ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Right, but TFA is much better. Plus, I've heard both JJ and Johnsnon being interviewed about JW. JJ loves his music to death and JW is equally positive about JJ, while Johnson just sounds bored all the time.

Would love to see an example of Johnson sounding bored talking about JW, seems hilarious

I can't remember where, but someone once posted a link to a podcast here in which a Scottish lady was interviewing Johnson. She kept pressing him to elaborate on working with Williams and to me it sounded like Johnson found it a bit irritating. What he did say just... didn't sound genuine. When I listen to JJ, he sounds much more enthusiastic.

I think Rian is just not as much of a musical person as JJ is, and therefore the relationship with Williams perhaps wasn’t as fruitful as it could have been. That has nothing to do with the genuine praise they seem to have for him.

...However, TLJ’s score was much more prominent in the movie than the arguably more refined score of TFA. So I’m happy both exist anyway.

Yeah I don’t know what y’all are talking about...I remember being curious/skeptical myself to hear what RJ would think of the JW experience and figured he’d be more measured than JJ, anyway, but he was every bit the fanboy.

I also remember Johnson fawning over Williams just as much as J.J. did—which is why I was shocked that the TLJ score was so bland overall compared to TFA.  I honestly think they got along great; it's just that Johnson made a self-important film with few new characters, little action, and less fun, and that didn't lend itself to much memorable or even novel music.  Apart from Rose's Theme, which is great but narratively unjustified by her tangential status in the story, the only really memorable original material in the film occurs in the otherwise abysmal Canto Bight sequence.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

What a load of rubbish

I read this in the Troll voice from Unexpected Journey.

Dunno why I need to say this but whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 6:36 PM, bollemanneke said:

Right, but TFA is much better. Plus, I've heard both JJ and Johnsnon being interviewed about JW. JJ loves his music to death and JW is equally positive about JJ, while Johnson just sounds bored all the time.

Johnson prefers to talk about his cousin.

The full track is available for me? Listened to a minute or so but I'll save the rest until Friday night and end the week on a high! 

It's lovely of course. 

Woohoo, Australia wins again! 

I wonder why the decision to release one track as a single? I hope we don't have to wait too long for more... 

Very cool excerpt from Hedwig's theme. Much better than the arrangement of Across the Stars!

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I love this sample, but can't help wishing she'd have played the original violin part, which was already amazing.

What are you talking about? There's no solo violin part in the original arrangement of Hedwig's theme.

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Did anyone else get a little internal fanboy cheer at the image of John Williams next to the Deutsche Grammophon logo?

He finally conquers the classical world's prejudices and gets the respect that is due. Like a good finale

Well, don’t forget his name already accompanied the DG logo this past January... and in 2001 for Treesong.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Very cool excerpt from Hedwig's theme. Much better than the arrangement of Across the Stars!

What are you talking about? There's no solo violin part in the original arrangement of Hedwig's theme.

Well, the original version has violin notes, right?

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Well, the original version has violin notes, right?

So you'd prefer her to be a part of one of the violin sections of the orchestra while they performed the original arrangement? You must be joking!

13 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

"Perfectly balanced, as all things should be" - John Williams to Shawn Murphy

At the end of the Rise of Skywalker sessions

"Destiny fulfilled"