James Newton Howard's FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD

Jay

Love the samples, sounds like another really enjoyable score. Nice to hear those two themes again (Newt's hero theme in 6/8 is pretty cool!) and the new one sounds pretty good.

I suspect I'll enjoy this score at least as much as Last Jedi, Ready Player One, Solo, and Incredibles 2 which would make the last 12 months probably the most satisfying for these splashy orchestral scores in awhile. 

4 hours ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Can't preview, New Zealand only? 

Did JW ever write a Dumbledore theme btw?

Williams, no. I think I remember Nicholas Hooper intending “In Noctem” to be an ode of sorts for the character. Desplat had a little motif for Dumbledore’s past/family. 

But he’s never really had a theme proper.

!! BREAKING NEWS !!

Peter Golub replaces James Newton Howard as composer on the upcoming 'FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD'. Newton Howard dropped out of the film due to 'scheduling conflicts,' according to a statement from Warner Brothers. Golub replaces Newton Howard, who regrettably pulled out of work on the epic fantasy film and decided to focus on Joe Johnston's 'The Nutcracker and the Four Realms'. Peter Golub is one of the most respected and renowned composers in film today. 

https://variety.com/2018/film/newton-howard-drops-out-of-fantastic-sequel-345745843

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

!! BREAKING NEWS !!

Peter Golub replaces James Newton Howard as composer on the upcoming 'FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD'. Newton Howard dropped out of the film due to 'scheduling conflicts,' according to a statement from Warner Brothers. Golub replaces Newton Howard, who regrettably pulled out of work on the epic fantasy film and decided to focus on Joe Johnston's 'The Nutcracker and the Four Realms'. Peter Golub is one of the most respected and renowned composers in film today. 

https://variety.com/2018/film/newton-howard-rops-out-of-fantastic-sequel-345745843

🙄

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

!! BREAKING NEWS !!

https://variety.com/2018/film/newton-howard-drops-out-of-fantastic-sequel-345745843

👃(this is my signature smiley now)

19 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Don't care much for that main theme but Salamander Eyes is absolutely lovely!

What main theme?

The other piece is not the main theme. The main theme hasn't been reprised yet in these samples and released pieces.

The big swashbuckling theme you hear towards the end of the piece is Newt's Hero Theme from his first score.

Really love the first, titular track! It will be interesting to see whether it's an album suite or an actual film cue. Reminds you how great JNH is. 

Salamander one is nice too, although it's basically half a reprise from the final scenes of the first one. 

5 hours ago, Will said:

Really love the first, titular track! It will be interesting to see whether it's an album suite or an actual film cue. 

Since it’s listed as the last (orchestral) track on the album I’m guessing it’s for the credits. Similar kind of energy to his “End Titles” tracks for the first one.

On 10/13/2018 at 2:02 PM, kaseykockroach said:

We already have two scores of the year, we don't need another one! Too much good music! 

Which are those?

The digital version is going to be available a week before the movie and the piano tracks will be available from the 26th of this month. 

The CD comes out the 30th November 

• 2 weeks later...

Leta's theme sounds like it's gonna be this decade's JNH's Lady In The Water

Sounds Great!

( i love it when JNH crafts a "really simple" melody, and maximises it to a glorious effect ( > the three note danger motif of Signs, repeating two descending notes of Lady in The Water, I Am Legend theme, etc.)

In addition to the solo piano tracks, there are two others available -- one sharing the title of the movie and one called "Salamandar Eyes."

Good stuff!

Dumbledore's theme reminds me a little of JW's BFG:

2:22-2:35

Very nice Dumbledore melody. Not necessarily super "hummable," but then how many themes really are? 

EDIT: Ah, I see @leeallen01 also noticed Williams influence here. :)

I'm kind of glad he's decided just to call this just straight up the Fantastic Beasts Theme.  There was quite a bit of debate over what to call different melodies with the first score as I remember.  I seem to remember Bloodboal's breakdown referring to it as the "Wizarding World Theme"

One of the best themes - let's call it the Healing theme or whatever - i am still not sure what it represents or what it is called. It gets to shine in a concert version during the massive memory wipeout scene.

14 hours ago, publicist said:

My biggest disappointment from that score. Barely disguised Silvestri tune and that already wasn't much to write home about.

Which Silvestri tune?

I thought I heard it was supposedly an Elfman one.

Either way, I definitely quite like it.

I think that finale piece was grand and captivating, but by no means the most interesting or intelligent of his writing for the film. It ranks high in my scores which "I know it's great but I don't really listen to it"... when I do it is the soundtrack to the long nights of autumn!

By these clips I'm glad to hear the Potter musical tradition is still being carried confidently forward. It has Newton Howard all over it, and that's no bad thing.

29 minutes ago, publicist said:

You can hear the JNH motif clearly in the second phrase of Silvestri's theme song to Polar Express.

I can Indeed hear a similar sort of nice sound to both.

But I still enjoy them separately and wouldn't have made that connection on myself.

Of course I'm often a big fan of celebrating differences anyway, so that might have something to do with it. ;)

4 hours ago, publicist said:

It's this kind of early 90's Elfman stuff, very generic sound now. You can hear the JNH motif clearly in the second phrase of Silvestri's theme song to Polar Express.

Well damn.  I won't be able to unhear that now. lol