John Williams - Fiddler On the Roof

JohnnyD

I recently re-watched Fiddler On the Roof, and I have a digital copy of the 30th anniversary soundtrack. This film adaptation is a classic. Jerry Bock's music and the songs by Bock and Sheldon Harnick are unforgettable. Maestro John Williams' adaptation and additional music are absolutely phenomenal and memorable. I immediately noticed that there is a good amount of music unreleased. Is there a chance of the Maestro's adaptation of Fiddler On the Roof getting an expanded, remastered and definitive release in the near future?

I am personally not a big fan of Williams' work on this. He "over-orchestrates" the Jewish  material to such an extent that there is hardly any authenticity left. It just sounds overblown to me. But the film is a decent Hollywood musical. Has some great cinematography, for example.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

To each his own, but I respectfully disagree. The Maestro took Fiddler On the Roof very seriously; the attention to detail in the music pays the utmost respect to the musical and what the story represents. Normally, Fiddler On the Roof is a chamber piece, given the Broadway and stage production. However, with the film adaptation, you actually see the landscape; you have real horses with the Soviets. The grandness of the format required the musical adaptation to go from a chamber piece to an over 80 piece orchestra with a chorus. That was the challenge presented, but the Maestro accomplishes it in a way that not only enchances the music; it in someways improves upon it while at the same time remaining faithful to the piece. Having the two-disc dvd, one of the bonus features is called “John Williams: Creating a Musical Tradition”; in it, he communicates exactly this while sharing his personal connection to the project. I can’t upload it, but it is worth checking out.

Yes, I do understand the "logic" behind it. It's just that to my ears, it's all a bit too much for the particular idiom on display -- especially on album. I much prefer the Jewish explorations in stuff like SCHINDLER'S LIST or MUNICH.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I much prefer the Jewish explorations in stuff like SCHINDLER'S LIST or MUNICH.

Those two scores are excellent additions of the authentic Jewish texture and tradition.