The Next Matessino/Williams/Spielberg Expansion - 2018 Edition

crumbs

Matessino's next Spielberg/Williams score expansion  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which score WILL BE Matessino's next Spielberg/Williams expansion?

• The Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Hook
    • Amistad
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich
  2. 2. Which Spielberg/Williams score do you MOST WANT Matessino to expand next?

• The Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Hook
    • Amistad
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I love reading 'complete' next to all these score titles, and also your comment about Always.

Poor Always. Hard to believe it received 300% more votes than The Terminal for most-wanted expansion.

Now Saving Private Ryan has been expanded, Always replaces it as the score I care least about being expanded. I can't imagine needing anything more than the OST, if there's even anything more to release.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Poor Always. Hard to believe it received 300% more votes than The Terminal for most-wanted expansion.

Now Saving Private Ryan has been expanded, Always replaces it as the score I care least about being expanded. I can't imagine needing anything more than the OST, if there's even anything more to release.

Well there is always the Follow Me alternate version.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

With an alternate Rebel Fanfare for the reveal of the Falcon?

No the track called Follow Me from Always. There is an alternate for that cue floating on some bootleg or other.

23 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This!

15 minutes ago, Incanus said:

No the track called Follow Me from Always. There is an alternate for that cue floating on some bootleg or other.

Heh, I have to admit my post was slightly tongue in cheek. :P

That's actually the first I've heard of an alternate or a bootleg for Always though, interesting! Was there anything else noteworthy enough to justify an expansion? I've never seen the movie; all I know is the OST is rather bizarre with all that non-Williams music, but presumably that's a side-effect of a short film score.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Heh, I have to admit my post was slightly tongue in cheek. :P

That's actually the first I've heard of an alternate or a bootleg for Always though, interesting! Was there anything else noteworthy enough to justify an expansion? I've never seen the movie; all I know is the OST is rather bizarre with all that non-Williams music, but presumably that's a side-effect of a short film score.

That is the only track from Always on that old footwarmer which had a collection of then unreleased cues from various Williams projects. So no major revelation there sadly, sorry.

And the film score, if I remember correctly from a cue-by-cue breakdown someone here did years ago, is about 37 minutes long so the OST programme is actually slightly longer than the score heard in the film. I can't remember if there are some noteworthy film versions still unreleased from the film though.

As I thought then. I just can't imagine those sessions have a bounty of riches waiting to be discovered. The film has always struck me as prototype "serious Spielberg," and I don't think Williams was particularly inspired writing it (if the OST is any indication).

about ALWAYS:

Total Music Time: 37 minutes, 26 seconds

Percentage scored: 30%

#1. Pete and Dorinda Walk Home (0:32) Music Begins as Dorinda and Pete walk home by the airfield ends as the two lay together by the fire.

#2. Precious Talk (0:20) Begins as Pete opens the refrigerator door for a snack and ends as Pete sits down with Dorinda by the fire.

#3. Saying Good-bye (2:46) Begins as Pete is on the phone and ends as Pete tries to yell that he loves her over the roar of his engines.

#4. Hap (7:01) Begins as Al looks out his window to see Pete's plane and ends as Pete turns around to find the person who he will help.

#5. Catching up with Al (0:20) Begins as Pete walks into Al's office and begins Ted walks into Al's office behind Pete.

#6. Landing in Flat Rock (0:54) Begins as Al and Dorinda approach the strip at Flat Rock for landing and ends as Ted takes off.

#7. Abandoned Airfield (2:36) Music enters as Ted creeps into an abandoned shelter and ends as Ted lands at Flat Rock.

#8. Follow Me (1:08) Begins as Rachel sees Ted landing and ends as the Follow Me tractor plows into Dorinda's porch.

#9. Strange Presence (3:14) Begins as Pete senses that Dorinda is near and ends as Ted introduces himself to Dorinda.

#10. Saving Frank (1:06) Begins as Dorinda wonders how Ted can do what he is doing and ends as Dorinda screeches to a halt in front of her house.

#11. Breaking the wishbone (1:38) Begins as Dorinda tells a story about Pete and ends as Ted brags about how he'll land an A-26 with no fuel.

#12. Shopping in her Sleep (1:47) Begins as Dorinda recites her shopping list in her sleep as before and ends as Dorinda tells Pete goodnight.

#13. Talking With Hap Again (2:06) Begins as Pete finds himself waking up in the woods again and ends as Hap reminds Pete that he has to give in order to gain his freedom.

#14. Handling the Rescue (4:50) Begins as Ted realizes that he should handle the rescue from their base and ends as Dorinda cruises to the drop zone.

#15. Pete Tells Dorinda Everything (7:08) Begins as Dorinda enjoys the peace of flying at night and ends as Pete walks down the runway into the night.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/features/skelton.asp

I don't think I've heard a single note of Always.

It probably ties with Stepmom as the least interesting or required JW expansion.

I've begun to suspect that an expansion of The Terminal would likely be underwhelming. Aside from the TV cue, the revised finale is just editing with stuff already on the album (albeit with a mixing difference or two).

47 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't think I've heard a single note of Always.

It probably ties with Stepmom as the least interesting or required JW expansion.

So you haven't heard a single note of it, but you assume that it's not interesting.

Ooooo-kay. 🙄

I love Always, especially the hauntingly beautiful and aching piano passages... It's much better than Stepmom, imo.

One of the most underrated JW scores! Listen to it with an open mind....

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've listened to the Always OST a few times over the years, but I'm most familiar with the track on the first Spielberg/Williams Collaboration.

Yeah, that was my first experience with Always too.

Still love that version. Absolutely gorgeous, especially the ending.

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

about ALWAYS:

Total Music Time: 37 minutes, 26 seconds

Percentage scored: 30%

#1. Pete and Dorinda Walk Home (0:32) Music Begins as Dorinda and Pete walk home by the airfield ends as the two lay together by the fire.

#2. Precious Talk (0:20) Begins as Pete opens the refrigerator door for a snack and ends as Pete sits down with Dorinda by the fire.

#3. Saying Good-bye (2:46) Begins as Pete is on the phone and ends as Pete tries to yell that he loves her over the roar of his engines.

#4. Hap (7:01) Begins as Al looks out his window to see Pete's plane and ends as Pete turns around to find the person who he will help.

#5. Catching up with Al (0:20) Begins as Pete walks into Al's office and begins Ted walks into Al's office behind Pete.

#6. Landing in Flat Rock (0:54) Begins as Al and Dorinda approach the strip at Flat Rock for landing and ends as Ted takes off.

#7. Abandoned Airfield (2:36) Music enters as Ted creeps into an abandoned shelter and ends as Ted lands at Flat Rock.

#8. Follow Me (1:08) Begins as Rachel sees Ted landing and ends as the Follow Me tractor plows into Dorinda's porch.

#9. Strange Presence (3:14) Begins as Pete senses that Dorinda is near and ends as Ted introduces himself to Dorinda.

#10. Saving Frank (1:06) Begins as Dorinda wonders how Ted can do what he is doing and ends as Dorinda screeches to a halt in front of her house.

#11. Breaking the wishbone (1:38) Begins as Dorinda tells a story about Pete and ends as Ted brags about how he'll land an A-26 with no fuel.

#12. Shopping in her Sleep (1:47) Begins as Dorinda recites her shopping list in her sleep as before and ends as Dorinda tells Pete goodnight.

#13. Talking With Hap Again (2:06) Begins as Pete finds himself waking up in the woods again and ends as Hap reminds Pete that he has to give in order to gain his freedom.

#14. Handling the Rescue (4:50) Begins as Ted realizes that he should handle the rescue from their base and ends as Dorinda cruises to the drop zone.

#15. Pete Tells Dorinda Everything (7:08) Begins as Dorinda enjoys the peace of flying at night and ends as Pete walks down the runway into the night.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/features/skelton.asp

What about the end credits?

2 hours ago, Holko said:

I'm definitely eager to get to the days when Tintin and War Horse can be expanded!

They are too new in my opinion for use to get an expansion too soon.

Nonetheless, I would love to see it. And the Disney SW expanded editions!

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

from what i remember there is a song in the end credits.

There is a song ("Smoke gets in your... eeeeeyyeeyyeyeyees") and it's followed by original music.

War of the Worlds was an interesting one. When I saw the movie there were many score moments that stood out as pure Williams, but I've never really listened to the score outside of that. The film wasn't all that great as far as Spielberg goes.

21 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Hoping for 2 or more of the following in 2019...

Hook

Amistad

WOTW

Minority Report

Why so modest? 

Hoping for 4 of these, plus the Star Wars prequels! 

Next year's gonna be "One for the Books, Part II"! 😂 

Hoping for JFK and THE TOWERING INFERNO next year. Since we know LLL is onto them; I think the HARRY POTTER project and the Anniversary releases probably bumped these off (temporarily) from their current agenda. Lets hope we get these projects racing up. JFK would certainly be a good contender for the next Black Friday.

7 minutes ago, Amer said:

Hoping for JFK and THE TOWERING INFERNO next year.

Me too, I have been wanting TTF since I first started seriously "collecting", the circle will be complete then.

• 2 months later...

It's really just nine scores that are possible at the time? I think it is even just six: Sugarland Express was nixed by Williams, Hook is owned by Sony and Munich was recorded after the increase of the re-use fees.

So, what's left is basically just Always, Amistad, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal and War of the Worlds, which is still very exciting.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I still think there's a chance they might already have done Hook. Jason has said multiple times he had worked on a project that still hasn't come out.

Sadly it won't matter unless all the legal paperwork and contracts were signed off before Sony cut off the labels.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I still think there's a chance they might already have done Hook. Jason has said multiple times he had worked on a project that still hasn't come out.

So either it comes out soon or no more Hook - or better: no more No More Hook.

I'd say if it doesn't come out in the next few months, it wasn't one of the two.

Either way, we'll know soon enough, as LLL won't sit on the two Sony releases any longer than necessary to avoid further complications/risks of cancellation.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

And LLL said all but two projects had to be abandoned because of the Sony business. There's a chance.

Yeah, but that sounds more like projects they were planning to tackle to me. I can't imagine they would abandon finished projects.

Who's to say Hook was that far in the pipeline, if at all? Matessino appears to have been super busy lately. Hook strikes me as a complex undertaking, not to mention that key session tapes are missing (or were).

I don't know how the bloke finds time to sleep, he must be that busy!