RIP Gary Kurtz

TownerFan

:(

So sad to hear.  Star Wars owes to much to Kurtz, and the series wasn't the same after he left. And he was a refreshing voice of honesty, cutting through GL's BS when talking about SW history.

RIP Gary. The Force will be with you, always.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Sad news, indeed. Although I still like, ROTJ, it's obvious that it needed Kurtz, to make it fly.

RIP.

I love ROTJ too but he argued against the cuteness and Ewoks for example.  One could say he was the yin to Lucas's yang and the two needed each other.  When Lucas was fully left to his own devices, the series suffered.  I don't want to dismiss Lucas's creation but he lacked discipline that Kurtz brought. 

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer/

11 hours ago, Drew said:

RIP.

Am I correct that he did not continue with Star Wars because the studio didn't like him going over-budget with the first two?

The first one's budget ballooned, for sure, but TESB was financed, solely, by Lucas - sans studio interference. I'm not sure if TESB went over budget, but its full cost was kept hidden, for many years.

14 hours ago, Drew said:

RIP.

Am I correct that he did not continue with Star Wars because the studio didn't like him going over-budget with the first two?

Read the interesting article I linked to above.  He was way more than a producer, he was active creatively and was even a second unit director on some of the quieter scenes which I frankly think are some of the loveliest moments in the series.  Lucas and he different increasingly on the tone so they parted ways.