New SACDs: Gerhardt Cond. Herrmann (CITIZEN KANE) and Waxman (SUNSET BOULEVARD)

Amer

• 10 months later...

In case you didn't know, Vocalion has issued two more albums from the series:

Charles Gerhardt - Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklós Rózsa & bonus track [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Charles Gerhardt - Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklós Rózsa & bonus track

[SACD Hybrid Multi-channel] 

Charles Gerhardt - Captain Blood: Classic Film Scores for Errol Flynn [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Charles Gerhardt - Captain Blood: Classic Film Scores for Errol Flynn

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4631

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4633

I have the Herrmann SACD, and it is brilliant! A great selection from various soundtracks, the playing is excellent and the sound as if it were a recent recording. Especially impressive is the multichannel sound with special instruments in the surround, e.g harps in 7 mile reef and drums in white witch doctor. The Rosza is next on my list.

Hmmm. I might have to get all of these. :) 

For a moment I thought there might be a new re-recording for Sunset Boulevard which I love to bits but these re-recordings are not bad news either.

Alas the old Varese re-recording of the complete score is rather hard to come by.

Which titles in the CSF series were issued in the 80's on CD with bonus tracks that were not on the LPs? I seem to recall The Sea Hawk was one of them. Apparently Sunset Boulevard was too, and unfortunately these were left off this latest issue (missing tapes?)

Glad they've retained the original LP art, much better than the Dolby Surround and recent re-issues.

Wonder if they'll do SW/ CE3K and ROTJ? Being Sony Music titles, I wonder if these are the last.

21 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I don't think the Williams ones are (except for TESB which Varese has).

You're of course right.

51 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Which titles in the CSF series were issued in the 80's on CD with bonus tracks that were not on the LPs? I seem to recall The Sea Hawk was one of them. Apparently Sunset Boulevard was too, and unfortunately these were left off this latest issue (missing tapes?)

You're right about The Sea Hawk and Sunset Boulevard. These expanded CD releases were both produced by Gerhardt himself. He planned to make further expanded releases from the CFS series, but then RCA decided they would just reissue the original programs. Then The Sea Hawk and Sunset Boulevand were also released as unexpanded albums. The only other CFS album with bonus tracks is the compilation album Spectacular World of Classic Film Scores.

52 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wonder if they'll do SW/ CE3K and ROTJ?

Good queston. I wonder why Sony didn't include these when they rereleased the CFS series some years back.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're right about The Sea Hawk and Sunset Boulevard. These expanded CD releases were both produced by Gerhardt himself. He planned to make further expanded releases from the CFS series, but then RCA decided they would just reissue the original programs. Then The Sea Hawk and Sunset Boulevand were also released as unexpanded albums. The only other CFS album with bonus tracks is the compilation album Spectacular World of Classic Film Scores.

Wasn't all the material for the expansions taken from other albums in the series anyway?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Good queston. I wonder why Sony didn't include these when they rereleased the CFS series some years back.

I'm still said about that.

19 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Wasn't all the material for the expansions taken from other albums in the series anyway?

Mostly, but at least The Sea Hawk contains previously unreleased music in Between Two World (2 minutes). And the sound is better.

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Mostly, but at least The Ses Hawk contains previously unreleased music in Between Two World (2 minutes).

I did not know that. But at least we have the 30 minute Mauceri recording for that.

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And the sound is better.

Better than the remasters?

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Better than the remasters?

I've only compared to the RCA's straight-up CD releases of the early 90s.

I only own the Tiomkin album among Sony's rereleases.

Btw, as you probably know, RCA's straight-up CD releases were in Dolby Surround - four channels. What kind of equipment would I need to play a surround CD? I've never heard of a CD player that supports more than two channels.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've only compared to the RCA's straight-up CD releases of the early 90s.

I only own the Tiomkin album among Sony's rereleases.

The Surround versions were supposed to sound worse than the original stereo releases. The new remasters sound clearer than the Surround ones, but I don't really know how they compare to the originals.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw, as you probably know, RCA's straight-up CD releases were in Dolby Surround - four channels. What kind of equipment would I need to play a surround CD? I've never heard of a CD player that supports more than two channels.

Dolby Surround Pro Logic is basically 4 channels encoded in standard Stereo. I.e. no special *player* equipment is necessary, it's the receiver that has to demux the Stereo signal into 4 separate streams for 5 speakers. The signal consists of the two standard stereo channels, a centre channel and a frequency limited mono channel for the rears. The centre, as far as I know, is simply the portion of the left and right channels that's identical, i.e. every standard Stereo signal would already contain a Dolby Surround Pro Logic centre channel automatically.

Many DVDs and Blu-rays encode Mono tracks as Stereo with two identical channels. If you play that as a Dolby Surround Pro Logic signal, you'll still get everything properly through your centre speaker, but unless the audio track has the necessary flags set to mark it as Dolby Surround Pro Logic, most receivers will switch back to plain Stereo. This is annoying, because my centre speaker is much better suited for dialogue than my main speakers.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Dolby Surround Pro Logic is basically 4 channels encoded in standard Stereo. I.e. no special *player* equipment is necessary, it's the receiver that has to demux the Stereo signal into 4 separate streams for 5 speakers. The signal consists of the two standard stereo channels, a centre channel and a frequency limited mono channel for the rears. The centre, as far as I know, is simply the portion of the left and right channels that's identical, i.e. every standard Stereo signal would already contain a Dolby Surround Pro Logic centre channel automatically.

Thanks for clarifying this - I've been wondering about it for quite some years!

On 7/31/2019 at 4:05 AM, Amer said:

In case you didn't know, Vocalion has issued two more albums from the series:

Charles Gerhardt - Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklós Rózsa & bonus track [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Charles Gerhardt - Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklós Rózsa & bonus track

Charles Gerhardt - Captain Blood: Classic Film Scores for Errol Flynn [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Charles Gerhardt - Captain Blood: Classic Film Scores for Errol Flynn

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4631

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4633

Great News! Thanks.

The Sound of the Vocalion CDs is so much better.

• 7 months later...

Speaking of the Gerhardt series; RCA RED SEAL (Sony) has reissued the entire series again as a 12 CD Box set and really good price of $34 at Amazon. This is the same yellow cover reissues from 2010 period but all of these are in the non-surround but Stereo sound. Just ordered this:

image.png

• 4 months later...
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
icon1.gif      

Finally two more additions:

Dutton Vocallion (UK) has now released two more SACDs:
Casablanca : Classic Films for Humphrey Bogart
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4639
And
DAVID RAKSIN Conducts His Great Film Scores
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4641

transparent.gif

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

I have KANE and the expanded SUNSET on RCA.

I also have LOST HORIZON on LP.

I made a ' special edition' CDR with

THE THING added:

Screenshot_2020-08-03-21-23-21~2.png

The Tiomkin SACD has the The Thing as a bonus. 

30 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Those reissue covers are icky!

Yeah, I know. But they are replicating original artwork as it is.