How often to do you actually listen to LLL's John Williams releases?

Josh500

Last month, how often (approximately) have you listened to these John Williams releases from LLL?   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Empire of the Sun

• Several times a week (more than 10 times in September).
    • Around once a week (around 4 or 5 times in September).
    • Once or twice in September.
    • Not once.
  2. 2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

• Not once.
  3. 3. Hook

• Not once.
  4. 4. The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection

• Not once.
  5. 5. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

• Not once.

I own all of them and listened to zero of them for the last 30 days.

I think I might’ve streamed Across The Stars though.

That being said, that in no way reflects my feelings towards these releases.

As for how I consume music, I rarely listen to the full album as it is released. I prefer to make my own take on it where I skip out the tracks I don’t like, or reshuffle the order. Oh, and I’ll also edit individual tracks that I think are too long or too boring but still has a good part in ‘em, and I just want to keep that part.

Life is too short to listen to bad music.

Many people here oversee the fact that among the forum users are not just fans, but also "students", as Mike Matessino put it. I for myself, I rarely listen to original albums and although I highly enjoy it, I would describe the way I listen to this kind of music as more "investigatory". It really depends on how you listen to the scores. Some are more demanding, others are easily enjoyable. The same applies to the presentation, too.

Own them all. Haven't listened to EotS, AI or ET yet. Have listened to parts of Hook about 3 times, listened to JP/LW once.

Have had TLJ on heavy rotation since the film came out (OST and FYC).

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

listened to JP/LW once.

Have had TLJ on heavy rotation since the film came out (OST and FYC).

Why would you listen to JP/TLW only once? 

TLJ is a great album, but not a LLL release!

I listened to The Lost World yesterday.

I don't own any of the others and have no interest in them, either because I don't care about those scores or (with Hook and E.T) that I'm satisfied with the OSTs.

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

I own all of them and listened to zero of them for the last 30 days.

I think I might’ve streamed Across The Stars though.

That being said, that in no way reflects my feelings towards these releases.

But that's just the point of this thread, isn't it? Anybody can say they love these releases, but if they so rarely listen to them, how much can they actually love them? BTW, I'm not even talking about listening to the whole set, just one or a few tracks!

It's like saying (exaggerated, comparison!), "Sure, I have a girlfriend (or wife), I haven't seen or talked to her once in the last month, but I love her a lot!" 😂

29 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Sure, I have a girlfriend, I haven't seen or talked to her once in the last month, but I love her a lot!

Um, yeah! Yeah, that's... totally an exaggerated comparison just for demonstration's sake, no real person would... think that! No!

44 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Who doesn't? 

Sorry for stating the obvious. Not all of us are privileged enough to own these releases. I was simply stating that which is my hope. 

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Um, yeah! Yeah, that's... totally an exaggerated comparison just for demonstration's sake, no real person would... think that! No!

Like you even have one to experience that with!

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

But that's just the point of this thread, isn't it? Anybody can say they love these releases, but if they so rarely listen to them, how much can they actually love them?

I love my grandma from Germany more than my grandma from Australia, because I see the former more often than the latter.

With a lot of my all-time favorite scores, I deliberately rarely listen to them. I save them for special occasions or when I'm in an especially good mood or when a really long drive is going to commence. 

Poltergeist is a contender for my all-time favorite score in film music history, and I haven't listened to it in two years. Want to keep it fresh for my ears, ya know?

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

With a lot of my all-time favorite scores, I deliberately rarely listen to them. I save them for special occasions or when I'm in an especially good mood or when a really long drive is going to commence. 

Poltergeist is a contender for my all-time favorite score in film music history, and I haven't listened to it in two years. Want to keep it fresh for my ears, ya know?

11 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Because familiarity breeds contempt?

These are very true.

I haven't listened to CE3K since I got that writeup out of my system in... July? Good lord, scheduled next week!

Just now, Holko said:

I haven't listened to CE3K since I got that writeup out of my system in... July? Good lord, scheduled next week!

I'm shocked that I don't own it...I think the original album is so powerful for me, I don't feel the pressing need to purchase it.

Enjoyed your write-up!

12 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Anybody can say they love these releases, but if they so rarely listen to them, how much can they actually love them?

I have a lot of passions in my life. There’s no way to spend time on them equally.

And even if music as a whole takes up a big chunk on a regular basis (I mean, who can live without music?), and JW takes up a big chunk of that, still, out of the 5 000-something tracks I have by just JW alone, on occasion, favorites are bound to be short changed.

I’d say the scope of your survey is too narrow and will give you skewed results.

How will results be affected by the ones who’ve travelled, who’ve had kids, birthdays, extra workload, moved apartment or just discovered a new favorite artist and are devoting time to get to know their catalogue? The list goes on and on with unknown reasons for why one might’ve not listened to one of your selected albums within the last 30 days.

And saying “but 30 days is what I wanted to know” is no excuse for conducting a bad poll. It just surves a personal interest which usually confirms ones biases instead of shedding proper light on a subject.

13 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I’d say the scope of your survey is too narrow and will give you skewed results.

How will results be affected by the ones who’ve travelled, who’ve had kids, birthdays, extra workload, moved apartment or just discovered a new favorite artist and are devoting time to get to know their catalogue. The list goes on and on with unknown reasons for why one might’ve not listened to one of your selected albums within the last 30 days.

That's the reason for my "not once" choices. I have been exploring the musical world of Jerry Goldsmith intensely for over 2 years now and it's not nearly enough time to cope with all the stuff. Sooner or later I will get back to Williams, but you have to imagine how much music is still out there and I'm supposed to prove my love towards the LLL sets by having listened to them in September?!

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I have a lot of passions in my life. There’s no way to spend time on them equally.

And even if music as a whole takes up a big chunk on a regular basis (I mean, who can live without music?), and JW takes up a big chunk of that, still, out of the 5 000-something tracks I have by just JW alone, on occasion, favorites are bound to be short changed.

How will results be affected by the ones who’ve travelled, who’ve had kids, birthdays, extra workload, moved apartment or just discovered a new favorite artist and are devoting time to get to know their catalogue? The list goes on and on with unknown reasons for why one might’ve not listened to one of your selected albums within the last 30 days.

And saying “but 30 days is what I wanted to know” is no excuse for conducting a bad poll. It just surves a personal interest which usually confirms ones biases instead of shedding proper light on a subject.

No. You're missing the point.

I'm not asking this question just you alone. The is a poll. So my interest lies in finding out, how generally LLL scores are treated by JWfan members. Are these releases listened to very often, sometimes, rarely, or never? I purposely selected five random releases of the past 10 years, and purposely asked about a whole month (the last one, of course) and not, say, about just a week or a single day. And why would I ask about a whole year or longer... who in the world would remember with any accuracy? 

If you took the time to take a look at the result so far (instead of talking rubbish out of the air), you'll notice that many people have actually listened to these releases in the past month, albeit rarely. And that's what I wanted to know. How many people do still listen and how much. That we all lead personal lives apart from JW scores and are unable to listen to them 24/7 stands to reason--well duh, thanks for pointing that out, Caption Obvious.

My advice to you: If you don't like or understand this poll, just don't participate. I'm sure most people won't miss you here.... and certainly not me. 😂 

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Really? Poltergeist is your all-time favourite? Which cues do you like especially, and why!?

I'm partial to this score myself, so it's probably in my Top 100 scores. :D

This opening is especially nice, I thought, score and film. So peaceful, lovely, and achingly nostalgic, somehow:

15 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Why would you listen to JP/TLW only once? 

TLJ is a great album, but not a LLL release!

As I don't have the time. I have TLJ in the car so listen to that's often to and from work.

4 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

As I don't have the time. I have TLJ in the car so listen to that's often to and from work.

And why can't you have JP in the car?

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I would guess there's only one CD slot in his car, and that's occupied with TLW.

I think he's talking about TLJ!

Or was that a spelling error? 😂 

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I would guess there's only one CD slot in his car, and that's occupied with TLW.

Nah, no CD in car, only USB / BT media. Just haven't had a chance to put anything else on there yet.

However, this thread has highlighted the error of my ways. I'll make a point of refreshing my playlist before next week.

My advice to you: If you don't like or understand this poll, just don't participate.

I didn’t participate.

I'm sure most people won't miss you here.... and certainly not me. 😂 

And your attitude is extremely condescending... It’d be great if you could keep your criticism constructive.

There’s no need for me to stoop to your level and retort in a similar fashion and attack your person and the way you set up your polls - I continuously see that in comment after comment on poll after poll. So much for “most people.”

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Alas, he doesn't.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oof.

I ask in all earnesty and desire to know where you're coming from: what's wrong with the OST? I have the Arista album that has no Meco at the end.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Bad edits

Some of the edits are clunky, being from '77, but the musical effect of these edits create such a gripping, almost spiritual journey.

For example, the latter part of this track, in the context of the film or the chronological score, is pretty much travelogue music, point A to point B type stuff. Here, though, placed right after the famous opening stinger, it takes an almost mythological significance and power, like it's the thunderous galloping of the Universe at field. Makes quite the album closer too.

Now of course, there is some _great_, __great__ music missing from the OST. But when I listen to it--which is not often, for reasons @kaseykockroach described, my mind is completely enthralled by what is front of me.

19 hours ago, Josh500 said:

But that's just the point of this thread, isn't it? Anybody can say they love these releases, but if they so rarely listen to them, how much can they actually love them? BTW, I'm not even talking about listening to the whole set, just one or a few tracks!

It's like saying (exaggerated, comparison!), "Sure, I have a girlfriend (or wife), I haven't seen or talked to her once in the last month, but I love her a lot!" 😂

How many times in the last month have you visited your favorite vacation spot? How many times in the last month have you watched your favorite film? How many times in the last month have you eaten at your favorite upscale restaurant? How many times in the last month have you read your favorite book?

You can love something and still space out your enjoyment of it.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Some of the edits are clunky, being from '77, but the musical effect of these edits create such a gripping, almost spiritual journey.

For example, the latter part of this track, in the context of the film or the chronological score, is pretty much travelogue music, point A to point B type stuff. Here, though, placed right after the famous opening stinger, it takes an almost mythological significance and power, like it's the thunderous galloping of the Universe at field. Makes quite the album closer too.

Now of course, there is some _great_, __great__ music missing from the OST. But when I listen to it--which is not often, for reasons @kaseykockroach described, my mind is completely enthralled by what is front of me.

The Gerhardt suite is nice, if looking for a condensed representation of the score.

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Gerhardt suite is nice, if looking for a condensed representation of the score.

It is indeed, the 20 minute suite (not that pansy ass 10 minute one Williams usually performs). But the OST is even better!

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

You can love something and still space out your enjoyment of it.

No argument there.

Except this poll isn't about "love." 😂 

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

I didn’t participate.

And your attitude is extremely condescending... It’d be great if you could keep your criticism constructive.

There’s no need for me to stoop to your level and retort in a similar fashion and attack your person and the way you set up your polls - I continuously see that in comment after comment on poll after poll. So much for “most people.”

Yeah, don't. And no need to call something "bad" right off the bat just because you don't understand it. No need for me to stoop to your "mind" level. ;)

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

No argument there.

Except this poll isn't about "love." 😂 

The post of yours that I was quoting was about "love"...? For your convenience, here are your words again, verbatim: "But that's just the point of this thread, isn't it? Anybody can say they love these releases, but if they so rarely listen to them, how much can they actually love them?"

I'm baffled.