ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

Yes, Eastwick was amazing!  That one, along with "Hedwig" and a few others, really represent interesting departures from the originals, as if Williams is remodeling the house rather than just rearranging the furniture.

Another volume would be amazing, but I'd also love to see him do a similar project with Gloria Cheng on the piano, or maybe one with a flutist.

During our interview with Ms. Mutter, she said that Williams was creating a violin-piano reduction for the Cinderella Liberty track. I would love for that to be on a future album - with Williams on the piano! (And Gloria Cheng is a nice option too.)

What an absolute delight! So glad to be able to listento/watch this concert in its entirety.

The yet unreleased arrangements are truly wonderful.

And the sound is pretty good, for a live outdoor perfomance. I might even add that the "harshness" that was pointed in the CD performance is much reduced here, probably due to two things: Mutter's further familiarity with the pieces as well as a more distant micing setup (studio recording tends to locate the mics much nearer to the violin).

10 hours ago, lairdo said:

I was fortunate to arrange for Ms. Mutter to be on the IndyCast Magic of John Williams specials that I co-host. The show went live this morning.

http://theindycast.com/the-magic-of-john-williams-45-anne-sophie-mutter/

During our interview (which is the first 35 mins of the special), we briefly talked about Marion’s theme - although she gave nothing away about encore that happened at the concert. (Our interview as on Wednesday, 11 September.) I do not think, though, based on her chat that this Raiders March was a specific Williams arrangement. I think she might have been more specific about that, and in listening to it, I feel she was just playing on top. I will see if I can find out more.

She also hinted strongly about a possible violin concerto.

She was a charming person to speak to, and she loves this music as has been evident in the album, at Tanglewood and on the Saturday Munich concert. 

A violin concerto would be amazing.  Quite frankly, the Dracula piece sounds like a nice third or fourth movement of a violin concerto.  While I like William's more abstract approach to concert works, I would love a violin concerto in a film/concert hybrid mode, like with Dracula or the Memoirs suite for cello.  

The exactly programm in Munich:

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
"Star Wars Main Title"

"Theme" from Jurassic Park (NOT ON TV)

Anne-Sophie Mutter
"Rey's Theme" from Star Wars VII
"Across the Stars" from Star Wars II
"Donnybrook Fair" from Far and Away

"Harry’s Wondrous World" from Harry Potter

Anne-Sophie Mutter
"Night Journeys" from Dracula
"Princess Leia’s Theme" from Star Wars IV
"The Devil’s Dance" from The Witches of Eastwick

-Break-

"Superman March"

Anne-Sophie Mutter

"Theme" from  Sabrina (NOT ON TV)
"Sayuri’s Theme" from Memoirs of a Geisha
"The Duel" From The Adventures of Tintin

"The Flying Theme" from  E.T.

Anne-Sophie Mutter

"The Chairman’s Waltz" from Memoirs of a Geisha (NOT ON TV)
"Nice to be Around" from Cinderella Liberty
"Hedwig’s Theme" from Harry Potter

Encores
"Prayer for Peace" from Munich
"Theme" from  Schindler's List
"Raiders March" from Raiders of the Lost Ark

11 hours ago, Amer said:

I'd love to see Leaving Home cue from SUPERMAN as a new arrangement. It could be breadthtaking. 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29271-new-arrangement-of-leaving-home-performed-at-the-oscars/

23 hours ago, lairdo said:

I was fortunate to arrange for Ms. Mutter to be on the IndyCast Magic of John Williams specials that I co-host. The show went live this morning.

During our interview (which is the first 35 mins of the special), we briefly talked about Marion’s theme - although she gave nothing away about encore that happened at the concert. (Our interview as on Wednesday, 11 September.) I do not think, though, based on her chat that this Raiders March was a specific Williams arrangement. I think she might have been more specific about that, and in listening to it, I feel she was just playing on top. I will see if I can find out more.

She was a charming person to speak to, and she loves this music as has been evident in the album, at Tanglewood and on the Saturday Munich concert.

Very good interview, guys. You asked all the good questions. Keep up the good work!

15 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Very good interview, guys. You asked all the good questions. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed.

Sad that Sabrina was not shown as Roberto said it was the best one according to him and many others in the orchestra.

13 hours ago, Jay said:
On 9/16/2019 at 10:23 PM, Amer said:

I'd love to see Leaving Home cue from SUPERMAN as a new arrangement. It could be breadthtaking. 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29271-new-arrangement-of-leaving-home-performed-at-the-oscars/

To be alive during the "ask and ye shall receive" sunset renaissance of JW.

About the concert upload - oh those Night Journeys! - link seems to be dead, but I had at least watched through Prayer for Peace. Really enjoyable, sometimes you just wanted a little relief from the mix but my word what performance excellence and a well produced visual treat. David Newman knows from JW and violin. Mutter is so powerful, only minutely flagging in tuning by late in the marathon. Minor quibble: the violin doing consecutive passages at one point in Leia that had originally been handed off to the violin from another section, winds or brass (writing this up the next day), thus some effect was flattened right there...a small detail. And in defence of the mix, it was on the fly and quite solid for the most part. Beautiful setting.

13 hours ago, Amer said:

Here is the DELUXE EDITION packaging!

70109994_1190640627805660_2390352349097885696_n.jpg

They had this on sale on the concert in Munich this weekend, so I picked up a copy.

Haven’t had time to listen to it - or even open up the wrapper - it’s been lying waiting for me now for five days! 😂

I’m hoping to get round to it this weekend.

7 minutes ago, rough cut said:

They had this on sale on the concert in Munich this weekend, so I picked up a copy.

Haven’t had time to listen to it - or even open up the wrapper - it’s been lying waiting for me now for five days! 😂

Really?! The deluxe edition (with all the bonus tracks) isn't meant to be available until late next week, so you have a very exclusive set sitting around in plastic wrapping! 

The standard ed was signed in a limited quantity, so I picked that one up.

The deluxe wasn’t signed but I knew I’d want that one too I picked that one up as well. I’ll post a pic when I get home in a few hours if you want.

I'm planning on adding my own shelving to my office in the future.  For now I'm using the same shelves I had for decades, that have moved with me through college, 3 apartments, my condo, and now my house!

10 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I haven’t even removed the shrink wrap. 😂

My plan is to open it up this weekend and enjoy the deluxe tracks with a nice smoke!

Is the box as big as a dvd case? I have space for that in my music self!

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You've never had to purchase more CD shelves due to a growing collection?

Of course.  I started with 1, now I have 4.  But even the newest was purchased probably 10-15 years ago now.  At one point I went through all my DVDs and got rid of most of them.

20 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Is the box as big as a dvd case? I have space for that in my music self!

Yes, it’s DVD-size. It’s a digipack case. It feels sturdy. It’s beautiful. I have no idea about the booklet, pages, CD trays etc since it’s unopened at the moment. I’ll comment more this weekend if requested to.

Hi Everyone! 

Quick question, does anyone know if these arrangements are gonna be released as sheet music (Hal Leonhard edition, maybe?), for violin and orchestra or in the form of a violin/piano reduction? Maybe someone has heard something in this regard.. As a violinist

I'd love to get my hands on these arrangements and use them as encores or concert pieces! 

Cheers! 

7 hours ago, rough cut said:

I haven’t even removed the shrink wrap. 😂

My plan is to open it up this weekend and enjoy the deluxe tracks with a nice smoke!

I'm more curious about the DVD section, I wonder what else does it have on it besides the interviews we have already seen snippets of? Maybe a raw taping of Witches of Eastwick??

7 minutes ago, Amer said:

I'm more curious about the DVD section, I wonder what else does it have on it besides the interviews we have already seen snippets of? Maybe a raw taping of Witches of Eastwick??

It was never recorded.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, Madmartigan JC said:

Same here. Congrats!

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Lao Che said:

Hi Everyone! 

Quick question, does anyone know if these arrangements are gonna be released as sheet music (Hal Leonhard edition, maybe?), for violin and orchestra or in the form of a violin/piano reduction? Maybe someone has heard something in this regard.. As a violinist

I'd love to get my hands on these arrangements and use them as encores or concert pieces! 

Cheers! 

Ms. Mutter talked about the importance of these pieces for the repertoire which leads me to believe that they are going to be made available. No idea if she has some period where only she is allowed to play them (I would think that might be the case). My gut tells me that if JW is happy with the final versions, they will show up at some point. 

3 hours ago, Amer said:

I'm more curious about the DVD section, I wonder what else does it have on it /- - -/ Maybe a raw taping of Witches of Eastwick?

That seems highly unlikely. It’s probably just interview fluff.

I would have liked it to be the album in 5.1 surround sound, but that’d be advertised on both the back and front (and online) if it were so, so we can count that out.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:45 PM, lairdo said:

This was such a lovely interview and Mutter was so genuine, excited and articulate on this whole project and music in general. I loved how both the interviewers and the interviewee are geeking out over John Williams and his music. :lol: 

Thank you for sharing this! :) 

On 9/18/2019 at 5:29 AM, Amer said:

yeah,I know. Iam refering to Ann Sophie doing this version. Wouldnt it be cool to have it on cd?

Here is the DELUXE EDITION packaging!

70109994_1190640627805660_2390352349097885696_n.jpg

Well that certainly looks Deluxe. I can't wait to hear this version and all the extra tracks. :)

The DVD is just a bonus on top of the extra music and I expect it to be short and sweet interview and some background on the whole project, sort of like the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration III DVD.