer/songwriter/producer (I abhor pop artists who put out "bonus track" editions.  You either intended the song for the album or you didn't, pick one).  But that's not what this is; it's a collection of independent miniatures, essentially.  More is more, not less, in this case.

I agree with Disco Stu

My only question now is do I go through the hassle of canceling my pre-order of the normal edition or just keep it and buy the deluxe too, in case there's anything unique about the normal...

Such great news to see the deluxe version has the additional tracks (minus The Devil's Dance).  It will be tough to wait the additional four weeks but definitely worth it.

I wonder if the two editions will have one of the two colors on the covers to differentiate them?  Like blue for standard and red for deluxe?  That'd be cool.

Image result for across the stars williams mutter

Image result for across the stars williams mutter

So was the shorter version of Hedwig's Theme a separate recording or just an edit of the complete version? I can't hear an obvious edit point in the single release, if it's an edited down version.

If they're different suites, it looks like the single version isn't included -- only the extended version. But the short version is available as a single, so not a huge deal.

I'm relieved the Deluxe Edition seems to have all the missing tracks included on disc one, but (like everyone else) perplexed about the entire release strategy. As for the only remaining mystery, unless Devil's Dance was mentioned in one of ASM's tweets I guess we should assume it wasn't recorded alongside the rest (unless they simply dropped it due to space constraints, which would suck!)

Fingers crossed.

I'm glad they're releasing a proper doco extrapolating on those vignettes with ASM and Williams; seemed like a waste of energy if they weren't planning to do something more substantial with all that footage.

Hopefully they're a little more insightful than the snippets released thus far. Would be nice to hear Williams actually answer that question about reinterpreting these themes for a different instrument, would be fascinating to hear his answer on Rey's Theme for example (other than just waxing lyrical about working with ASM).

18 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Han Solo and the Princess?

Did ASM mention this concert piece at some point? I'd be surprised if Williams re-arranged it again after only creating an entirely new suite less than 2 years ago...

On 6/14/2019 at 4:46 AM, TownerFan said:

"Markings" was surely recorded. I guess it might be presented on a separate future release featuring other concert pieces.

From pictures and social media postings, also "The Chairman's Waltz" from Geisha was definitely recorded (featuring Lynn Harrell on solo cello). Perhaps it'll be featured as digital-only exclusive, or on a future deluxe edition release.

Mutter also spoke about Leia's Theme and Han Solo and the Princess, but perhaps they weren't recorded.

On 1/17/2019 at 12:42 PM, mrbellamy said:

And looks like “Han Solo and the Princess” down there:

I can make out just enough to see that theme. No guarantee it was actually recorded, though.

Maybe including it would have pushed the CD over 80 minutes and they decided it was the weakest out of everything recorded.

I wonder if it will be on the DVD

As glad as I am that this cd is being released - and I am sure it’ll be great! - I have to confess that a lot of the chosen tracks aren’t in my constant rotation. In fact, a few of them I’d be hard pressed to even hum on demand.

That doesn’t mean I’ll not be able to appreciate this release, I am sure it’ll all be great. I think we are in for a treat! Quite possibly one of the greatest JW releases in a long, long time. So, I am sure each and every second of this CD will be breathtakingly good!

With that said, both The Devil’s Dance and Han Solo And The Princess are such classics, and favorites of mine, that it would had been fun to if the new arrangements of them would’ve been on this release.

But at the expense of what?

6 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

I wonder if the two editions will have one of the two colors on the covers to differentiate them?  Like blue for standard and red for deluxe?  That'd be cool.

The cover of the Deluxe edition can be seen on the Amazon link I posted

Normal cover: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71bUaW3Fa2L._SL1200_.jpg

Deluxe cover: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71d7XQf%2BReL._SL1200_.jpg

The blue cover was for the Hedwig's Theme single

And that proved my point LOL, I didn't even notice "Deluxe Edition" until you pointed it out.  They really should have done blue for one and red for the other.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bet there'll be an ultimate edition with the tracks that are still missing.

With added micro-edits, just for old time’s sake…

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

understand going for a release with less music when it's an album intended as a complete musical experience by a composer/songwriter/producer (I abhor pop artists who put out "bonus track" editions.  You either intended the song for the album or you didn't, pick one)

What about instances where they want the music heard but don't want it to be a part of the proper program. This is my favorite ever bonus track (on the CD it's unlisted):

I totally get why they put the track out, but also why they didn't put it in the album program proper.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

What about instances where they want the music heard but don't want it to be a part of the proper program

This is why the Good Lord invented EPs!

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is the best secret song!

Hahahaha! That's pretty good.

But it's hard to beat sampling the words "You bitch" and turning it into a Mozart like tune, and impromptu reenactments of Karate Kid.