ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

4 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I was saddened to see quite a few people in my section leaving during the encores. By the time Williams came to close things out with his final encore, I was one of only 4 people that remained in my row in the middle section. Seeing people walking out with their backs to the orchestra during Indy just felt really wrong, haha. Is it to get ahead of the traffic or something? This was a once in a lifetime experience, you spent the money to get the tickets, you made the trip out there. Why can you not just sit there and enjoy the entire concert? Why must people always be in a rush to not enjoy things in life? Perhaps I'm overreacting. Was just a bit upsetting. 

Traffic is tough--a packed parking lot and a couple country roads, but yes, unacceptable.  They were probably people for whom Tanglewood is a yearly or even more so event. 

9 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Someone got a video of part of the closing performance of Indy. 

Great video! That piece practically conducts itself after so many years, but I love the subtle performance touches Williams provides. Note the instruction to the brass section to cool their volume around 1:30.

The hardest moment for a JWFan is the day after a live concert with new premieres when there's not even the grainiest flip-phone footage to be found.

43 minutes ago, igger6 said:

The hardest moment for a JWFan is the day after a live concert with new premieres when there's not even the grainiest flip-phone footage to be found.

I don’t think it’d be allowed to be posted anyway.

34 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Of course it would. If somebody was at a concert and recorded something on the phone himself, then he shared it on youtube, everyone can put links on forums or social medias. There is nothing illegal about it.

1 hour ago, Ricard said:

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/john-williams-takes-concertgoers-on-a-journey-across-the-stars-at-tanglewood,578857

The quartet of encores included the haunting "Yoda's Theme" from "Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back," and "Remembrances" from "Schindler's List," which Williams described as his favorite segment, "but Steven Spielberg liked the Main Theme better."

Interesting, especially considering he presents it a lot less in concerts than the main theme. I seem to remember an interview where he told that Remembrances was the very first thing he wrote after seeing the film with Spielberg, but he realized he needed something different for the final sequence.

I vaguely recall reading that before, that Williams preferred Remembrances and intended it to be the score's signature idea, but Spielberg preferred the Main Theme instead. And who can blame him, it works brilliantly in those final 5-6 minutes.

4 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Interesting, especially considering he presents it a lot less in concerts than the main theme. I seem to remember an interview where he told that Remembrances was the very first thing he wrote after seeing the film with Spielberg, but he realized he needed something different for the final sequence.

Yes, that was on the same interview were he mentioned that he wanted to arrange the theme for Yo-Yo Ma.

11 hours ago, rpvee said:

Why would you think that?

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why would you think that?

Well, bootlegs and such aren’t allowed to be shared here. I assumed that extends into posting other people’s, or from YouTube or wherever.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

What are the odds of JW offering ASM a guest soloist cue or two in TROS?

I've been wondering. After Dudamel guest starring on TFA, it doesn't seem unthinkable if the score has a prominent violin solo in the first place. Especially given ASM's fangirl enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, rpvee said:

Well, bootlegs and such aren’t allowed to be shared here. I assumed that extends into posting other people’s, or from YouTube or wherever.

We have endless threads here full of youtube videos....

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Traffic is tough--a packed parking lot and a couple country roads, but yes, unacceptable.  They were probably people for whom Tanglewood is a yearly or even more so event. 

Of course, Williams could write some exit music.  "Go to West Street, Take a Right." 

Yes, quoting myself indicates some sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel, not to mention the joke itself.  Why won't they just release Leia's Theme and be done with it. 

It's so weird seeing Jay Dubs in a collared shirt, in a good way! Who even knew he had such things in his wardrobe? 

Also, he looks like he's in his early 70s there! 

Saying like Master Yoda, "What a wonderful concert it must have been" :) And they recorded it! I counted shots from at least six cameras. I think there is a good chance that they'll  release a blu ray :)

My usual way of consuming music on a regular basis rarely includes putting on a blu ray, so while I consider it good news if it was, a video release isn’t my first wish.

But it it was recorded, I wouldn’t mind a lossless audio release on the Tanglewood website!

Well, Julia Ormond would certainly feel like shit hearing that! And I didn't realise Williams scored Duel...

Oh, how I wish we had a high-resolution GIF of John's funny little wave at 11:13.

56 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well, Julia Ormond would certainly feel like shit hearing that!

I had forgotten about that comment! I had the same thought - poor Julia Ormond. But it is also interesting to imagine that Williams always had Hepburn in mind even when scoring the remake with picture in front of him.

it sounds a bit too witches of eastwick-y

And the for Galaxy's Edge the transition of the opening fanfare to the strings that follow sound basically the same as the edit in the official release

According to Deutsche Grammophon Store the CD edition will be limited digipack!

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/

I hate digipacks, especially the limited ones.

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028947975533/anne-sophie-mutter-john-williams/across-the-stars-ltd-digipack-/index.html

14 minutes ago, E-Wan said:

According to Deutsche Grammophon Store the CD edition will be limited digipack!

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/

I hate digipacks, especially the limited ones.

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028947975533/anne-sophie-mutter-john-williams/across-the-stars-ltd-digipack-/index.html

I hope they will release unlimited jewel case CD edition with bonus tracks "Markings" and "Remembrances" later :P