Fabulin

Ooh, I can post some snippets of rips next week, most of what I'm thinking of never had any kind of release outside of their movies.

Here's the credits for Children of Glory, a kinda-epic about the 1956 Hungarian revolution against the Soviet occupation and the historic "Blood in the Water" olympic waterpolo match after it was crushed. It uses the first line of our national anthem as its main motif, it could kinda fit into jingoistic epic if you strech a bit.

There are tons, but for some reason the first that sprang to mind are the great sweeping scores for that run of wuxia films by Tan Dun and Shigeru Umebayashi.

Crouching Tiger.  Hero.  House of Flying Daggers.  They all had fantastic scores.

So, the first of my rips: A Tanú (The Witness)

https://picosong.com/w2T6s/

One of our best comedies, a bit dark political satire, made in 1969 and banned for a decade. The main melody starts out with and returns to a harsh slavic dance with a sweeter, flowing bridge - mimicking how the main character, an insignificant and dumb but honest and likeable little man is encased by the higher political powers that try to use him as a puppet in their power schemes. Then there's variations: jazzy atmospheres, an organ piece for the fairground, a guitar-heavy mediterranean bit for the Orange Research Institute and a militant march for building a house. This here's very near to being the entire score.

Another rip collection, this is close to being one of my holy grails to have rerecorded - the chances of which converge to zero :( 

Egri Csillagok/Stars of Eger/Eclipse of the Crescent Moon (1968, happy 50th!)

Part 1

Part 2

Our most beloved historical epic, Part 1 is a love story with a trek across the Mediterranean, Part 2 is all about the 1552 siege of the castle of Eger by the Ottomans.

If one knows me, they know this score appeals to me with it historic roots (the overture contains the poetic account of the siege written back in 1552 by our most famous minstrel, then gets echoed back in the finale), swirling love theme, and tons of ethnic source material (quite caricateurishly culturally appropriated "Turkish" music, but awesome nonetheless).

Unfortunately some of the best material is SFX and dialogue-heavy, and it's quite a challenge to negate that from a mono mix. So this is about half or less the score, the rest is only heard under noise.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Joe Hisashi's entire series of Miyazaki scores

Those Hisashi scores are almost as wondrous as the films themselves, and are a big part of the Ghibli feel and magic.

A Pál utcai Fiúk/The Boys of Paul Street (1969)

A bit of a cheat, since it was shot in English and dubbed back into Hungarian.

A war movie about kids fighting over a playground. There's one proper score bit, about 3 minutes, for the youngest kid having fever dreams from pneumonia, but it's dialled very low and under foley and dialogue. Apart from that, it's mostly this kinda-source from a portable street piano that the kid both likes and is afraid of, signifying key moments or inevitable events washing over them, and I ripped practically all of that here. The haunting waltz is engraved in everyone's head since this is a movie everyone here has seen at least once.

I've already shared this once, but redone it from the newly restored DVD - I never heard those 11 opening seconds before on any previous TV broadcast or DVD rip!

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Those Hisashi scores are almost as wondrous as the films themselves, and are a big part of the Ghibli feel and magic.

Absolutely

This seems like the right thread for this: the Győr Philharmonic (Morricone took them on a world tour or two, pretty good) will do an Italian Film Music concert next month. Morricone, Nino Rota, Nicola Piovani, a projector will be involved somehow, conducted by Claudio Vandelli. I might go, since I had to give up on the Budapest STAR WARS LtP next week.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:15 PM, Holko said:

Start with Storia di una Donna!

It's actually mostly English-language! (being a US-Italian co-production).

I could obviously start with my own neck of the woods. So many great Norwegian and Nordic films, scores and composers -- but again, I wouldn't really know where to start or stop.

OK, a few select composers off the top of my head:

Great Swedes -- Stefan Nilsson, Johan Söderqvist, Björn Isfält, Waveshaper, Robert Parker, Matti Bye, Uno Helmersson

Great Danes -- DeSync, Joachim Holbæk, Per Nørgaard, Søren Hyldgaard, Bent Fabricius-Bjerre

Great Finns -- Pessi Levanto, Ansi Tikanmäki, Panu Aaltio

Great Icelanders -- Atli Örvarsson, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Olafur Arnalds, Hildur Gudnadottir

Great Norwegians -- Gunnar Sønstevold, Egil Monn-Iversen, Geir Bøhren & Bent Åserud, Ragnar Bjerkreim, Gaute Storaas, Ginge, Magnus Beite, Henrik Skram, Knut Avenstroup Haugen, Trond Bjerknes

• 2 weeks later...

The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix (1975) is a classic Norwegian stop motion puppet film. It's the most seen film at Norwegian cinemas, and has a fun score by the Dane Bent Fabricius-Bjerre.

"Incidentally", the climactic car race is quite reminiscent of the pod race in TPM. :) Here's the trailer, in glorious Norwegian!

If I was pushed to choose my favourite score by Ennio Morricone, it would have to be his music for the 2005 Italian TV movie Cefalonia, starring Luca Zingaretti and Luisa Ranieri.  The main theme Dammi La Mano has an almost hymnal quality, building and building from a simple and quiet opening.  There are no skippable tracks at all on the album, with a great mix of beautiful romantic cues (including some magnificent trumpet playing, for example in Nell'isola, Soli), fine choral writing, references to the Italian national anthem and tense but very listenable action music for the battle scenes.

• 8 months later...
51 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's funny how the film starts with a couple of clueless US-Americans. :D

When I was in the US recently, after hearing I was from The Netherlands, a person said "Oh! I have a friend who's from Norway!"

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

When I was in the US recently, after hearing I was from The Netherlands, a person said "Oh! I have a friend who's from Norway!"

Haha! To their credit, both are awesome countries!

To many of these Trump supporters, who have never traveled abroad, Europe is similar to the USA with subdivisions into states. They don't get that our countries are sovereign... for the time being, until the EU forces upon its members a shared constitution.