The awesome but misleading Intro to Anything Goes (Temple of Doom)

King Mark

On 9/17/2018 at 3:09 PM, Jay said:

Yea, but it's too bad 1984 technology makes it look kinda fake.  I wonder if they could improve that effect on a future 4K remaster.

On 9/17/2018 at 4:12 PM, Jay said:

No, you don't get it.  With today's digital technology, you can add text to a screen and have characters or other other objects move behind or in front of it, and it looks absolutely perfect, like the text is was truly there on the set floating around, you can never tell the difference.  In this film, however, there's a break when she goes in front of it because there's artifacts surrounding her body that ruin the effect.  They didn't pull off the exact effect they wanted.  That's what I'm talking about.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:37 PM, Jay said:

I disagree.  They would have wanted it to look like she truly was standing in front of the text, and as I said in another post you didn't quote, it probably did look fine in theaters in 1984.  I'm talking about when you watch it on home video on high def TVs, you see a shimmer around here that the filmmakers did not intend for you to see.  That is what could be fixed with modern technology.

Way to ruin a thread :pat:

On 9/17/2018 at 4:09 PM, Jay said:

Yea, but it's too bad 1984 technology makes it look kinda fake.  I wonder if they could improve that effect on a future 4K remaster.

I'm sure George Lucas would volunteer to supervise that!

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

It certainly makes more sense than KotCS! 

Everything makes more sense than KotCS!

... except Star Trek.

On 9/16/2018 at 10:14 AM, Nick1066 said:

I agree, but I don't think anyone's complained in this thread about the presence of the dance number itself (though a lot of people have).  It's more the fact that the dance number turns into sort of this fantasy with the huge hall. Again, doesn't bother me, but I get why some may find it a little odd in a movie like this.

I have always assumed that the dance sequence at the beginning of the film was a homage to the kaleidoscopic dance sequences devised by Busby Berkeley in so many musicals of the 1930s and 1940s.  Many of those sequences had a fantasy element which involved far more dancers and far more elaborate routines than the location in the movie would allow 'in real life'.

I feel sure that Spielberg was just paying tribute to Busby Berkeley, especially as the film is set in the same period (the mid 1930s) as when those dance sequences were popular.  Here is a typical example from Gold Diggers of 1935.

Temple of Doom is about an amoral grave robber trading invaluable artifacts with mobsters setting out on a journey for nothing but fortune and glory but ultimately understands the value pieces of stone can have to locals, and reunites children with their parents, going home empty-handed but morally victorious.

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

The only thing that TOD is about is 2hrs.

Whatchoo talking about? ToD is about family too! Indy, Willie, and Short Round.

Family, and monkey brains... 

12 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Here is a typical example from Gold Diggers of 1935.

Not sure why, but this video scares me.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Temple of Doom is about an amoral grave robber trading invaluable artifacts with mobsters setting out on a journey for nothing but fortune and glory but ultimately understands the value pieces of stone can have to locals, and reunites children with their parents, going home empty-handed but morally victorious.

I read somewhere about a subplot where Indy goes down the river and actually recovers the other two stones. After returning the third stone to the villagers, he is ripped off by Willie and Short Round who fly off to the Cayman Islands to get married. It explains why Indy is still a college professor chasing antiques in RotLA, and not rich and famous.

Maybe Willie plotted with Short Round to have him drowned so she could legally keep all the fortune and glory, as the police were closing in on them. So they picked a random asian boy like him, did all the dirty work, and once she got her hands on the money, they were supposed to go back to the US and split the money. But Willie ran away again, leaving Short Round with nothing.

10 hours ago, AIFan said:

Hi all,

Per Richard's earlier assertion that the opening to TOD is only a fantasy in Willie's mind (or was that a joke?), 

The entire song isn't in her mind, just the tap dancing part in the sparkly black room.  1:30-2:38 of the video in the main post.

Nope. Indiana Jones 5 should include a time-traveling device that undoes everything that happened and brings us back to the moment in which The Last Crusade ends.

Its only one of the best endings in the history of film.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Nope. Indiana Jones 5 should include a time-traveling device that undoes everything that happened and brings us back to the moment in which The Last Crusade ends.

And it might even "fix" The Last Jedi too, but one thing at a time Disney.

I used to hate the opening number in Temple Of Doom as a kid. But as I got older I came to really appreciate it.  Great fun way to kick off the movie. Temple Of Doom is the best Indy sequel, it's the only one that really tries to stand apart from Raiders.

It's a good one, and it's grown on me. But TLC is still better IMO, despite being more or less a Raiders remake. The father/son stuff is excellent.

On the other hand, TLC does tend to sag a bit in the middle, a problem TOD doesn't have.

I saw all three Indy's in order. I remember seeing Temple of Doom though on Xmas day, it was the big movie premiere on BBC 1 that afternoon. I guess that must have been '86 then. I even recall the complaints - they showed it uncut! A few years later I saw Last Crusade at the cinema while on holiday in Wales with my parents. What feels strange to me now is that I would see Jurassic Park only four years after that, which changed everything for a kid my age.

15 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've always found ToD to be the one that sags the most in the middle.

It does.

That's because it a) doesn't rely (intentionally so) on constant changes in location to keep up the pace, as adventure films are wont to do, and b) because the temple and what's being done there (and therefore, the plot) isn't revealed until quite late in the game.

My only real complaint of Temple Of Doom is that the main villain is introduced so late in the movie.  Mola Ram is a scary guy and he should have been at the dinner table during the banquet scene at the Palace.  Indy has that tense conversation with Chattar Lal during the meal, that should have been Mola Ram.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, Loert said:

I would have loved for JW at some point to have been involved in a musical with the kind of "big" big band arrangements we see in Anything Goes. Like, imagine what he would have done had he arranged the music for a film version of "An American in Paris". He's so great at that kind of thing but it feels like we haven't seen enough of that side of him.

Well, it's not big band, but Spielberg is doing a theatrical remake of WEST SIDE STORY. Perhaps JW will do the arrangements for that.

• 2 years later...

I don't mean to revive an old thread, but I was just recently thinking about how well the very opening meshes with the Pankot palace material, so just for fun I cobbled together a kind of makeshift "suite" for Pankot Palace including the opening of Anything Goes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18rAT142sClTkBWBjFlEG6JJJN8bX_C03/view

16 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't mean to revive an old thread, but I was just recently thinking about how well the very opening meshes with the Pankot palace material, so just for fun I cobbled together a kind of makeshift "suite" for Pankot Palace including the opening of Anything Goes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18rAT142sClTkBWBjFlEG6JJJN8bX_C03/view

Quite nice! My only small critique is that I don't think the transition between the vocals and the opening works as well as the remain of the cue.

6 minutes ago, DrTenma said:

Quite nice! My only small critique is that I don't think the transition between the vocals and the opening works as well as the remain of the cue.

I have to agree, that was sort of a last second addition :P I didn't have that in the first version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13grss3UgaeMVE-AOIPmvHXutW00Yc3_5/view?usp=sharing

On 7/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I have to agree, that was sort of a last second addition :P I didn't have that in the first version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13grss3UgaeMVE-AOIPmvHXutW00Yc3_5/view?usp=sharing

That one is great!