Has the score to Titanic aged well?

Jurassic Shark

Has the score to Titanic aged well?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Has the score to Titanic aged well?

• Yes
    • No

First of all, the 'synth choir' isn't in a lot of tracks. I sometimes feel people dismiss TITANIC as a "New Age album" or something, when -- in reality -- most of the score is straightforward orchestral action music or romantic music. It's the old LADYHAWKE syndrome (the pop beats are used in marginal transportation and action sequences in the film, but the majority is old school orchestral fantasy scoring or medieval music -- yet it's the former people evaluate it by, and only that).

Second, I like the approach in doing it with samples rather than real choir. Makes it more unique, and adds more of a character, sonically (less traditional). A sort of lofty, ethereal quality "not of this world". Wouldn't want it any other way.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Please don't compare Titanic to that monstrosity of a score called Ladyhawke! Thank you!

Ah, you were doing so well, and now you fall into the very trap that many TITANIC critics do.

I rank LADYHAWKE far above TITANIC on my alltime 'best of' list, but that's a different discussion. The point is that it's the same type of 'select' criticism at play.

The intended film version of 'Leaving Port' is THE highlight of the LLL album for me. It's my favorite cue. The intended film version of 'Southampton' was my holy grail cue from the score, and then Leaving Port came along and usurped it. 

Those celebratory moments are my favorite aspect of both the film and score. 'Southampton', 'Leaving Port' and 'Take Her To Sea, Mr. Murdoch' are my favorite cues along with the trailer. The chorus was always my favorite. 

Thor, I have to ask you something: 

If I were to take the original album program, and replace the OST cues with their corresponding film version cues, so the program itself remains the same, would you listen to it? 
I feel this score is a special case of being able to 'have your cake and eat it too' with enough of these cues being different that you could preserve the album presentation but hear some of the unreleased music. 

If you're at all interested, I'll send that your way and I'd love your feedback on it. 

4 hours ago, NL197 said:

Thor, I have to ask you something: 

If I were to take the original album program, and replace the OST cues with their corresponding film version cues, so the program itself remains the same, would you listen to it? 
I feel this score is a special case of being able to 'have your cake and eat it too' with enough of these cues being different that you could preserve the album presentation but hear some of the unreleased music. 

If you're at all interested, I'll send that your way and I'd love your feedback on it. 

Thank you for the offer, but I think I'm fine on the TITANIC front. I might be interested in checking out the "Volume 2/Back to Titanic" concept album at some point; I think I only sampled it once years ago.

6 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Whenever I see Richard post straight after Stefan, it reads like "Stiff Dick".

Actually, Jere, it was a comment on the LADYHAWKE conversation. You see, Andrew Powell was in - oh, Thor; you explain.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Thank you for the offer, but I think I'm fine on the TITANIC front. I might be interested in checking out the "Volume 2/Back to Titanic" concept album at some point; I think I only sampled it once years ago.

Fair enough, but I would easily say that in several places, those intended film cues are very different to what you're used to. It's really a different listen as a result. 

If you're not averse to YouTube videos, listen for yourself (synced along with the film)

Nothing wrong with the action/drama cues.

I'm not a massive fan of the synth choir. I don't hate it, but I don't understand the reason Horner used it instead of a real choir. I think that and the instrumentation used for a lot of the Rose material does date the score.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Nothing wrong with the action/drama cues.

I'm not a massive fan of the synth choir. I don't hate it, but I don't understand the reason Horner used it instead of a real choir. I think that and the instrumentation used for a lot of the Rose material does date the score.

He used the synth choir because it's what the director wanted. 

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Please don't waste your time on that album. Unless of course you're dying to hear a distorted I Salonisti cue, unnecessary alternate recordings and 'Jack, no, woohoo, hahaha!' in your music. I still admire your courage to stick to OSTs only, but don't go down the BTT route then.

27 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Please don't waste your time on that album. Unless of course you're dying to hear a distorted I Salonisti cue, unnecessary alternate recordings and 'Jack, no, woohoo, hahaha!' in your music. I still admire your courage to stick to OSTs only, but don't go down the BTT route then.

Actually, Thor would probably value the Back To Titanic album more than most here.

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Everything and everyone withers!

I am so glad we are talking about the Titanic score aging Sam, here at the end of all things!