Fabulin

On 5. Oktober 2018 at 7:27 PM, TGP said:

Defend him against what?  Against nonsensical deification which cheapens his legacy rather than enriches it?  A few of us are trying to defend against that if you look again.

Unlike the nonsensical, dictatorial relativism and defending you practice with Hans Zimmer, which totally doesn't cheapen anything, and whose opponents you totally don't accuse of having an agenda.

9 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Unlike the nonsensical, dictatorial relativism and defending you practice with Hans Zimmer, which totally doesn't cheapen anything, and whose opponents you totally don't accuse of having an agenda.

You're correct it's completely different.  I'm not trying to oversell Zimmer as the greatest ever, I just believe in credit where credit is due, and I think he is due credit whether or not you actually like what he does, and I also think more people need to try to have a level and fair head about him in general.  Whereas this kind of puffing up of Williams' abilities and legacies to somewhat overblown levels does, to me, detract from all of the praise that he is rightly due.  Both represent silly extremes, deification and demonization.  Truth as always is somewhere comfortably right in the sane middle.

John had it so easy. Everything was given to him. He worked for gems like

I Passed for White

Gidget goes to Rome

Daddy-O

Daddy's Gone A-Hunting.

Ah the Classics. 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

What it boils down to for me is that there is not sufficient discussion ground on these silly threads because the posters throwing around their semantic weight the loudest have a woefully small frame of reference - it's all about american movies, 1977 onwards, and Oscar wins, Who wants to be a Millionaire mentions, box office and all that bullshit and there just isn't any curiousity or interest in anything besides that. Cue that obligatory 'Oh i saw that european/korean/icelandic flick, boring as fuck' and turn on your heels.

To me this just reads like, "oh okay I admit I begrudgingly don't deny that there's nobody else working in film music these days who is pound for pound a match for Williams' compositional chops and talent, but I hate that I can't disagree with you all because I think what I do about the subject for different and important reasons to you lot, bah!"

"I am a serious film score enthusiast damn it!" There is more to this fine medium than Force themes and other populist ditties!"

It's as if you dislike that you have to fraternise about this stuff, but you just can't help yourself. But is being irked off about it every time this comes up really worth the hassle? I couldn't be arsed. 

*Superman March* :music:

26 minutes ago, hornist said:

TGP wanna be great. J

oke😂😂😂

Knows nothing

I don't want to be great and I never will be.  I am a mediocre composer who scrounges for work amongst many far more talented and hungry people but I do get jobs, I get paid sometimes a very decent amount to do things I love, and I have gotten to meet many wonderful people both famous and behind the curtains.  This is to say nothing of what I've done as a husband and father which is much more worthwhile.  I know enough, at least, to not be such a truly nasty and belligerent person as you are, alcohol or not.  And certainly not over something so insignificant and petty as all of our minute gradations of Williams devotion.

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

I don't want to be great and I never will be.  I am a mediocre composer who scrounges for work amongst many far more talented and hungry people but I do get jobs, I get paid sometimes a very decent amount to do things I love, and I have gotten to meet many wonderful people both famous and behind the curtains.  This is to say nothing of what I've done as a husband and father which is much more worthwhile.  I know enough, at least, to not be such a truly nasty and belligerent person as you are, alcohol or not.  And certainly not over something so insignificant and petty as all of our minute gradations of Williams devotion.

Lovely story!!  And not alcohol this time, I just do not love the better people.

3 minutes ago, hornist said:

Lovely story!!  And not alcohol this time, I just do not love the better people.

Whatever mate.  We've been back and forth and I could always laugh it off but now it's just too much, too weird.  

2 hours ago, hornist said:

Well you know something about my state but nothing about music you idiot. This is not my first language so give me a break. Fucking moron. 

Dont worry about English so much, I'd say your time would be better spent learning how to conduct yourself like a decent human being. Time and time again you show little but contempt for those who hold a view different from your own, personally and aggressively  insulting people for no discernible reason. How you haven't been 86'd from this place is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Arcane?  Are you sure that's the word you're looking for?  Anyway of course we can argue to the end of time about what makes a composer great.  But some names that come to mind who I judge as operating on at the very least a firmly equal and probably somewhat higher musical plane, and who overall show a much more diverse and rich output, are John Adams, Per Norgard, Magnus Lindberg, James MacMillan, Anders Hillborg, George Crumb, John Corigliano, George Benjamin, Kaija Saariaho ,and I'm probably forgetting a few others.  

I must admit I am not at all familiar with some of the names you mention.  I am quite familiar with the music of Adams, MacMillan and Corigliano, though, and, for me, Williams is definitely comfortably in that group: I'd go as far as to say that only Adams might have a case for superiority there, but perhaps not in all areas.  MacMillan, though, I must say, I do quite enjoy his work. 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Gidget goes to Rome

That makes me feel better about my life.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

It's as if you dislike that you have to fraternise about this stuff, but you just can't help yourself. But is being irked off about it every time this comes up really worth the hassle? I couldn't be arsed. 

Still, you are.

Like a fever rush, these threads are over as soon as they have began - and of course, nobody really gives a shit. So they must have some ritual meaning, like a cleansing rain.

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Dont worry about English so much, I'd say your time would be better spent learning how to conduct yourself like a decent human being. Time and time again you show little but contempt for those who hold a view different from your own, personally and aggressively  insulting people for no discernible reason. How you haven't been 86'd from this place is beyond me. 

Sorry about that. Domestic problems. 

Answering your question requires embracing the delusion that John Williams is the very bestest of all timez, and I think a lot of us are a bit less naive and narrow-minded than that. 

29 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Answering your question requires embracing the delusion that John Williams is the very bestest of all timez, and I think a lot of us are a bit less naive and narrow-minded than that. 

Well, he is arguably the bestest film composer of all time. 

Ranking's fun!

(As long as you don't take it too seriously, which a lot of folks probably do)

I'm not sure I have a number one pick anymore. I definitely know who my top five are, but I can't choose one out of the favorite five!

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

I could never work out why TGP is always so offhand and mean to Hornist. I suppose I must have missed the thread with the big fallout. 

There was no one thing but as long as I’ve been here at the forum he’s been very little other than nasty to anyone including me who doesn’t meet his standards of Williams devotion and/or Zimmer disdain.  At nearly every turn on such subjects there he is, at best being dismissive or at worst totally vicious.  I’m not talking about arguing/debate or anything like that which is fine, this is just unmitigated aggression.  Nobody could accuse me of having a timid personality and I’ve certainly changed my tune even more with him accordingly but I think and hope I’ve never been close to the level of personal belligerence that he’s displayed most recently right here in this thread.  If I have I apologize to him and the community here but I don’t think so.

The Shore Fly is better than the Young.

Shore's great and is more interesting than the maestro in certain departments. But Williams easily outclasses him as a composer, as he does when compared to most film composers.

Young's score leans a little too much on the conventional, vanilla side for me. Shore's larger-than-life, operatic take is more interesting. 

Young isn't always harmonically the most interesting composer for me. But as a genre guy, he's great fun.

I shore do think I'm clearly in a losing battle here, so what the hey...

Paying 30$ for Shore's score was one of the biggest wastes of money in my soundtrack-loving life. Great score in a great film, but an above-average listen on a messy album. Dude can't even write an interesting theme if his life depended on it!

15 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd certainly agree that themes are not Shore's strong point.

Hmm, I think he writes quite strong and memorable themes, when called upon. Certainly much better than the generic dreck I hear coming out of some of the new wave musicians plying their wares in the industry these days. For me, Shore's blind spot is his action material, which can be awfully repetitive and uninspired IMO. Which isn't to say he hasn't also written some teriffic cues in the action mould, because he has. But they are few and far between. 

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Many on JWfan would probably disagree.

Anyway, aren't you one of them? 

I see part of Shore's weakness as inconsistency. Some of his themes are really good, but others are meh. I think the Misty Mountains theme is the best theme in the trilogy, for example.

I'd support your notion on his action music. Compare the Osgiliath siege with the Shelob sequences. I usually nod off during the former, whereas the latter is a fascinating listen.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think the Misty Mountains theme is the best theme in the trilogy, for example.

Which was written by Plan 9, not Shore ;)

Could that have had a hand in it not being used at all in DoS and BotFA? Rights issues?

I do like the Osgiliath siege.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Which was written by Plan 9, not Shore ;)

Yes, that's my point, that what I considered the best theme wasn't by shore :)

I'd initially thought maybe Shore didn't want to use it subsequently as it wasn't his theme.