ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

Anyone watching the concert live stream? I'm hearing most of these arrangements for the first time (I've skipped most of the preview clips, and I'm waiting for the Deluxe Edition of the CD). I'm anticipating a serious shit storm for Witches of Eastwick not being on the CDs now. That one was absolutely amazing.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And you didn't record it?!?

I think I have, at the very least, the audio from the concert. I had to set it up before running out of the house and have only spot checked the audio file. Last minute, I turned on QuickTime screen recording too. Will know more in a few hours. (I saw a bit of the stream live through, and it was incredible.)

Devil’s Dance was one of the reasons I wanted to capture this. It was amazing at Tanglewood, and I too was bummed Ms. Mutter did not get a chance to learn it in time for the April recording sessions in LA. JW had apparently just finished writing it, and there was just too much other stuff to do. They spoke about this on the NPR interview recently. 

Fingers crossed!

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

Look where I suddenly find myself.

C40862E2-34EE-451E-9404-700E0994B9C7.jpeg

6539648B-B321-4031-99BE-B3E1E20E6D26.jpeg

Fantastic! One of my best friends, Roberto, playing 4th chair cello with the RPO was telling me that she sounded absolutely fantastic during the rehearsals and the concert. Completely different to the CD. Hope you had an amazing time. He said when they played ET he looked up and it was a full moon and that it made it even more special. He also mentioned that his favorite was Sabrina. He also said that originally they were contracted to do the album with her. Not sure why they changed it although he said "I think it's because he is sick".... I hope there is nothing more than him not being able to travel.

As for seeing it, he asked me to find it online as it was televised and should be online right now, so we should be able to see the concert.

2 hours ago, ocelot said:

Fantastic! One of my best friends, Roberto, playing 4th chair cello with the RPO was telling me that she sounded absolutely fantastic during the rehearsals and the concert. Completely different to the CD. Hope you had an amazing time. He said when they played ET he looked up and it was a full moon and that it made it even more special. He also mentioned that his favorite was Sabrina. He also said that originally they were contracted to do the album with her. Not sure why they changed it although he said "I think it's because he is sick".... I hope there is nothing more than him not being able to travel.

As for seeing it, he asked me to find it online as it was televised and should be online right now, so we should be able to see the concert.

Cool.  The sick bit would be referring back to April.  He is clearly fine, other than the difficulties of international travel.  

5 hours ago, lairdo said:

I think I have, at the very least, the audio from the concert. I had to set it up before running out of the house and have only spot checked the audio file. Last minute, I turned on QuickTime screen recording too. Will know more in a few hours. (I saw a bit of the stream live through, and it was incredible.)

So, what I have is fine but needs clean up. I have the entire audio other than maybe a few seconds of the announcer at the very beginning. However, I also found about a dozen sub second drop outs I need to edit. The video is more messy with me switching windows at the start and then an annoying calendar entry that popped up for the entire time! So, some people may have better copies. I have a plan to address the issues, but not sure when I will get to it. I also am hoping the site has the video up for a few days, and I can try to capture that. I think I saw a note saying it was going to be live until 13 October, but then the only video on that page was the trailer. Perhaps it will get populated tomorrow with the full concert. 

Sadly that YouTuber didn't record the entire concert and missed the Witches of Eastwick performance! :( But he said there's some highlights package airing on the Oct 3?

Watching that performance, it's a shame Williams couldn't be there. If not for Star Wars, I wonder if he would've attempted another trip to Europe for this?

And even though he was initially hesitant, it seems he really enjoyed the heck out of this collaboration with ASM. Honestly wouldn't be shocked if they had a Volume 2 in the next few years.

50 minutes ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Full concert is available (only connections from Germany allowed or with VPN) at https://www.3sat.de/kultur/festspielsommer/anne-sophie-mutter-spielt-filmmusik-100.html

Thank you mate! Glad my VPN has German servers :D

I've downloaded in case it's only up temporarily, would recommend others do the same if they wish to keep this performance. Gotta say, there's some excellent camerawork throughout the concert, great production values.

10 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Unfortunately the quality of the stream is rather limited. I'm waiting for news from a friend who might have a better source than the on-line live stream and on-demand file.

The 720p stream isn't too bad if you change the quality settings. Not perfect, but probably the best we'll get unless it was broadcast in 1080p and someone from Germany recorded it.

6 hours ago, lairdo said:

However, I also found about a dozen sub second drop outs I need to edit.

I had those in my live stream as well, and according to a friend who watched it live on TV, they were also in the TV broadcast. So probably the archived stream won't be any better.

Also, the "live" broadcast was time shifted by about 45 minutes and possibly edited. Perhaps that explains the absence of Yoda's Theme and I believe one or two others.

10 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

are there any public full recordings of the new arrangement of Leia’s theme? really keen to hear the first minute of new material people have mentioned.

It's right there in @Timo Martikainen's link.

Stunning new opening indeed. A delicate dance between solo harp, celeste, french horn and flute lead into Golden-Age Hollywood strings before a fragment of Leia's theme is introduced on oboe. We move back to solo flute, harp, then eventually all strings before the violin enters for the main melody.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

It's right there in @Timo Martikainen's link.

Lovely new opening indeed. A delicate dance between harp, celeste, solo french horn and flutes leads us into very gentle Golden-Age Hollywood strings before hints of Leia's melody appear on oboe. More flute and harp leads us into strings and, at least, solo violin for the theme itself.

I am not able to view the content at that link

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I had those in my live stream as well, and according to a friend who watched it live on TV, they were also in the TV broadcast. So probably the archived stream won't be any better.

Also, the "live" broadcast was time shifted by about 45 minutes and possibly edited. Perhaps that explains the absence of Yoda's Theme and I believe one or two others.

Oh, thanks for confirming. Glad that was not my fault! 

On the time shifting, I think only the first half was time shifted so that there was no intermission on the broadcast. Could be wrong about that. According to the track list I saw, Yoda's Theme was not on the intended playlist. 

I too have Germany on my VPN, and I will try to download as well.

"Leia" sounds lovely, but this is no reinvention a la "Han Solo and the Princess."  It's basically a slow, reverent, violin-focused take on the concert version.  There's some nice slow-motion noodling around the edges of the opening ostinato, but to my ear, that's about it.

I heard a brief snippet of Leia and it does sound gorgeous. Honestly, waiting for the 27th  Sept release album to enjoy it fully. RAIDERS was pretty interesting, at first I was worried if it would be an entire Violin affair- it turned out to be an orchestral overture with certain sections on violin accompanying the orchestra . I'll need to hear this again. But it did work out fine. And WITHCES OF EASTWICK was too good and dare I say, Wicked!

Will this concert performance be on DVD- Blu ray later on?

8 hours ago, Thor said:

You and your cigars, rough cut! Do you actually smoke them, or are they just for ornamentation?

On average, I smoke about one a day. Come rain or come shine.

But there’s something special about having a CD you’ve looked forward to and sitting down, listening to it with a good smoke.

But you’re right, I tend to take these pictures beforehand, next release I’ll post while smoking. 😊

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Isn't the Raiders arrangement missing from both versions of the CD as well? Haven't watched that part of the concert yet. 

Yes, but it is the Original-Arrangement.

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Williams already did a solo violin arrangement of the Raiders March? Or did they just reinterpret the piece themselves? 

It was almost an in-joke performance, in the sense that it was Mutter performing on top of the original concert version, not a specific new arrangement for violin. In one of the recent interviews, she said she'd love to join the orchestra even when they perform regular pieces, so I guess that was that.

In general, it was a terrific concert. The live-mixing as heard on the broadcast wasn't very good, they kept all the focus on the solo violin and the strings section, while other sections sound muffled. However, Newman is an excellent conductor and did a great job. Mutter performed even better than on the album, imho.

Makes you wish they hadn't rushed to record the album this spring while JW was supposed to be focused on Ep 9, if she was gonna keep getting better at playing his arrangements and he still wasn't done writing them all.  Oh well.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

while JW was supposed to be focused on Ep 9,

This seems awfully presumptuous.  I don't think Williams would have scheduled it this way if he thought it would be taking anything away from Episode IX.

A second volume with a new violin concerto + some further film arrangements would be incredible. We already know Williams wrote some arrangements that didn't make the first album, so clearly he was enthused and energized by the project.

Reminds me a bit of COS, how William Ross told him to stop sending through new cues but he just couldn't stop writing (even as the sessions were underway).

Wow that was a terrific concert! Mutter actually sounded even better live than on CD and now I really would love to hear her record Devil's Dance from the Witches of Eastwick.