Have you ever bought OSTs after an expanded release?

bollemanneke

I never had the OSTs to SW, TESB, or ROTJ until after I bought the 1993 Anthology box set (which was my first film score purchase ever).  Why did I pick them up?  Because I was a Star Wars nut back then, and a burgeoning JW fan, and just wanted everything.

Plus TESB had the Mynock Cave music that wasn't on the anthology set

Quite a lot, either when I just want one or two tracks which were on the OST, or if it's largely filled with alternates. E.T. and RotK are two that immediately come to mind. I didn't buy RotK in 2003 because word about the CRs must have around sometime about then, and I didn't yet fully understand film vs album versions.

As you would all guess -- no, I haven't. If I already have the OST, I will almost never seek out the expansion.

However, there have been a couple of times where I've received the expanded first (for example DCC's RAIDERS and the Arista STAR WARS box), and -- while sampling the OSTs after the fact -- realized that the expanded versions are superior! Happens very, very rarely, but it does happen.

There have also been other circumstances. Like when I first had the promo of Arnold's GODZILLA, loved it and decided to try out the expanded 2CD set. Hated the 2CD set, sold it and then reverted BACK to the original promo. But again, that's a different thing, really.

When It's possible, I always try to buy the original OST CDs.

I did it with Superman (Japanese release), Raiders of the lost ark, Temple of doom, Last Crusade, Empire of the Sun, Stanley & Iris, Jaws, E.T., CE3K (sacd release), what else.... 

11 hours ago, Thor said:

There have also been other circumstances. Like when I first had the promo of Arnold's GODZILLA, loved it and decided to try out the expanded 2CD set. Hated the 2CD set, sold it and then reverted BACK to the original promo. But again, that's a different thing, really.

All that extra music sucked. No wonder it wasn't included in the promo album!

Just finished a 53-minute Aliens playlist last night! Shorter than the complete score, longer than the album. And of course, including Combat Drop!

Working on a shorter playlist for Young Sherlock Holmes as we speak.

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

More often that not, I just make a playlist from the complete score to recreate the album presentation, sometimes with a few extra cues from the complete score I find worth keeping.

Although I would always prefer the producer or composer to arrange the album, as it should be, I also have to do this on several occasions, when there is no other choice (an album is presented C&C or with too much music). In fact, I have a looong "to do" list of such albums I have to whittle down. Here are some:

EARTH - ONE AMAZING DAY (Alex Heffes)
COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY (Silvestri)
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (Newman)
HOW THE WEST WAS WON (Newman)
30 DEGRESS IN FEBRUARY (Söderström & Berthling)
A LATE QUARTET (Badalamenti)
NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON (Focks)

OSTWIND (Focks)
THE TOUCH (Poledouris)
OUTLANDER: SEASON 2 (McCreary)
OLSENBANDEN (Bjerre, box)
FAR CRY IV (Martinez)
THE MAN FROM UNCLE (Pemberton)
AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (Elfman/Tyler)
FIELD OF LOST SHOES (Wiedmann)
FROZEN PLANET (Fenton)
LA REVOLUTION FRANCAISE (Delerue)
A NIGHTINGALE FALLING (Stewart)
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (Zimmer)
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (Zimmer)
BEVERLY HILLS COP 1 + 2 (Faltermeyer)
THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (Horner)
WILD SALOMÉ (Beal)
THE BLUE MAX (Goldsmith)
RAMBO III (Goldsmith)
BORDERLANDS: THE PRE-SEQUEL (Kyd)
THE GOLDEN CHILD (Colombier)
THE YOUNG MESSIAH (Debney)
LOST RIVER (Jewel) -- already whittled, but needs more whittling. It's at 1h22min now.
MOANA (Mancina)
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (Jarre)
JOHN CARTER (Giacchinio) -- yes, I DO own a Giacchino score!
QUO VADIS (Rozsa)
BEN HUR (Rozsa)
MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT (Sato)
CINDERELLA (Doyle)
ATLANTIS: THE LAST DAYS OF KAPTARA (Bateman)
LA BELLE ET LA BETE (Adenot)
MAYHEM (Moore)
THE ITALIAN KEY (Kantelinen)
CUBAMERICAN (Carlos José Alvarez)
BRIMSTONE (Junkie XL)

THE CORE (Young)

THE LOVELY BONES (Eno)

BERLIN CALLING (Kalkbrenner)

YELLOWSTONE (Tyler)

DA VINCI'S DEMONS (McCreary)

...and others.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Doesn't matter if it's OST or C&C or whatever. In some cases, there's just too much music.

What do you think about the Rambo III, The Shadow and Small Soldiers OSTs?

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

What do you think about the Rambo III, The Shadow and Small Soldiers OSTs?

Love the SMALL SOLDIERS OST. Don't have THE SHADOW (although I think I did once upon a time; must have traded it away). As for RAMBO III, I only have the Intrada -- which is the one that is too long at 75 minutes. Was there an OST prior to that?

7 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Thor only loves the Small Soldiers OST because he has no idea what was left off it. Ignorance is bliss, I 'spose.

Eh, there's only about 15 minutes worth adding, so the OST was hardly devastating. I'm still quite grateful for the Deluxe Edition though, and it's vastly less worthless than The Haunting's DE.

Both had lacking original releases. Not the end of the world but like many other JG titles from those years, it undervalued the scores because the choice of material ranged from catastrophic (Chain Reaction) to mediocre (Small Soldiers). Ironically, it's the much-desired Air Force One i find sufficient on its 35-minute release.

Agreed about Small Soldiers' OST, but I also find that it doesn't require every cue either. A 45-minute would have been ideal, had re-use fees not been an issue and all that.

I haven't heard much of Chain Reaction or AFO, so I can't comment there. What little I heard, I recall being pretty meh. Why people want AFO complete, I don't know. Completists are weird.

Nothing wrong with a 30 minute OST as long as the track selection is decent. An album producer could include all the boring cues and exclude all the exciting and interesting cues, and Thor would still call it a brilliant album just by its virtue of being an OST!

Why was it usually just Goldsmith that was stuck with that anyway? Williams and Horner more often than not got long albums from the get go! 

Eugh, I can't bear to imagine a 30-minute Jurassic Park OST..

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Both had lacking original releases. Not the end of the world but like many other JG titles from those years, it undervalued the scores because the choice of material ranged from catastrophic (Chain Reaction) to mediocre (Small Soldiers). Ironically, it's the much-desired Air Force One i find sufficient on its 35-minute release.

I never had the OST of Chain reaction. What unimportant tracks that were on the OST and what important tracks that weren't on the OST do you refer to?

20 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Agreed about Small Soldiers' OST, but I also find that it doesn't require every cue either. A 45-minute would have been ideal, had re-use fees not been an issue and all that.

Problem now is that there is only a 30 minute album and a 70 minute album of most of these scores, but no decent 50 minute album that represents the score properly and isn't an overkill for less ambitious fans.

Just now, Brundlefly said:

Problem now is that there is only a 30 minute album and a 70 minute album of most of these scores, but no decent 50 minute album that represents the score properly and isn't an overkill for less ambitious fans.

It's called burning the CD to your laptop then making a playlist, my boy!

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

That'd be an intriguing experiment. Be ruthless!

N-No! I c-can't! I just CAN'T, I tell ya! I'm not the guy to be assigned to such an endeavor, get someone who doesn't love that Jurassic shit like I do!

13 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It's called burning the CD to your laptop then making a playlist, my boy!

Well, I can do that within a few minutes (including edits that nobody is able to detect). But I was talking about the availability of a thorough album for the mass market. I did a few 50 minute albums of several scores for my friends.