James Newton Howard's FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD

Jay

Gave most of this score a once through and there are some gens in there, but I also get the impression through several of the tracks that it sounds a bit, over-produced? Almost heading into trailer music territory, and it bugs me because I can hear JNH in spots and then it'll be back to 'epic strings' and bass etc. The closest comparison I felt was Danny Elfman's Justice League.

30 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Gave most of this score a once through and there are some gens in there, but I also get the impression through several of the tracks that it sounds a bit, over-produced? Almost heading into trailer music territory, and it bugs me because I can hear JNH in spots and then it'll be back to 'epic strings' and bass etc. The closest comparison I felt was Danny Elfman's Justice League.

You're definitely right - that struck me too, although I'm not sure if I'd say it's necessarily a bad thing. Tricky to decide. See, e.g.:

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Is this 

inspired by this?

If only, im no JNH biggest fan, but that kind of ostinato is pure JNH's own style. That kind of sound can be heard in signs, lady in the water,and other sayahmalann's movies

for example:

18 hours ago, KK said:

Don't hear it.

I do hear Zimmer though:

That's also what I thought the first time I heard it!!

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Erm. That is JNH 

Ah, I didn't know that. Sounds like classic Zimmer though. That dramatic Goreki-esque chaconne is a staple in much of his work:

Broadly speaking though.  You'd have to look at the score for that cue to know.  I'd be surprised if that weren't Hans but it would be a testament to how fused they were on those films. 

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

But in the sections and subjects of the film and pieces JNH said he took care of, include that piece.

He was probably influenced by Zimmer then 😂

The Batman trilogy scores, as JNH has said, are based around Zimmer's sound. For me, JNH was the real emotion behind those scores, and influenced Zimmer in many ways. But JNH did stylistically shape his contribution to fit within Zimmer's style. Which is why some music that people assign immediately to Zimmer, was actually JNH. 

4 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

The Batman trilogy scores, as JNH has said, are based around Zimmer's sound. For me, JNH was the real emotion behind those scores, and influenced Zimmer in many ways. But JNH did stylistically shape his contribution to fit within Zimmer's style. Which is why some music that people assign immediately to Zimmer, was actually JNH. 

Those scores had emotion?

Yep quite swashbuckling in the middle section. 

And there's a moment near the beginning that almost sounds like Hans' "Supermarine." 

Most of the music I  like comes from videogames lately

Film music apart from JW and sometimes Giacchino or Desplat  is all the same boring shit lately .I've given up hope on JNH and Silvestri

Just saw it. While I don’t know what to think of the movie yet, I can say I was disappointed by the music. But I can see why as the movie has not that much breathing room. Indeed most of the action has generic trailer music. There are still some great moments throughout but I’ll have to give a proper listen to the soundtrack.

After watching the movie can confirm this is the Queenie theme (from 2:46 to 3:46). It is arguably the biggest character moment in the film and is treated with a big statement.

I think this them was last also used in the last film when she's wishing goodbye to Jacob but we didn't know it was going her theme then. The new film is making some theme associations more clear.

I noticed a theme from the first movie being reused in the second one, that I think could be associated with Grindelwlad. But the weird thing is that the part it was supposed to play in the first movie was changed with a statement of the Fantastic Beasts Fanfare (or the main titles theme, depending on how you call it)

The appearance of the theme in Relieve Him of His Wand

its appearance in The Thestral Chase

and also appears here

And I definetly think that bit in Spread the Word is related to Queenie, but I think is not Queenie's theme but more like a variation of Jacob and Queenie's theme, as is very similar to what plays several times in scenes they're togetehr in the movie, and it appeared in the first movie at the moment they're about to obliviate Jacob near the end.

5 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

And I definetly think that bit in Spread the Word is related to Queenie, but I think is not Queenie's theme but more like a variation of Jacob and Queenie's theme, as is very similar to what plays several times in scenes they're togetehr in the movie, and it appeared in the first movie at the moment they're about to obliviate Jacob near the end.

Those are two separate themes. The theme that you link above and call their love theme is their love theme. And it is reprised in Grindlewald in a choral version in the track below (0:12 - 1:12).

The Queenie theme (that I quoted above from Spread the Word) is also heard on flute in the track from the original film that you quoted but starting at 9:37 (9:37 - 10:07).

So there are two separate themes I think (Queenie/Jacob theme and Queenie theme) and both are reprised in Grindelwald.

5 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

I noticed a theme from the first movie being reused in the second one, that I think could be associated with Grindelwlad.

I think the main Grindlewald theme is heard here from 2:24 - 2:36.

This theme was played whenever he appeared, kinda how Williams plays the Kylo Ren theme whenever he appears. I distinctly remember this theme being played when Grindlewald appears for the finale but I can't find it on the album I think. It should be between Leta's confession and Visions of War. Or maybe it was tracked in the film.

Well, now listening to the different apparitions I agree that there is a theme for Queenie/Jacob and another for Queenie.

The theme I listed could be like a secondary idea for Grindelwald. And I remember that the bit from The Thestral Chase also played near the end again, but it's not on album.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:30 PM, King Mark said:

Most of the music I  like comes from videogames lately

Film music apart from JW and sometimes Giacchino or Desplat  is all the same boring shit lately .I've given up hope on JNH and Silvestri

Unfortunately... yet again I have the same sort of stance. My newer scores tend to be sporadic, from all sorts of random composers. The big composers don't deliver reliably any more.

Most of my new music is library music these days.