ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

19 hours ago, E-Wan said:

According to Deutsche Grammophon Store the CD edition will be limited digipack!

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/

I hate digipacks, especially the limited ones.

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028947975533/anne-sophie-mutter-john-williams/across-the-stars-ltd-digipack-/index.html

Which probably means the regular release will be on a jewel case.

It's fine but I am a bit confused with the Witches of Eastwick/Potter/Schindler's workforce ending..... It doesn't go in my book. I do actually love that type of writing, but it just comes out of left field in a piece that doesn't use those harmonies anywhere beforehand.....

On 7/5/2019 at 3:02 PM, JohnnyD said:

Ah, man! If only I could afford to get a high quality record player! I cannot wait to here the entire album, though. I just wish that "Remembrances" from Schindler's List and "Markings" was not an LP exclusive.

Nearly every album I've purchased on vinyl in the last five years has had a code for a digital download.  Perhaps they do the same for the 10".

All of this will obviously lead to a not very good album done by two artists on their decline, done without the help of a real producer, a forgettable album that no one will recommend.

Did I already said I have a bad feeling about this?

Geez, they advertise it since more than one year, is it out yet?

On 7/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, TJH132 said:

Nearly every album I've purchased on vinyl in the last five years has had a code for a digital download.  Perhaps they do the same for the 10".

Interesting.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, JohnnyD said:

If that is the case, would you be willing to PM me with "Markings" and "Remembrances"? If not, then I guess that is okay. It is what it is, I guess.

@JohnnyD, it is against the rules of this forum to ask other members to send you copyrighted material on the public forums.  Please familiarize yourself with the rules before posting again

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

On 7/27/2019 at 1:55 AM, Bespin said:

All of this will obviously lead to a not very good album done by two artists on their decline

Excuse me?

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Excuse me?

This will not be an album of the caliber of « Yo-Yo plays John Williams », can we agree?

On 7/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, Bespin said:

All of this will obviously lead to a not very good album done by two artists on their decline, done without the help of a real producer, a forgettable album that no one will recommend.

Did I already said I have a bad feeling about this?

Geez, they advertise it since more than one year, is it out yet?

In what ways are ASM or JW in any kind of decline, exactly? Your comment is absurd. 

DG is promoting this hard because they know they have a hit on their hands. I’ll be interested to see the sales figures.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

John looks and sounds fantastic here, full of energy and spirit. If he's this sprightly writing TROS, I reckon we're in for one hell of a final Star Wars score. 

Nah he just had ten cups of coffee so he can keep up with JJ’s revisions :biglaugh:

Amazon US link for 1CD edition: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SVKRGBM

Amazon US link for 2CD edition: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4RYM68

EDIT: Oh, weird.  While the page itself calls the product "Across the Stars Deluxe", when you add it to your cart then go look at your cart, it's title there is "Across the Stars [CD/DVD][Deluxe]".  So I guess the Deluxe is the same 1CD edition, just with a bonus DVD, and not a second disc of music.  Lame.

Ok, dug around some more and it looks like it’s actually a CD + DVD. And unfortunately, the CD has exact same track list.

DVD will be nice, but come on, DG. Just let us buy all the music!

(in Italian)

https://www.ibs.it/across-stars-deluxe-edition-cd-john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter/e/0028948374595

Some more details about the DVD content from that above link (translated from Italian):

“The album is available in 3 formats: the standard CD is coming out on August 30th and on September 27th the double vinyl and deluxe CD + DVD version will be available (the video material includes the interview with Mutter and Williams plus 5 tracks unpublished including the first worldwide recording of the new song Markings dedicated to Mutter).”

31 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

(the video material includes the interview with Mutter and Williams plus 5 tracks unpublished including the first worldwide recording of the new song Markings dedicated to Mutter).”

Does that cover everything that we thought should be included but isn't? Off the top of my head, she's tweeted about Markings and Remembrances (both on the vinyl) plus Prayer for Peace, Chairman's Waltz and Leia's Theme. Could they be the 5?

Either way, what a thorough mess.

I mean nice that the music will be officially released--you bet your gold-plated ass I'm gonna get Munich-- but yo, on DVD? What exactly do they expect us to do, pop it in a player and rip the performances? I'll take a Bouzaereau disc with audio interview over this! "Hello! This is Laurent Bouzeareau. Here I have two extraordinary musicians and world class talents Annie Sophie Mutter and John Williams...."

So...

1. Williams and Mutter record a bunch of music
  2. Someone decides to only include SOME of the recorded music on the official CD
  3. Someone decides to include the rest of the recorded music on the vinyl edition only
  4. Someone decides to release a deluxe 2-disc edition after all, but instead of containing all the recorded music like you can get on the vinyl, it includes a video DVD that happens to include those pieces as part of it

What fun.

And we still don't know if the streaming/digital/download edition will have the CD tracklist or the vinyl track list, right?

You find it odd that people question why the vinyl release and CD release of the same project has a wildly different amount of music?

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Pity JWFan can't just look forward to the fact that we have newly arranged recordings of Williams  music coming. There's always has to be this level of angry entitlement.

Coming, but on what, exactly how, which ones, why not all if they spent the time and money to record them, why does DG suck ass at communicating this?

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

And we still don't know if the streaming/digital/download edition will have the CD tracklist or the vinyl track list, right?

Apple Music / iTunes already shows the CD track list:

E348A6C2-E70E-4EA1-92A4-A0074151723B.jpeg