The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

Wonderful Maurizio! Looking very much forward to reading  more your always insightful and appreciative thoughts on our Maestro Williams on this blog now and in the future.

P.S. A lovely interview with Gloria Cheng as well. :) 

This a wonderful project you are doing. The Maestro was the inspiration for my college thesis: The Anthropological and Spiritual Significance of Music. I would love to contribute by posting a file of it, if that is possible.

Thank you all for the nice words, guys. I'll do my best to be worth of the subject :)

12 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

This a wonderful project you are doing. The Maestro was the inspiration for my college thesis: The Anthropological and Spiritual Significance of Music. I would love to contribute by posting a file of it, if that is possible.

Thank you, JohnnyD. Absolutely, write me a PM and we'll see how to do it. I definitely want to host writings from other people.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I have to repeat myself but this was another fantastic interview Maurizio and Mr. Pope is wonderfully articulate on these many subjects you discuss throughout your talk. He shares some very interesting little bits of new "insider" information and anecdotes about John Williams and his generation of musicians. A wonderful listen! 

39 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh, so he's an imitator? I've always thought he's an orchestrator!

He just re-orchestrated his voice!

21 hours ago, TownerFan said:

New audio interview with Conrad Pope, talking about the music and the legacy of John Williams, the art form of film music and his life and career in the Hollywood film music community. It’s a fun one! Hope you all enjoy!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/04/26/conrad-pope-interview/

Thank you Maurizio, I really look forward to listening to this!

I listened this morning and it's very good!

I was especially gratified to hear Pope single out The Post score for compliment.  "The Court's Decision and End Credits" has become a real favorite of mine over the past year and a half.

Excellent interview @TownerFan, Pope is great to listen to. Lots of fun little anecdotes.

Wondering about the excerpt from Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra around 15:00. It sounds cleaner than my copy of the track from the Concord expansions... Curious which source you used for the track here?

Thanks everyone, I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Conrad is the definition of a true gentleman.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Wondering about the excerpt from Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra around 15:00. It sounds cleaner than my copy of the track from the Concord expansions... Curious which source you used for the track here?

It’s the 2008 Concord remaster.

13 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It’s the 2008 Concord remaster.

Interesting! Might need to do a fresh rip of my CD. Was never impressed with the recording of TLC but it sounded better than I remembered in this podcast. :)

BTW @TownerFan I'm totally on board for your Appalachian Spring-West Side Story-Star Wars triptych take.  Makes it even more special that Williams personally commissioned the sculptures of Copland and Bernstein at Tanglewood.  Showing gratitude to his forebears!

On 4/26/2019 at 8:37 PM, TownerFan said:

New audio interview with Conrad Pope, talking about the music and the legacy of John Williams, the art form of film music and his life and career in the Hollywood film music community. It’s a fun one! Hope you all enjoy!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/04/26/conrad-pope-interview/

The good thing about Pope is that he isn't afraid to give his opinion about film music, even if it makes it look a bit like a snob at times.

He also articulated better than I ever could why Williams is the last of a dying breed, and why modern film music is really a different animal.

He does pretty decent imitations of Williams'and Horners voices too!

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The good thing about Pope is that he isn't afraid to give his opinion about film music, even if it makes it look a bit like a snob at times.

He also articulated better than I ever could why Williams is the last of a dying breed, and why modern film music is really a different animal.

He does pretty decent imitations of Williams'and Horners voices too!

If he were just another whinging JWFan that would be one thing but my problem is that he does this in full view as someone with clout and influence with the younger generation.  His attitudes are pessimistic and destructive rather than constructive and helpful for the future.  I have personally witnessed composers express damaged confidence after reading one of his tirades about this or that from the good old days and how it'll never be the same again - and that in itself is just speculation!  He can't see the damn future.  Talented young artists who hear sentiments like that from a veteran can't help thinking that they are inevitably second rate.  Sorry but I think that's an awful thing to have as part of your influence, however much else he has contributed as an educator.  I don't begrudge him the right to an opinion but I think you need to know your audience and wield your soapbox with responsibility and not give in to this kind of glory days worship/future despondency.

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He also articulated better than I ever could why Williams is the last of a dying breed, and why modern film music is really a different animal.

Indeed. Too many people nowadays let themselves uncritically be seduced by shit in a shiny wrapping. They would benefit from reading The Emperor's New Clothes.

21 hours ago, Knox Harrington said:

If he were just another whinging JWFan that would be one thing but my problem is that he does this in full view as someone with clout and influence with the younger generation.  His attitudes are pessimistic and destructive rather than constructive and helpful for the future.  I have personally witnessed composers express damaged confidence after reading one of his tirades about this or that from the good old days and how it'll never be the same again - and that in itself is just speculation! 

If one tirade from someone who's own career as a composers isnt particularly noteworthy or successful is enough to change you forever you probably should not be working in Hollywood. 

23 hours ago, toothless said:

Any chance these interviews are available on Apple podcast, SoundCloud, Deezer, etc ? :) 

I've set up a SoundCloud account and will upload all audio features there as well. Just be patient a little while :)

5 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I've set up a SoundCloud account and will upload all audio features there as well. Just be patient a little while :)

That would be perfect!  Adding a Soundcloud RSS feed to my podcast player of choice would be really cool/convenient.