Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME (2019)

Jay

That's the bit that always makes me think of this!

(and by association, the Erebor theme!)

On 7/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, El Jefe said:

I actually agree with this. 

Just listen to Beethoven’s 4th piano concerto. Then you’ll see. That is all. 😉

Well, that’s not quite all. JW himself speaks self-deprecatingly about his oeuvre not ever reaching the level of the classical greats. Sure, a lot of that comes from his endearing modesty, and yeah, much of his music is better than a lot of the classical canon, but surely it can’t be argued that (classical) music that can be written to express ideas and truths in a pure form as well as in a programmatic form is not inherently loftier than film music, which is definitionally representational of only filmed stories. I mean, that’s like saying film is the ultimate art form then, if a subservient art like film scoring is better than the musical art form

that spawned it. And that’d be just nuts!

On 7/9/2019 at 10:01 PM, Kasey Kockroach said:

Music > losing my virginity (not that I have a choice)

Yeah the first time is usually awkward and not too exciting.

Sure it does:

Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJ9JD63/

I received mine in the mail this week and it's definitely a CDR

You can import the pressed EU edition from Amazon UK for £9.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SJ9JD63/

I absolutely love the opening suite, particularly the sequence that introduces Mysterio's theme, as it gives me the same vibes and energy as Danny Elfman's Spiderman scores, particularly those fantastic opening cues.

as for Mysterio's theme its very memorable and just really enjoyable to listen to, and I like how it moves from taking a tragic dimension to a more sinister one as the movie progresses. 

The movie isn't as good as Homecoming, certainly.

The score.... I am still deciding, but leaning towards Homecoming being better.  There's tons of great stuff here but I don't like the love theme as much as Homecoming's, and while Mysterio's material is really cool and The Vulture's theme was so simple and kinda cliched, ultimately I just like it better.

Oh, I haven't seen the movie. Score-wise I'm still favoring Homecoming. That was instantly enjoyable for me. Far From Home is harder for me to get into. Don't know why. Does it feel "louder" than Homecoming to anyone else? 

Homecoming doesn't have the same intensity, but it feels more straightforward and wholesome than Far From Home for some reason. Though in Far From Home, Mysterio's Theme takes a not only a more prominent role alongside Spidey's in the score, it too evolves (or devolves) and develops, whereas The Vulture's Theme is singular in its use and is a flat-out villain theme. To be honest, I was more intrigued by Mysterio's Theme than any of the other themes!

Here in Australia, it seems it was a European import based on the disc labels - it's strange why they didn't press any CDs in the US!

My Amazon UK order arrived today, will post pictures comparing it to the US CDR version later

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The movie isn't as good as Homecoming, certainly.

The score.... I am still deciding, but leaning towards Homecoming being better.  There's tons of great stuff here but I don't like the love theme as much as Homecoming's, and while Mysterio's material is really cool and The Vulture's theme was so simple and kinda cliched, ultimately I just like it better.

I liked the love theme from the first one too but this one works better with this European setting. And Vulture theme is effective but it's basically the same as Thern theme from John Carter.

I like the sequel score more. Feels more full-bodied and the action music is better. I really disliked the clinactic cues in Homecoming.

Karol

Perhaps a full session leak would sway me.  I really like the first 4 cues of the complete score, none of which are on the OST

Damn, I ordered the disc from amazon uk on Wednesday and it arrived today. 

I was a bit worried because there was no seal on the jewel case but it is a cd, manufactured in the EU, (Germany).

The booklet unfolds to a mini poster of the front cover. The musicians are listed and also features the normal cd credits.

It it also states:  Tracks 4, 10 & 16 interpolate portions of “theme from marvel avengers”.  Written by Alan Silvestri.

E31E375E-362F-4562-BA02-281E17002026.jpeg

What do you mean by "seal on the jewel case"?  My copy from Amazon UK came shrinkwrapped do you mean like a sticker or something?

On 7/26/2019 at 8:17 PM, El Jefe said:

Damn, I ordered the disc from amazon uk on Wednesday and it arrived today. 

I was a bit worried because there was no seal on the jewel case but it is a cd, manufactured in the EU, (Germany).

The booklet unfolds to a mini poster of the front cover. The musicians are listed and also features the normal cd credits.

It it also states:  Tracks 4, 10 & 16 interpolate portions of “theme from marvel avengers”.  Written by Alan Silvestri.

E31E375E-362F-4562-BA02-281E17002026.jpeg

I ordered from Amazon.ca and it is this same version "Made in the EU" pressed CD

• 1 month later...

Since the extended cut of the film will be in theatres, I'm sure there'll be more unreleased music, probably some we haven't heard before. Alternatively, they might just reuse material from elsewhere in the score ala HP1's reincorporation of the deleted scenes to make an 'Extended Edition'.

We know there's a sequence of Peter fighting in a hotel(?) with the mechanical spider legs, but I'd be looking forward to more Mysterio material!

Oh they're just putting the to do list sequence back in. It's probably largely scored by a pop/rock song, though it's possible Giacchino wrote some score for it as well. It was cut so late, it most likely was scored along with everything else

• 2 weeks later...