Jump to content
Jay

Superman II / III - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records INCLUDES NEW SOURCE MUSIC FROM SUPERMAN THE MOVIE coming October 30th 2018

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

... and what about Superman 1?

 

I think the indication is that it's coming next, now that we know Superman IV reissue wasn't just a one-off. I'd be amazed if LLL reissued all of the Blue Box *except* for the original Williams score. They're just working their way backwards like Intrada did with the four Jaws scores.

 

Yavar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess would be we won't hear any more about them until late Monday, October 22nd when the email goes out.

 

Unless one of the Superman fan sites gets the exclusive scoop to debut the tracklist early

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it includes the Moroder material for III. That would be a draw to me. I had a CD-R of II and III once, but I don't know where it is. This is not something that's very high on my wish list (a lot of it comes off as second-hand regurgitations of Williams' first score), but I would at the very least sample it.

 

The most interesting thing about the LLL Facebook post was the series PHILIP K. DICK'S ELECTRIC DREAMS, which is a series I hadn't heard about before. I've been on the lookout for a new sci fi series to watch, so that was a useful tip. Not usually a fan of anthology shows, but I liked BLACK MIRROR, and hopefully this is more in that street. Also has a string of very interesting composers, so I'm no doubt very curious about that soundtrack set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

I wonder if these are re-worked or remastered at all by MM or if they were fine as they were on the Blue Box. 

 

I could be completely wrong, but at least with original score's Blue Box presentation, I thought I remember reading some complaints that the sound was a little iffy...something about being too tinny or "dead"? Is this warranted at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I wish we had a cover like this, but for Power Girl. 

 

I'd prefer Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl doing the same pose, if that project ever happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Thor said:

PHILIP K. DICK'S ELECTRIC DREAMS, which is a series I hadn't heard about before. I've been on the lookout for a new sci fi series to watch, so that was a useful tip. Not usually a fan of anthology shows, but I liked BLACK MIRROR, and hopefully this is more in that street. Also has a string of very interesting composers, so I'm no doubt very curious about that soundtrack set.


We watched the first 2 episodes.  It's basically a Black Mirror ripoff, with much less bite and polish (and budget).  The Anna Paquin episode was actually a pretty interesting story, though not executed too gracefully, and then we saw one about a small group of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world that were trying to beat this AI that had gone rogue in a warehouse.  It was not good.  I kinda wanted to give the rest of the season a try, but then too many other good shows came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

 

I could be completely wrong, but at least with original score's Blue Box presentation, I thought I remember reading some complaints that the sound was a little iffy...something about being too tinny or "dead"? Is this warranted at all?

 

I remember something being said about digital noise reduction being applied, which sucked out some of the detail. The claim had some validity since I thought the isolated score had more clarity and vibrance than the FSM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Are you serious?

 

Yeah; Superman II and III are not scores by John Williams, despite Ken Thorne incorporating the Maestro’s music from the first film. Unfortunately, the Maestro was not able to do the music for Superman II and III because of scheduling.

 

On the plus side, LLL releasing Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, and now Superman II and III is a dead-on give away that a remastered and definitive release of the Maestro’s score to Superman will happen by the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like discs 1 & 2 will be Sup II (79:46 score plus 13:17 extras) and Sup III will be disc 3 (64:19 score plus 8:57 extras) if it would be identical to the blue box for what it will have to offer.  Love the cover art!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

 

Yeah; Superman II and III are not scores by John Williams, despite Ken Thorne incorporating the Maestro’s music from the first film. Unfortunately, the Maestro was not able to do the music for Superman II and III because of scheduling.

 

Pretty sure that's not the reason. I think it had more to do with JW being part of Camp Donner. Thought I read somewhere that after meeting with Lester, JW said he couldn't work for someone like that. Anyway, as much as I'd have loved a Williams Superman sequel score, I think he made the right decision. Time has not been kind to SII, whereas S: TM has retained it's iconic status 40 years on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

 

No, it's a publicity shot Warner did before casting Chris Reeve as Superman. There is the story on the CapedWonder.com website.

 

So the image pre-dates Superman I, and is being used for the II/III cover!  It makes you wonder, if they are doing I next, what image they'd use for that cover?

 

Anyways, I see now that the website you mentioned uses the same image as the header for their site
 

http://www.capedwonder.com/

 

I couldn't find the article that explains the original of the still though, got a link to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

S: TM has retained it's iconic status 40 years on.

 

Right on point. I plan on seeing one of the Fathom Events screenings of Superman in theaters in November in commemorating the 40th anniversary. Never saw it on the big screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, phbart said:

In 2015 we had Jaws 4, then 3, 2, 1.

 

Superman I is coming next, apparently. But I'm not sure if the sound improvements will make our jaws drop... like Jaws did.

 

It's funny how things work, as 2015 marked the 40th anniversary of Jaws. This year marks the 40th anniversary of Superman, so...😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad 2017 didn't bring us all the Star Wars scores in reverse order to match

 

Maybe 2041 will bring us all the Harry Potter scores in reverse order to match :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Never saw it on the big screen.

I did. Saturday 16th December, 1978, at the ABC 1, Shaftesbury Avenue, in 70mm, and 6-track Dolby Stereo.

It was, up to that point, the most exhilarating time I'd ever spent, in a cinema. I saw it a total of five times, at the cinema. I loved it then; I love it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

 

I could be completely wrong, but at least with original score's Blue Box presentation, I thought I remember reading some complaints that the sound was a little iffy...something about being too tinny or "dead"? Is this warranted at all?

 

You remember correctly, but you’re wrong about the aim of the criticism, SII was criticized for sounding like a “marching band” upon its initial release, which is  due to it’s played by a smaller orchestra (not the LSO) and poor mastering choices.

 

But the Blue Box SII sounds great! Ken Thorne might’ve not have had the LSO to perform his score, but he did a stellar job none the less and on the Blue Box, MM brings his work justice. Disregard any negative comments regarding sound quality on the Blue Box (and I guess the re-release as well)!

 

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

It's no Williams release.

 

This is definitely a JW release!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, STM definitely sounds different than the previous Rhino release, that’s for sure. Which is better is a matter of preference, though, I’d be hard pressed to say STM on the Blue Box sounds bad.

 

But that is inconsequential since I understood that @Nick Parker‘s question was about Ken Thorne’s contribution to the film series - not the original JW score from ‘77.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rough cut said:

But that is inconsequential since I understood that @Nick Parker‘s question was about Ken Thorne’s contribution to the film series - not the original JW score from ‘77

 

I said "original score's", referring to the Williams score, so he was correct.

 

Appreciate your response, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jay said:


We watched the first 2 episodes.  It's basically a Black Mirror ripoff, with much less bite and polish (and budget).  The Anna Paquin episode was actually a pretty interesting story, though not executed too gracefully, and then we saw one about a small group of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world that were trying to beat this AI that had gone rogue in a warehouse.  It was not good.  I kinda wanted to give the rest of the season a try, but then too many other good shows came out.

 

Kinda agree after the first episode, a kind of MINORITY REPORT-like premise. First of all, I could hardly understand what the male protagonist said (I believe he spoke a broad Scottish accent or something), second of all the adaptation of the Dick story seemed rather lacklustre and un-exciting. But I could certainly glean some quality "between the lines". Will continue to watch. The premise of the episode you didn't like sounds far more exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jay said:

 

So the image pre-dates Superman I, and is being used for the II/III cover!  It makes you wonder, if they are doing I next, what image they'd use for that cover?

 

Anyways, I see now that the website you mentioned uses the same image as the header for their site
 

http://www.capedwonder.com/

 

I couldn't find the article that explains the original of the still though, got a link to it?

 

Sorry, it wasn't an article on the website, but likely a post on Jim Bowers' instagram or Facebook page where he discussed the genesis and usage of this particular picture. He even identified the name of the person posing as Superman. I'm trying to recover it.

 

Btw, looking at the cover, it looks like a variation of a similar image that was used also on the cover of the Superman II Donner Cut DVD cover back in 2006:

 

81mzyTFLRpL._SY445_.jpg

 

Which looks like the promotional publicity image used in 1978:

 

Newspaper_Ad_1_Superman_The_movie.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume that these are the same remasters that graced The Blue Box?

 

 

 

21 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Why did you change your profile pic, Jay. It's no Williams release.

It is a legitimate JW release. Its far more legitimate than either SOLO, or ROGUE ONE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Richard said:

I assume that these are the same remasters that graced The Blue Box?

 

Maybe MM will do some super subtle EQ changes, like he did on SPR (or he didn’t do?), and we can have an endless debate whether it sounds better or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Holko said:

Well Solo DID have a whole track composed and conducted entirely by Williams.

 

Exactly.  Superman IV is a Williams release.  Solo is a Williams release.  Superman II/III is not.  IN MY EVER SO DEEPLY HUMBLE OPINION.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Exactly.  Superman IV is a Williams release.  Solo is a Williams release.  Superman II/III is not.  IN MY EVER SO DEEPLY HUMBLE OPINION.

Damn you Disco Stu,

you made me agree with you.

Because what you say is true.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Disco Stu said:

Any sequel that uses only previously existing Williams themes/material is NOT a Williams release.

Especially when Williams didn't have anything to do with the actual scoring of these two apart from providing his music for adaptation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falafel said:

II and III do have original material (III more so than II), just not by Williams.

Well that is also a good point. Which just further separates them from being JW scores in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×