ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It must be bloody difficult playing violin with a horde of glowing yellow and purple ropes attacking you.

Well if anyone can handle that it is surely Anne-Sophie Mutter.

google translation from https://www.frankenpost.de/region/feuilleton/Anne-Sophie-Mutter-spielt-bei-Openair-Filmmusik-aus-Star-Wars;art6787,6327968

On September 14, 2019, she will be playing specially arranged pieces of famous film music by multiple Oscar winner John Williams at the Königsplatz in Munich on her first really great Open-Air. "This is a risk for me," said the exceptional artist on Friday - exactly one year before the concert - in front of journalists in Munich.

Mutter  called the compositions of her friend Williams "heroic-majestic music". Most of the works performed at the open air, among others from "Schindler's List" or "The Geisha" are currently being rewritten for violin. Next spring, Mother will record the arrangements on CD together with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of David Newman - titled "Across The Stars".

Mutter, who persistently refuses mainstream music in the classical music market and appears almost exclusively in concert halls, spoke of "great concern" that at an open-air festival because of the electronic amplification "the subtlety and intimacy" of the violin sound could be lost. On the other hand, film music is being written for reinforced spaces. She wants to play the concert on her precious Stradivari violin if possible. Peter Schwenkow from the organizer DEAG classics explained that the stage is covered with a barely visible curtain to keep the wind and rain from the musicians. German Television ZDF will send the Openair.

Anne-Sophie Mutter

I am super excited to perform "Across the Stars" live with repertoire from the great John Williams especially arranged for me, together with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and David Newman on September 14 next year at Königsplatz Munich! My first real big open air ever!!!

👍👍👍

On 9/16/2018 at 9:32 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

So do we know if JW's doing any of these arrangements?

That's what she said. And it's not surprising as he wrote last years's concert piece Markings for her.

I quite like her Schindler's List performance here:

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I know she's great and all and I like her Bach repertoire a lot, but that Schindler's List rendition really sounded wrong to me.

She stripped it down.  Not the approach I prefer, but it was interesting to hear her interpretation.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hornist said:

Of all his wonderful scores, why it has to be Dracula? Why? Why? 

We need LSO to re-record this score so you can finally open your ears and start appreciating it Pasi.

46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oooh, an official recording of Markings???  I thought that piece was a bit underrated here.

Not by me.  One of his strongest concert works.  Feels very fresh.

21 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Cinderella Liberty and Dracula, holy hot damn! If Johnny T.'s doing the arrangements...:wub:

Two scores I don’t own on CD... because they are unavaible. What a great idea!

:sarcasm:

• 3 weeks later...