Have you ever bought OSTs after an expanded release?

bollemanneke

I'll tell you some of the most frustrating listening experiences are many of the Japanese Godzilla soundtrack CDs. Don't get me wrong, they're a novelty to own and I love them dearly, but they're a bore to listen to unless you prune them down. However you might only get maybe 25 minutes at most of exciting musical material from one of the 1990s Ifukube scores if you zap out all the repetition.

Probably the best OST from that time was Godzilla vs Biollante because Sugiyama created a 48 minute, 10 track presentation of thematic suites. It's a pleasant listen. But Ifukube never bothered with this process unless he ever got around to updating his Symphonic Fantasia program. He seemed satisfied with Futureland/Toshiba chucking out a 30-track dump of one-minute cues, followed by a 2-CD monster release of the recording sessions. Even the latest one, Shin Godzilla is a series of repeating tracks with little variation. What is it with Toho?

Nice collectibles, but unsatisfying listening experiences.

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Why was it usually just Goldsmith that was stuck with that anyway? Williams and Horner more often than not got long albums from the get go! 

He did less relevant genre movies - potboilers - and had a personal affliction with VS. Williams and Horner were engineering their careers to a larger degree towards distinguished mainstream and actively pushed for classical/crossover artists and labels like Sony and Decca.

All of these OSTs where bought AFTER I bought the expanded release.

Temple of Doom and Last crusade too, they are not in my photos.

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Eugh, I can't bear to imagine a 30-minute Jurassic Park OST..

I help you to imagine. Welcome to Jurassic Park:

1. Opening Titles - 0:36
  2. Journey to the Island - 8:56
  3. Ailing Triceratops/My Friend, the Brachiosaurus - 4:18
  4. The T-Rex Chase - 1:56
  5. High Wire Stunts - 4:10
  6. T-Rex Rescue and Finale - 7:43

Did you already throw up? If not, here's The Lost World as a bonus:

1. To the Island - 3:40
  2. The Hunt - 3:35
  3. The Trek - 5:25
  4. Rescuing Sarah - 5:12
  5. Heading North - 2:13
  6. The Raptors Appear - 3:43
  7. Visitor in San Diego - 7:41

That was really not easy.

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Did you already throw up? If not here's The Lost World as a bonus:

1. To the Island - 3:40
  2. The Hunt - 3:35
  3. The Trek - 5:25
  4. Rescuing Sarah - 5:12
  5. Heading North - 2:13
  6. The Raptors Appear - 3:43
  7. Visitor in San Diego - 7:41

That was really not easy.

I'd swap out "To the Island" with the actual "The Lost World" theme.

6 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

An album producer could include all the boring cues and exclude all the exciting and interesting cues, and Thor would still call it a brilliant album just by its virtue of being an OST!

That's completely true.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd say they're quite easy to find when they're sitting on your shelf!

Well not after 6 beers and 3-4 glasses wine!

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I thought you were drinking alcohol free beer!

Well in Morocco, and it's strange to say that, but I restarted a bit to drink...

I can't say no to a bottle of Champagne from France... I know, I'm weak!

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well in Morocco, and it's strange to say that, but I restarted a bit to drink...

I can't say no to a bottle of Champagne from France... I know, I'm weak!

Champagne by name, Champagne by nature. :)

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

...as opposed to Champagne from...? ;)

Well I know. But, by example, some grand brand like Mumm, now make "Champagne" in California too... and it's the same brand as the GH Mumm company in France, the same people, the same grapes. It's almost "Champagne" too... but technically, it's Sparkling Wine, I know. 

But I drink real Champagne from France, for the most part. 😎

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well I know. But, by example, some grand brand like Mumm, now make "Champagne" in California too... and it's the same brand as the GH Mumm company in France, the same people, the same grapes. It's almost Champagne too...

Thank the Treaty of Versailles! Bloody Americans have no respect for tradition! ;)

How is it you spend all your time traveling? Are you a member of the leisure class? The lazy rich? Are you a playboy?

I managed to buy Star Trek Beyond the day I eventually read of the Deluxe's release on this here forum. I had been waiting and waiting, figured long enough I'll make do until the intevitable release of the expanded but didn't figure it'd be the same day. Otherwise I've never brought OST's after the expanded came out- OST's like Red October, Clear and Present Danger, most of the Star Trek's (up until reboots) I had ages before the expanded's came out. 

19 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I'll tell you some of the most frustrating listening experiences are many of the Japanese Godzilla soundtrack CDs. Don't get me wrong, they're a novelty to own and I love them dearly, but they're a bore to listen to unless you prune them down. However you might only get maybe 25 minutes at most of exciting musical material from one of the 1990s Ifukube scores if you zap out all the repetition.

Probably the best OST from that time was Godzilla vs Biollante because Sugiyama created a 48 minute, 10 track presentation of thematic suites. It's a pleasant listen. But Ifukube never bothered with this process unless he ever got around to updating his Symphonic Fantasia program. He seemed satisfied with Futureland/Toshiba chucking out a 30-track dump of one-minute cues, followed by a 2-CD monster release of the recording sessions. Even the latest one, Shin Godzilla is a series of repeating tracks with little variation. What is it with Toho?

Nice collectibles, but unsatisfying listening experiences.

I came across a bunch of Godzilla soundtracks at a CD warehouse awhile ago. I considered grabbing one, but the messy tracklist indeed put me off in that regard. I'll take a look at Biollante though! I've always wanted to see the movie too, the monster in that one looks particularly gnarly. 

17 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I came across a bunch of Godzilla soundtracks at a CD warehouse awhile ago. I considered grabbing one, but the messy tracklist indeed put me off in that regard. I'll take a look at Biollante though! I've always wanted to see the movie too, the monster in that one looks particularly gnarly. 

Yeah the Biollante album is lovely. There's no shortage of compilation albums for those who'd rather not have to sift through all those monumental recording sessions.

Yes. I bought the Spartacus OST from a secondhand store after Varèse released their big box set in order to sample it and see if I would want to make the investment. 

The next time I listen to the entire disc will be the first. 

I purchased the V/S release of Goldsmith's Explorers (which was a direct port of the original MCA album's sequence) a while after acquiring Intrada's expansion, mainly because the V/S price on the secondary market plummeted after the Intrada was released.

Really? Wow! Every time I've tried to find Explorers' OST online, it goes for around a hundred bucks! 

I'm happy with the Intrada release though. The entire score isn't needed, but I made a splendid 46-minute playlist out of it. It's probably my favorite Goldsmith-Dante that isn't Gremlins related.

Well, this has been a fruitful thread! Thanks to everyone so far. I'll decide whether I'll buy Titanic and Braveheart (OSTs) in two months. Everything will depend on whether LLL keeps including the OST programs in upcoming JW expansions I'm interested in. As for the 30-minute JP/TLW playlist, I'm really interested to give it a try.

Nope.  I got rid of my OST's when an expanded/complete release came out I'd get rid of the OST.  Well on a rare ocassion I'd keep it if something was different compared to the expanded release.  I mean if a track or two was different on the OST IE: Star Trek Insurrection.

I too have a tendency to stop listening to OSTs after purchasing expanded/complete releases.  And sometimes I create custom presentations of the complete/expanded score like whenever the OST versions of certain cues get put into the main program rather than their film version counterparts (like when Titanic got a nearly-complete release last November).