ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

Wow, we're getting a lot of Star Wars themes: Rey's Theme, Across the Stars, Luke & Leia, and Han Solo and the Princess. We also have Harry Potter, Schindler's List, Dracula, Cinderella Liberty, and one or two from Memoirs of a Geisha. Am I missing any we know about? The CD has ten tracks, right?

The selection is certainly a nice mix of old favourites and rarer less heard works.

14 hours ago, pete said:

Wow, we're getting a lot of Star Wars themes: Rey's Theme, Across the Stars, Luke & Leia, and Han Solo and the Princess. We also have Harry Potter, Schindler's List, Dracula, Cinderella Liberty, and one or two from Memoirs of a Geisha. Am I missing any we know about? The CD has ten tracks, right?

She hashtagged Munich but not sure if that means the city itself or the movie Williams scored. A Prayer for Peace would be a great addition to the mix. 

19 hours ago, crumbs said:

She hashtagged Munich but not sure if that means the city itself or the movie Williams scored. A Prayer for Peace would be a great addition to the mix. 

Munich, the city, as she will be playing this pieces there.

The whole concert with Staatskapelle Berlin (including "Markings", "Across the Stars" and "Schindler's List") was apparently aired on Norwegian TV a few days ago. I missed it, but it's available on NRK's net TV (but perhaps not abroad, I don't know). Also includes interview with Mutter about Williams:

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/hovedscenen-tv/2019/MKTV13010319/avspiller

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rpvee said:

Safe to assume this is also a new arrangement?

They're all new arrangements. It just remains to be seen how much they differ from the original pieces beyond a single violin carrying the melody. I'm assuming Williams enjoyed putting these together and added new touches ala Across The Stars.

20 hours ago, pete said:

They're all new arrangements. It just remains to be seen how much they differ from the original pieces beyond a single violin carrying the melody. I'm assuming Williams enjoyed putting these together and added new touches ala Across The Stars.

Yay!! Thanks. Fingers crossed it's more in line with the arrangement/mood used in TLJ.

8 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Tanglewood tickets went on sale today, including Mutter's "Across the Stars" concert in July, for anyone who's interested. I'll be there and excited to hear the new arrangements.

I bought tickets as well! I've never actually been to Tanglewood before, so looking forward to my first journey. If enough people are going, maybe we can do a JWFan meet up!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

EDIT: September?! So farrrrrrrrrrrr.........

I wonder why she does not mention Tanglewood in July. That's sort of open air, and I think she is playing all these pieces there.

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Never mind Tintin and Tintin. How about this "Ray's Theme"? 

Indeed. Perhaps she meant Roy from the Close Encounters. Didn't know he had a theme.

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

!niT niT

giphy-13.gif

Yes we are !niT niT picky bunch, aren't we. ;) 

I wonder how many of these arrangements there are in total. Certainly looks like a CD's worth for certain. 

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Yes we are !niT niT picky bunch, aren't we. ;) 

I wonder how many of these arrangements there are in total. Certainly looks like a CD's worth for certain. 

There was talk of ten pieces, but 11 have been mentioned. Perhaps by Princess Leia she meant "Luke and Leia"? That would give us the ten. I'm hoping there's more though!

Dracula

Cinderella Liberty

Memories of A Geisha 

Schindler's List 

Tintin - I'm assuming The Duel

Harry Potter

Munich

Across The Stars

Luke & Leia

Rey's Theme

Princes Leia's Theme 

7 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Wouldn't Snowy's Theme be more likely?

The Duel came to mind first as it's the main concert piece from the score. Just a hunch. Listening to Snowy's Theme now for the first time in a while, and yeah that would certainly make for a fun piece for solo violin. 

3 hours ago, pete said:

The Duel came to mind first as it's the main concert piece from the score. Just a hunch. Listening to Snowy's Theme now for the first time in a while, and yeah that would certainly make for a fun piece for solo violin. 

Perhaps we will finally get a proper concert arrangement of Tintin's actual theme! ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

I love those old adobe buildings on the backlot at Universal and particularly around Amblin's offices. 

And is that a BMW 7 Series (circa 2015) parked in John Williams' spot?

Agreed that JW and Anne-Sophie look awesome in the photo. Looking forward to July 7 at Tanglewood!

3 minutes ago, lairdo said:

And is that a BMW 7 Series (circa 2015) parked in John Williams' spot?

That's what it looks like.

Good spot.

I remember wondering at some point what JW would drive. A big ol’ bimmer makes sense, although it’d be neat if he drove a Tesla. 

I idly wonder how many “ordinary” activities he has in his daily or weekly routines. Do you think he goes to the supermarket (Whole Paycheck? Maybe even boring old Vons??). Or goes to the post office or orders food to his door? Would someone ever see him in the TSA screening line at LAX?