The Poseidon Adventure vs. Earthquake vs. The Towering Inferno

Josh500

The Poseidon Adventure vs. Earthquake vs. The Towering Inferno   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite score?

• The Poseidon Adventure
    • Earthquake
    • The Towering Inferno
    • I don't know one, two, or all of these scores.

I voted for Poseidon. 

The main theme is just so good. Huge, menacing, epic, tragic.... John Williams wasn't kidding there. This piece makes one want to rethink life.

Towering Inferno. They are all three quite different from one another. He really established his gothic angst mode with Poseidon (the First Act Finale from Fiddler is a pre-echo). Earthquake's jazz funk feel gives it an appeal beyond his core work (maybe taking a tip form Herbie Hancock's score to Deathwish earlier that year). He reaches another level of maturity with Inferno, I feel. One really wishes that these three films could've been captured at the level of technology possible by Minority Report, War of the Worlds and Munich, where dynamic levels and the ability to discern subtleties of orchestration are everything. The underscore in the earlier films isn't that fun to listen to until it punches beyond the grain and distortion.

Earthquake.  Towering Inferno has the greatest title theme of the three but other than that it's not a score I listen to much at all.  The Earthquake OST is a fun and exciting listen to from start to finish.

THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE is the superior movie here. I have such strong nostalgic feelings for that film, having seen it on Swedish TV at my grandparents' place in the late 80s, and it's held up pretty good in more recent viewings too. Even though there are a few bits of the typical Irwin Allen "camp" here and there.

However, I've never been that fond of the score. A whole bunch of tenuto strings and low-register murmuring and rumbling. 

EARTHQUAKE is a disastrously (no pun intended) bad film, but the score is quite good. Both the funky bits and the suspense bits.

THE TOWERING INFERNO is a pretty good film (although not quite on the level of POSEIDON), but it does have the best score -- by FAR! More outrovert, open, thematic, with some great rhytmical tracks and plenty of latter-day Williamsisms (flute triplets, percussion exclamations).

If you operate with rather "loose" definitions of the disaster genre, you can include JAWS and BLACK SUNDAY in Williams' 70s disaster outings too, making it a total of 5.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

If you operate with rather "loose" definitions of the disaster genre, you can include JAWS and BLACK SUNDAY in Williams' 70s disaster outings too, making it a total of 5.

Probably easier if the earlier three don't have to compete with the above two... Black Sunday is an amazing quasi-minimalist work, esp. Nurse Dahlia, etc. and the first of the Matessino restorations where I was really floored by the sound quality. Its fugue connects it to the similar one from Jaws (and the military theme from CE3K) it's but a much darker, tauter score. I might put it above Towering even without a standout main title. I always love when JW does more with less, melodically speaking.

I think of these 3 disaster movies as somewhat of a trilogy. They all have the involvement of Irwin Allen in common, don't they? 

Kinda like the Oliver Stone trilogy, which is Born on the Fourth of, JFK, and Nixon.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I think of these 3 disaster movies as somewhat of a trilogy. They all have the involvement of Irwin Allen in common, don't they? 

Not EARTHQUAKE.

But he directed POSEIDON and produced TOWERING.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

But at least they're all Irwin Allen!

Why not include Jurassic Park then?There was a major disaster in the park! And why not include Saving Private Ryan then? The Normandy landing sure was disastrous for many of these soldiers! :sarcasm:

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Not EARTHQUAKE.

But he directed POSEIDON and produced TOWERING.

Ah OK.

That might explain why John Williams was credited at the opening of the movie in Earthquake, while he was not in the other two.

Somehow I'm getting the feeling that Irwin Allen was a tough SOB, who was full of himself. 😂 

Neat interview bit, Mike. Hadn't seen that before. Harris reminds me a lot of William Hartnell (the first Doctor Who), only an American version. Slightly full of himself (trying to make his career greater than it was; no doubt due to never being hired for the "big stuff"), theatrical mannerisms, a bit grouchy -- but ultimately loveable.

I'm a bad JWFan.  I've never seen any of these 3 movies, and haven't listened to these 3 scores that many times at all.

I remember seeing Earthquake on TV when I was a kid. That's it. I don't know the other two movie, either.

I think one of these days I might invite a few friends over, kick back with a few beers, and watch these movies. A disaster-themed movie night. Might be fun. They don't need to know that it's all about John Williams's musical scores for me.... 😂 

I consider THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE the first disaster film that is a blueprint for how they're made today, in terms of narrative structuring and "phases" (even though there are obviously earlier disaster films like AIRPORT or THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY etc), just as SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE is the first proper, serious superhero film. So I would recommend that if you're interested in the genre at all. Such a cornerstone.

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Why not include Jurassic Park then?There was a major disaster in the park! And why not include Saving Private Ryan then? The Normandy landing sure was disastrous for many of these soldiers! :sarcasm:

Why not add Far and Away then? The movie is a disaster scored by John Williams as well.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I consider THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE the first disaster film that is a blueprint for how they're made today, in terms of narrative structuring and "phases" (even though there are obviously earlier disaster films like AIRPORT or THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY etc), just as SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE is the first proper, serious superhero film. So I would recommend that if you're interested in the genre at all. Such a cornerstone.

It's not like Poseidon invented the disaster genre! When Poseidon was made, wasn't the disaster movie genre pretty well established? 

They work best as selections. As far as I recall, Rogo Takes Charge and End Title from Poseidon, Main Title and The City Sleeps from Quake and Main Title, Planting the Charges and Architect's Dream from Tower are the highlights.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Neat interview bit, Mike. Hadn't seen that before. Harris reminds me a lot of William Hartnell (the first Doctor Who), only an American version. Slightly full of himself (trying to make his career greater than it was; no doubt due to never being hired for the "big stuff"), theatrical mannerisms, a bit grouchy -- but ultimately loveable.

He's your grouchy grandad...or, maybe, your funny uncle...

Anybody here gonna mention the love theme from Earthquake!? That's one of the best pre-Jaws love themes from JW! 

I'm starting to think that most people here don't even own Earthquake. Am I right? 😂 

9 hours ago, Josh500 said:

It's not like Poseidon invented the disaster genre! When Poseidon was made, wasn't the disaster movie genre pretty well established? 

Yes, I just said so in my post.

But it's the first film that established the narrative structure (what I call "The Five Phases") and 'spectacle'-oriented approach we see in films today (Emmerich etc.). Previous films in the genre -- up to and including AIRPORT -- were rather different beasts, for a variety of reasons.

You could say it invented the contemporary-style disaster film.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm a bad JWFan.  I've never seen any of these 3 movies, and haven't listened to these 3 scores that many times at all.

Now I don't feel bad for not watching War Horse, Tintin or BFG! But I haven't really gone near the scores either. Old and fussy JWFanner.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

War Horse is a great score, check it out

And Tintin is not a great score? 

2 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

Now I don't feel bad for not watching War Horse, Tintin or BFG! But I haven't really gone near the scores either. Old and fussy JWFanner.

You really should feel bad for not watching War Horse and Tintin! 

The BFG, I can understand. I haven't seen that, either.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm too young for that, but I've had the Varese CD since the late 90s.

Bought it when it came out?