How often to do you actually listen to LLL's John Williams releases?

Josh500

Last month, how often (approximately) have you listened to these John Williams releases from LLL?   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Empire of the Sun

• Several times a week (more than 10 times in September).
    • Around once a week (around 4 or 5 times in September).
    • Once or twice in September.
    • Not once.
  2. 2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

• Not once.
  3. 3. Hook

• Not once.
  4. 4. The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection

• Not once.
  5. 5. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

• Not once.

It always tickles me when I read some members here complaining and nitpicking about every single little detail concerning these wonderful releases, because I know for a fact (or at least strongly suspect) that they don't listen to these very often anyway! Not everybody, of course, but many of them.

So let's be honest now. How often have you actually listened to these releases (approximately!) in the last month? Don't lie to yourself. You're only hurting yourself! 😂 

As for me, I constantly listen to The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection and A.I., it seems like I can't get enough of these. The others, however, don't get so many listens these days. Empire of the Sun and Hook I haven't listened to in several months, it seems.

I own all of these and have an intention to listen to them each at least once a month. I have access to all them since I bought them but that's it.

To be honest, I made an Excel Sheet for JW scores, with all the movie titles, their genres, and their release month... So, since this summer, I tend to listen to scores of movies that have been released in the current month. 

This october, I will listen to these ones:

1982 Monsignor Crime, Drama, War October
1996 Sleepers Crime, Drama, Thriller October
1997 Seven Years in Tibet Adventure, Biography, Drama October
2011 The Adventures of Tintin Animation, Action, Adventure October
2012 Lincoln Biography, Drama, History October

31 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The Jurassic Park Collection is one of my listened to albums, I always find myself coming back to it.

Same here! 

Especially "Ludlow's Speech," for some reason. I've listened to this at least a hundred times already since getting this set. Can't get enough of it, literally. 

But really, the entire score of The Lost World is breathtaking and mind-blowing!

9 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Same here! 

Especially "Ludlow's Speech," for some reason. I've listened to this at least a hundred times already since getting this set. Can't get enough of it, literally. 

But really, the entire score of The Lost World is breathtaking and mind-blowing!

Ludlow's Speech seems like a natural successor to Dennis Steals the Embryo which is why I love it!

I still don't have the expanded release of Hook, I am waiting for a new and better expanded release. Will it be done, one day?

Yes.

We don't even know whether we'll get another Hook! I for one am in two minds on this. If the original tapes are indeed irrevocably lost, the release we have now is as good and complete as it will ever get!

Since I didn't listen to ANY of those in September, here are the JW albums I DID listen to!

Spielberg/Williams, part 3

Lights, Camera, Music

The Book Thief (OST/FYC edit)

Minority Report (OST/bootleg edit)

The Force Awakens (OST/FYC/etc edit)

One of the dumbest threads ever! I have 200 CDs in my shelf and that not much in comparison to many others here. And you make a poll about 5 releases and 1 month?! I chose "not once" for all of them, although JP and TLW are my favourite scores... so what does the result bring you?

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

One of the dumbest threads ever! I have 200 CDs in my shelf and that not much in comparison to many others here. And you make a poll about 5 releases and 1 month?! I chose "not once" for all of them, although JP and TLW are my favourite scores... so what does the result bring you?

So why even bother replying? 😂 

Go pester somebody else! I couldn't care less what you have to say on this.

5 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Since I didn't listen to ANY of those in September, here are the JW albums I DID listen to!

Spielberg/Williams, part 3

Spielberg/Williams 3. Which tracks do you like? 

I haven't listened to this one very often.

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Spielberg/Williams 3. Which tracks do you like? 

I haven't listened to this one very often.

Escapades, Marion's Theme, A New Beginning, Dry Your Tears, Afrika, and With Malice Toward None (track 4) are the ones I've found myself listening to outside of the rest of the album. And after seeing JW conduct so many times in recent years, the complete album feels almost like a concert program to me, which makes it fun. Some of these pieces are staples of JW's concerts, especially BFG, Adventures of Mutt, "The Duel", and With Malice Toward None.

With that said, I think I probably enjoy Lights, Camera, Music slightly more because of all the rarities, the TFA suite, and I happen to like the sound better. Plus maybe having a different composer gives it a fresh feel? But I'm glad we got both albums together, with almost no overlap in material between the two. Twice as nice!

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

With that said, I think I probably enjoy Lights, Camera, Music slightly more because of all the rarities, the TFA suite, and I happen to like the sound better. Plus maybe having a different composer gives it a fresh feel? But I'm glad we got both albums together, with almost no overlap in material between the two. Twice as nice!

I gotta get this set! 

This one slipped my radar. I am hearing about this for the first time. Just looked at the track list, and it's awesome.

Yeah!! You need it for the TFA suite if nothing else. But the whole thing is a great listen... minus the Patriot theme which stops the album dead, IMHO. But I love Lockhart's interpretations of the TFA material, plus you don't get The Jedi Steps concert version anywhere else.

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Yeah!! You need it for the TFA suite if nothing else. But the whole thing is a great listen... minus the Patriot theme which stops the album dead, IMHO. But I love Lockhart's interpretations of the TFA material, plus you don't get The Jedi Steps concert version anywhere else.

So all these pieces don't differ from the OST albums? 

I know the Jedi Steps was arranged by JW, but the arrangements of the other pieces were done by Lockhart or Williams? 

It's all Williams' published arrangements.

Finale has a couple of changes from the OST. It starts from the end credits, skipping Jedi Steps and the Force theme. It also includes the extension to Poe's theme.

The others, I believe are the exact same arrangements from the OST.

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

But you're getting them anyway?

Only E.T. of those you listed. I always give them a spin but in the end its back to the OST.

Complete score work if you have aspergers or ocd.

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Complete score work if you have aspergers or ocd.

Now that's an obnoxious thing to say!

I think anybody who wants a track (or tracks) that's not on the OST album would want the expansion. Doesn't mean you have OCD or Aspergers!

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Now that's an accurate thing to say!

Fixed it for you. Sorry the truth hurts but there are many here who obsess over every note never considering if it worked or why it was omitted in the first place. Their entitlement to complete scores is bizarre. But thanks to these expanded releases their desires are fulfilled. 

Or maybe one wants the ability to actually appreciate the structure, variety and details of the score without the composer mucking it up!

I listened to the LLL ET and CE3K last month

I have listened to the LLL JP and the LL TLW regularly since they came out, practically weekly

I haven'st listened to the LLL EOTS in a little while

I probably listen to the LLL AI twice a year, maybe more, not sure

I have listened to the LLL Hook all the way through exactly once.  I prefer to listen to a custom edit taking things from various sources and putting them in order

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Or maybe one wants the ability to actually appreciate the structure, variety and details of the score without the composer mucking it up!

So you are saying John mucks it up?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have listened to the LLL Hook all the way through exactly once.  

Same here. From beginning to end only once. 

And a few selected tracks here and there once in a while.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I actually like the premise of the thread quite a bit; if the whole poll element was cut, it could be a pretty nuanced discussion. The angle I want to see this from is not so much the one Josh is with the nitpicking, etc., but almost the opposite in a sense. People clamor for these releases to be the "ultimate" document of a score: every possible cue, in the order of the film to preserve the "dramatic narrative", etc. But how often, when released, are these expansions played by those people, and genuinely preferred?

A common argument people make is, "Give me everything so I can make my own album." 1. I don't know if these expansions are created with that in mind (I could be wrong). 2. Myself personally, I don't think that's my job or responsibility to take these raw components and craft a satisfying album out of these. For those who do so, is it something y'all enjoy, like a LEGO kit?

I own one Williams expansion: A.I. A transcendental score, and I'm glad they released it. But at the end of the day, can Cybertronics touch Mecha World as an album opener, followed by a powerhouse of a cue that is Abandoned in the Woods? I say this literally and symbolically. D'y'all really listen to the whole thing?

All of these questions I ask is out of curiosity and a desire to hear a perspective that could be entirely alien to my own.

I think the Star Trek expanded editions work better than most. TTI and Superman do as well

If i never hear A.I. again or see that shitty film again life will be exquisite. 

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Now that's an obnoxious thing to say!

I think anybody who wants a track (or tracks) that's not on the OST album would want the expansion. Doesn't mean you have OCD or Aspergers!

Josh, thank you.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

I think the Star Trek expanded editions work better than most

Agreed.

14 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I actually like the premise of the thread quite a bit; if the whole poll element was cut, it could be a pretty nuanced discussion. The angle I want to see this from is not so much the one Josh is with the nitpicking, etc., but almost the opposite in a sense. People clamor for these releases to be the "ultimate" document of a score: every possible cue, in the order of the film to preserve the "dramatic narrative", etc. But how often, when released, are these expansions played by those people, and genuinely preferred?

It comes to the same thing. When people do nitpick, what are some common complaints? 1. That one cue or other wasn't included! or 2. It's not complete, it's got 20 seconds of music missing! or 3. It's not in the right order! etc. etc. 

Bottom line, people want the ultimate, perfect, 100% complete release! What for?

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

A common argument people make is, "Give me everything so I can make my own album." 1. I don't know if these expansions are created with that in mind (I could be wrong). 2. Myself personally, I don't think that's my job or responsibility to take these raw components and craft a satisfying album out of these. For those who do so, is it something y'all enjoy, like a LEGO kit?

That's my biggest issue with expanded releases, is that often I have to make changes to get it to actually be C&C. If I'm buying a CD set that's really, really close to C&C, I'd rather be able to actually listen to it when I want to hear the whole score. And not have to go back to my edits. It makes the actual product instantly obsolete.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I say this literally and symbolically. D'y'all really listen to the whole thing?

For each Williams score, I listen as close to C&C as is possible for that score. Williams' scores are musical storytelling, I want to listen to Williams tell me a story. I feel like removing or shuffling tracks waters that down.

If I feel like an abridged version, occasionally I try the OST, but most often I just create a quick custom playlist, depending on what I feel like.

I never edit.

I listen to the releases as they are, whether it's OST albums or Expanded Versions. 

If push comes to shove, I could arrange the order in which to listen to the tracks on my player. But even that's too much of a hassle for me.

26 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I own one Williams expansion: A.I. A transcendental score, and I'm glad they released it. But at the end of the day, can Cybertronics touch Mecha World as an album opener, followed by a powerhouse of a cue that is Abandoned in the Woods? I say this literally and symbolically. D'y'all really listen to the whole thing?

All of these questions I ask is out of curiosity and a desire to hear a perspective that could be entirely alien to my own.

You're overthinking it!

The complete release is for those who just want the complete score. Now whether the consumer listens to a few selected (previously unreleased) tracks only, enjoys the entire set from beginning to end, or creates a brand-new tailored version of his own, that's up to the listener themselves. 

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

You're overthinking it!

That's a part of the point I was making. When I buy an album--any album--I want to pop it in, press play, and let the album tell whatever story it's trying to do. I don't want to--nor think I should have to--fuss with it in any way. I am exactly ad you are:

15 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I never edit.

I listen to the releases as they are, whether it's OST albums or Expanded Versions. 

If push comes to shove, I could arrange the order in which to listen to the tracks on my player. But even that's too much of a hassle for me.

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The complete release it for those who just want the complete score. Now whether the consumer listens to a few selected (previously unreleased) tracks only, enjoys the entire set from beginning to end, or creates a brand-new tailored version of his own, that's up to the listener themselves

Yeah, that's why I'm asking listeners about how they treat these releases, 'cause the way I do, they don't really roll for me.

I consider the LLL editions definitive for the most part. I'm not really concerned about 100% completeness, alternates, film inserts, etc. but I do appreciate the inclusion of the original album program where appropriate and necessary (best example being E.T.)

I listened to everything in the poll except EotS at least once last month, plus Poseidon, Fury, CE3K, 1941, SPR and numerous other non-LLL OSTs and expansions. I have several thousand CDs and LPs and only 10-15% are film music; JW punches way above considering most repeat listens are years apart if at all.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

If i never hear A.I. again or see that shitty film again life will be exquisite. 

Damn! I was cheering you on with all the C&C digs, and then you go ahead and say that! :(

Just now, Thor said:

Damn! I was cheering you on with all the C&C digs, and then you go ahead and say that! :(

Sorry got no love for it. You can love it more to make up for it. 

Unfortunately, I do not own any of the listed scores in that particular format. If I did I'd probably listen to the JP Collection the most.

My favourite scores in general I listen to at least once a month, but new scores I like I'll listen to once a week for a little while. Par example, Solo: A Star Wars Story and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, both of which came out this year, were once a week things for me after I bought them. Now I listen to Solo every now and again. I first listened to JWFK a few weeks ago and I immediately loved it so I'm listening to that frequently.

As for special editions, I only really listen to my own combo edits a lot, as I do not own any brand expanded releases. La La Land Complete Musical Experience is superb and I listen to my TFA, TLJ, and RO combos a lot. 

If I could chose an LLL from the list above, JP Collection for sure. I only have the OST releases of JP and TLW.

The JP collection is a very frequent listen for me - relatively speaking. I can't think of any score that I listen to in its entirety more than once a month. Most are less often than that. ET's not far behind, followed by Hook. Empire of the Sun comes up in shuffle sometimes, but I never really listen to the whole album. And then A.I. isn't in my collection at all.