Anyone else love Always?

The aerial sequences are incredible. Pete's death scene is one of Spielberg's best scenes. I think if it weren't for the negative stygma surrounding the film, it'd be regarded more highly. Even that trashy War of the Worlds movie seems to get more love. What?

30 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The aerial sequences are incredible. Pete's death scene is one of Spielberg's best scenes. I think if it weren't for the negative stygma surrounding the film, it'd be regarded more highly. Even that trashy War of the Worlds movie seems to get more love. What?

I'm a bit of a softie, so the film appealed to my gooey side (especially hearing Audrey Hepburn's voice :wub: ) when I saw it back in high school. Pleasant, and a nice story on true love as compassion, but I don't know if I'd ever watch it again.

What I truly admire about the film is that it defies the typical love story tropes, and yet the connection between the characters played by Dreyfus and Hunter was definitely there.  In my opinion, it was able to transcend the touchy-feely part of love stories (often ham-handedly told) precisely because one of the lovers was a non-corporeal being, and so the audience and the screenwriter were left to tell a love story purely through dialogue and body language.  Pardon the ghost-related pun, but that part of it was truly "touching."

AIFan

Fell in love with the characters, story, music, cinematography etc. Fit the bill for one of my top movies for whatever reason. What I don't understand is why it seems to be so loathed.

9 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Fit the bill for one of my top movies for whatever reason. 

You'll love it for the same reasons you love Titanic. Both movies share the same romantic nucleus. 

The film has often been criticized for being too maudlin, but I disagree. Rather, I think Spielberg was going for the same type of melodrama that Victor Fleming nurtured in the original A GUY NAMED JOE (Spielberg also channeled Fleming beautifully in WAR HORSE, and the ending of BRIDGE OF SPIES is pure Howard Hawks -- I love it when he makes these tributes to his Golden Age heroes). The lush cinematography by Mikael Salomon is beautiful -- alternating between nocturnal blue and ravishing orange.

Interestingly, I hated the ALWAYS score initially. Before I got the soundtrack, I only had the two tracks on the FILMWORKS compilation, and I thought the rest of the score was like that. To my amazement I discovered that "Follow Me" and "Dorinda Solo Flight" were, indeed, the only really thematic pieces on the album, and the rest was mostly 'droney', textural stuff with glittering harps and directionless harmonic structures. Remember, this was the time I was into big theme Williams (mid 90s)! However, as I've grown older and more refined in my taste, I've come to appreciate it for the exploratory tone poem that it really is. These days, I really enjoy the soundtrack -- although I could be without the country songs and the hundred variations of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes". :)

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I love this score, it's a short one, as soon as we have set aside the songs, if I remember well.

It's got a beautiful French horn solo. There aren't too many scores that have one.

The French horn solo is actually edited down in the movie.

The score is underrated. Very beautiful writing, the heaven scenes are angelic and the emotional goodbye scene is a perfect Spielberg Williams marriage of film and music. Oddly, everyone always talks about Follow Me, which is a minor cue for a slapstick scene that is pretty detached from the rest of the score. 

One unreleased highlight is when the old bus driver is revived. This film is just magic.

34 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Oddly, everyone always talks about Follow Me, which is a minor cue for a slapstick scene that is pretty detached from the rest of the score. 

'Everyone' is basically only Thor, which automatically rules out a majority opinion.