The awesome but misleading Intro to Anything Goes (Temple of Doom)

King Mark

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, but it's too bad 1984 technology makes it look kinda fake.  I wonder if they could improve that effect on a future 4K remaster.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

With today's digital technology, you can add text to a screen and have characters or other other objects move behind or in front of it, and it looks absolutely perfect, like the text is was truly there on the set floating around, you can never tell the difference.  In this film, however, there's a break when she goes in front of it because there's artifacts surrounding her body that ruin the effect.  They didn't pull off the exact effect they wanted.  That's what I'm talking about.

It was the exact effect they wanted.  It didn't look "fake" at all back then (although a minority may disagree). AND, most importantly, EVERY effect that you guys consider to be perfect today, will look like garbage in 20 years or less... It's all about perspective!

I disagree.  They would have wanted it to look like she truly was standing in front of the text, and as I said in another post you didn't quote, it probably did look fine in theaters in 1984.  I'm talking about when you watch it on home video on high def TVs, you see a shimmer around here that the filmmakers did not intend for you to see.  That is what could be fixed with modern technology.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I disagree.  They would have wanted it to look like she truly was standing in front of the text

And that's exactly what looked like from the perspective of 1984. Which is what counts.

I'm talking about when you watch it on home video on high def TVs, you see a shimmer around here that the filmmakers did not intend for you to see.  That is what could be fixed with modern technology.

The filmmakers intended you to see it as perfect as the technology allowed back then. Shimmers and all. Period. And that's what they achieved. You don't want the 1933 King Kong effects to be fixed with modern technology, do you?

Well, it needs something to compensate for all the badness.

;)

21 hours ago, Jay said:

This one?

Indeed.

My favourite film re-recording of a classic swing piece is Sing, Sing, Sing from Swing Kids. Although nothing beats Goodman's original!

21 minutes ago, Ricard said:

And that's exactly what looked like from the perspective of 1984. Which is what counts.

I've said that twice now, and both times you didn't quote the part of my posts that said that!

The SEs would've been nice as extra material, an interesting one-off experiment to show how ILM progressed in 2 decades through revisiting the movie that birthed them, by doing a scene which was originally scrapped because of budget and time constraints (Jabba) and how they'd do a dogfight if they could start from scrap now (Yavin Battle), not as completely replacing and burying the original.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Jurassic Park still looks good!

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Lost World has pretty much perfect special effects. Even today.

I'm sure most Gen Zers don't agree!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've said that twice now

Not really. You kept saying that the filmmakers wanted more than they achieved.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Lost World has pretty much perfect special effects. Even today.

I think JP boasts better special effects than TLW! 

The compys look amazing, but the stegosaurus couldn't look faker, I thought. The adults and the baby! In comparison, the brachiosaurus and the triceratops in JP looked as real as animals in the zoo!

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

The SEs would've been nice as extra material, an interesting one-off experiment to show how ILM progressed in 2 decades through revisiting the movie that birthed them, by doing a scene which was originally scrapped because of budget and time constraints (Jabba) and how they'd do a dogfight if they could start from scrap now (Yavin Battle), not as completely replacing and burying the original.

Yup!  If the original unaltered versions of the OT were also sold in the same formats as the SE versions it really wouldn't be much of an issue at all how GL kept changing them.

The baby stegosaurus and the brachosaur heads look equally like stiff, limited animatronics to me. The triceratops cheats by being sick, so they only had to recreate breathing, a bit of leg movement and blinking, working around the limitations.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

The baby stegosaurus and the brachosaur heads look equally like stiff, limited animatronics to me.

The baby stegosaurus is worse. It looks like animatronics that's half broken. The brachiosaurus head is OK. Not perfect, but okay. I liked how it sneezed, anyway! 

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

The triceratops cheats by being sick, so they only had to recreate breathing, a bit of leg movement and blinking, working around the limitations.

Doesn't matter. It still looked amazingly real... Like an amazingly real sick triceratops.

13 minutes ago, phbart said:

Fake or not, one thing is pretty obvious about Willie being in front of the text: Spielberg was already banging Kate Capshaw at that time.

You know this how? Were you there?

4 hours ago, Holko said:

and how they'd do a dogfight if they could start from scrap now (Yavin Battle)

You know those parts of the Battle of Yavin where it's in black and white briefly! 

On 9/15/2018 at 10:52 PM, King Mark said:

I think it's one of the  best cue opening by Williams ever

And when I first heard it I thought it was going to lead into  the most amazing Williams Main Titles/theme ever

But it breaks into a dance number...I was very disappointed .I was like wait..bring this music back!

But its perfect. PERFECT.

Hi all,

Per Richard's earlier assertion that the opening to TOD is only a fantasy in Willie's mind (or was that a joke?), can I get confirmation that Spielberg is the source on that?  The movie's been out for nearly 35 years and I had never heard that before!  If so, it's the most vivid and substantial dream I've ever witnessed, as even Dr. Jones and the nefarious operatives around him seem to notice it's going on as well...

Perhaps I just didn't get the joke?  It's possible...

AIFan

Yeah, I think he's just miffed that the intro was ruined in his mind, I don't put any stock behind the idea it's in Willie's mind, as it's quite clearly just an interesting dance number to introduce the character and the film.

3 hours ago, AIFan said:

Hi all,

Per Richard's earlier assertion that the opening to TOD is only a fantasy in Willie's mind (or was that a joke?), can I get confirmation that Spielberg is the source on that?  The movie's been out for nearly 35 years and I had never heard that before!  If so, it's the most vivid and substantial dream I've ever witnessed, as even Dr. Jones and the nefarious operatives around him seem to notice it's going on as well...

Perhaps I just didn't get the joke?  It's possible...

AIFan

Not the entire dance number, but just the big hall. That was in Willie's imagination. How else could it be? (Although admittedly it doesn't make much sense from a story-telling standpoint.)

She's a second-rate singer in a Chinese nightclub, but she's imagining she's a big Broadway star. Incidentally and simultaneously, Spielberg was probably imagining being a big Broadway director, instead of a popcorn movie director! 😂