James Newton Howard's FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD

Jay

On 11/2/2018 at 4:59 AM, publicist said:

It's this kind of early 90's Elfman stuff, very generic sound now. You can hear the JNH motif clearly in the second phrase of Silvestri's theme song to Polar Express.

This tune is giving me major flashbacks to some other pretty familiar soundtrack theme/tune but I can't place my finger on it. Anyone have any ideas? I thought it was Edward Scissorhands but I just checked and it's not.

It's blueprint is most definitely 'Edwards Scissorhands', note especially the general orchestral setting and the ascending notes after 02:12. 

For a while, every score sounded like this, i. e.

JNH's theme only shares a couple of notes of Scissorhands. The reason it feels like it, and Polar Express and Casper etc, is because they all express their themes in similar ways; with the magical orchestration choices and choir.

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

JNH's theme only shares a couple of notes of Scissorhands. The reason it feels like it, and Polar Express and Casper etc, is because they all express their themes in similar ways; with the magical orchestration choices and choir.

Don't excuse temp track love! 

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

Don't excuse temp track love! 

JNH and Yates have both said no temp was used.

Also Yates turned down about 10 themes JNH wrote for the main moments of the film, so temp would have had no relation anyway if it was used. He did about 42 takes on the opening logo alone.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Also Yates turned down about 10 themes JNH wrote for the main moments of the film, so temp would have had no relation anyway if it was used. He did about 42 takes on the opening logo alone.

Holy crap! For a director who got such 'meh' music for his Harry Potter films, it seems he sure has a lot to say about the music!!

I really wonder how JNH managed to pull off what Hooper and Desplat didn't (for me).

Also... Would any of those other themes have been recorded? Imagine what might be included in the sessions! :o

13 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Holy crap! For a director who got such 'meh' music for his Harry Potter films, it seems he sure has a lot to say about the music!!

I really wonder how JNH managed to pull off what Hooper and Desplat didn't (for me).

Also... Would any of those other themes have been recorded? Imagine what might be included in the sessions! :o

Seriously Yates has some balls being picky. For a property as ripe for good music as Tarzan, he got the most uninspired score ever.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Imagine what might be included in the sessions! :o

Modern composers mock up this stuff on the computer. By the time JNH goes to the sessions these decisions have long been made.

28 minutes ago, publicist said:

Modern composers mock up this stuff on the computer. By the time JNH goes to the sessions these decisions have long been made.

I was afraid of that.

Well, then hopefully at least JNH will revisit the good bits he didn't use for the sequels instead.

4 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Most of the rejected themes were for the opening logos. He did a whole presentation on it at a composer talk I attended last year, where he played video and audio examples of how he settled on the opening logo music. The main 5 or so themes he wrote for the film were used in countless different ways over the opening logos, but Yates kept saying, quote: "that's nice, but it's not the one."

JNH tried to use his main theme, his healing theme, the love theme, Newt's adventure theme, Kowalski's theme etc, and they all were rejected for the opening. But he of course used them for their respective characters and meaning elsewhere in the film, but eventually they agreed on that punchy Motif for Grindelwald as you see the Fantastic Beasts logo and through the opening sequence.

I'm gonna stick with Bloodboal's analysis until someone convinces me otherwise

On 11/27/2016 at 6:28 PM, BloodBoal said:

The Fantastic Beasts Theme

To me, this is definitely NOT Grindelwald's theme, rather a theme for the creatures. It is used over the Fantastic Beasts logo, then for the scene with the Billywig and the scene with the Demiguise, so that would make more sense than it being a theme for Grindelwald.

Disc 1 - 01. Main Titles: 00'19 - 00'38 / 01:23 - 01'34

Disc 2 - 03. Billywig: 00'01 - 00'21

Disc 2 - 04. The Demiguise And The Lollipop: 00'04 - 00'12 / 00'19 - End

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

The thematic meanings are a mess in that score anyway. I still want to know why that fantastic Macusa theme disappears after Pie or Strudel.

Well JNH calls that the Fantastic Beasts Theme now.

On 10/31/2018 at 8:26 AM, Disco Stu said:

I'm kind of glad he's decided just to call this just straight up the Fantastic Beasts Theme.  There was quite a bit of debate over what to call different melodies with the first score as I remember.  I seem to remember Bloodboal's breakdown referring to it as the "Wizarding World Theme"

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Most of the rejected themes were for the opening logos. He did a whole presentation on it at a composer talk I attended last year, where he played video and audio examples of how he settled on the opening logo music. The main 5 or so themes he wrote for the film were used in countless different ways over the opening logos, but Yates kept saying, quote: "that's nice, but it's not the one."

JNH tried to use his main theme, his healing theme, the love theme, Newt's adventure theme, Kowalski's theme etc, and they all were rejected for the opening. But he of course used them for their respective characters and meaning elsewhere in the film, but eventually they agreed on that punchy Motif for Grindelwald as you see the Fantastic Beasts logo and through the opening sequence.

It is the conspiracy theme and represents anything mysterious and nefarious happening in the plot.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

The thematic meanings are a mess in that score anyway. I still want to know why that fantastic Macusa theme disappears after Pie or Strudel.

That's the main theme of the franchise. But it is used so poorly in the score that you wouldn't know it's the main theme at all. Such a great theme too but horribly underused in the movie.

41 minutes ago, Luka said:

Can I just say... I CAN'T WAIT 'til Friday for the full score to come out!! 😱

And fore the movie too! A week after though

Well, given the world premiere is tomorrow in France at just a 10 minute walk from where I live, I might stop by and see if they broadcast some music :)

It's Friday in New Zealand already.  All of tomorrow's new music releases are therefore all over the internet already.  This happens every week.

Consider myself disappointed,..

The score, is too slow to my liking.

This score relies heavily on slow strings, but they dont go anywhere. A bit boring to be honest. 

This score also lacks cohesiveness ( themes start promising, only to disappear moments later ) ( again.... )

There are some decent highlights of course, especially when it goes action-fantasy. But unfortunately, there's very little of them

Overall, this is a disappointment.

Autopilot-JNH-fantasy-mode score

( * I mean, we just heard a grandeur that is HTTYD 3 snippett, and we need that inbetween, and FB2 fails to do just that)