ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

Robbed of a clean studio recording for HS&TP yet again! It's our lot in life to suffer. 

I'd guess if they were recorded they'll eventually turn up. I predict the album reached 80 minutes so they had to cut a few tracks, and they already had 5 other Star Wars tracks on there (including another love theme), so it fell victim. It's a fairly long arrangement too, about 7 minutes. 

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If that turns out to be true AND they had announced that edition right from the start, allowing first day customers to choose between the regular release and the complete one (even if that meant waiting for a few more weeks), it would have been sensible marketing.

sensible marketing, isn't that an oxymoron? ;-)

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It would be nice if the  full performances of the missing tracks were in the dvd....

Certainly possible. Maybe we could tweet ASM and ask if they were recorded? 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Jay said:

I agree with Disco Stu

My only question now is do I go through the hassle of canceling my pre-order of the normal edition or just keep it and buy the deluxe too, in case there's anything unique about the normal...

I would cancel every order, wait until you can listen to and verify the contents of both versions and thhen order whatever you prefer.

Well I cancelled my order on the regular edition at Amazon.de and re-ordered the Deluxe version. Such a curious move to announce and make available for order these two versions at different times.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:27 AM, TownerFan said:

I love it. JW morphed the original composition into a melancholic Brahms-like romanza for violin. If all the new arrangements he did for ASM are powerful like this one, it's gonna be a very special album.

John spent decades elevating fantasies with inspired themes that took their subjects seriously. Yet the films were not serious dramas and the music could not dwell in the realm of the thoughtful and profound for long. He can create that kind of art also, but the famous melodies are usually from lighter fare. The CD is 75% from fantasy/comedy, as you might expect of a hits compilation. Yet the Neoromantic virtuoso arrangements allow the composer to treat these magical themes a touch more seriously, give us a glimpse of where they might have gone in a different kind of story. I haven't heard the whole album, just enough to see what some have described as dark or melancholy is part of the vision. It's not time or distance in my view. John is showing the potential of these great themes in a way that just wasn't possible before.

Along with sweet references to the original context :)

Now, just a damn minute!

Bes, you posted "gerontophilia" (which was, btw, so funny, I almost wiped my balls, instead of wiping my ass, on the toilet, while reading it!), but you say "in fire"? Have you been taking English lessons, you sly dog?

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute!

Bes, you posted "gerontophilia" (which was, btw, so funny, I almost wiped my balls, instead of wiping my ass, on the toilet, while reading it!), but you say "in fire"? Have you been taking English lessons, you sly dog?

I'm taking greek lessons in fact!

:lol:

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Nice...apart from the inevitable self-congratulatory photographs, and the fawning "dedications". There's only one of me; do I get "dedications"? Do I 'eck!

Still, anything with NIGHT JOURNEYS on it, is worth a listen.

The PR department work-shopped some disparaging photographs and excoriating dedications, but they did not go over very well.  

13 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

(...), Mutter's style of playing is slightly different than Perlman's.

Mutter don't play "à la jewish" of course.

Nobody can't beat Perlman on Schindler's List Theme (and on many other things!).

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Mutter don't play "à la jewish" of course.

Nobody can't beat Perlman on Schindler's List Theme (and on many other things!).

I dunno, the live LSO performance last year was pretty pretty great.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Music isn't a competition!  At the technical level of Mutter and Perlman it’s just taste and interpretation

Her Mozart’s Turkish concerto with Karajan is among by favourite interpretation of this work, even if Karajan slowered the tempo a bit for her. She was what, 13-14 yo on this historical recording?

31139636-1AD2-4198-9E9B-485363368AFC.jpeg

Between the "normal" and the "deluxe" version of the CD, there are 5 new musical tracks, that's strange.

I'll wait.

That's why it's called deluxe.

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Music isn't a competition!  At the technical level of Mutter and Perlman it’s just taste and interpretation

But who's got the best taste?

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's why it's called deluxe.

Normally, a "deluxe" edition adds a DVD with an interview, or a poster (haha), not additional tracks on the first CD.

You see, she always loved to work with young artists of the next generation!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png