What's Your Favorite Setting of the "Double Trouble" Theme?

Disco Stu

Williams gets a lot of mileage out of the "Double Trouble" theme from Prisoner of Azkaban, with LOTS of different settings/arrangements.

Do you have a favorite?

Mine has always been the "Secrets of the Castle" version arranged for harp and celeste.

But there are so many great ones.

The super off-kilter arrangement with recorders and harpsichord for "The Portrait Gallery" is another favorite.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The one when the kids walk over the hill to Hagrid's class is really cool

Is that the version found on the "Hagrid the Professor" track?  Been a while since I watched the movie.

This has to be number one! 

This, and Secrets of the Castle, which is wonderfully spooky and atmospheric. 

And this is awesome too! The melancholy, distant, echoey version....

Here's everywhere the melody appears

• Teaser Trailer[Unreleased] - A cooler version of the song than the one used in the final film (IMO)
  • 2M3 The Train to Hogwarts Version I - [Unreleased] - Really cool, very short moody cue establishing the train station after Arthuer Weasley's warning.  You can "feel" the rainy atmosphere in the music, with the Double Trouble melody slowly hinted at before appearing in full on harpsicord right at the end.  Very neat little cue.
  • 2M3 The Train to Hogwarts Version II - [Unreleased] - Similar, but the Double Trouble melody is used right at the start in full, and the harpichord at the end is subdued instead of out in front.  Same general atmosphere as Version I, but I like Version I better
  • 2M5 Something Wicked Intro [Unreleased]- Super cool little 10 second cue that leads into the second half of the song since the film dropped the first half of the song.  
  • Double Trouble {actual name unknown} - [OST 05 "Double Trouble"] - The full song.  The film added frog croaking which I kinda like.  Also really the start of the medieval sounding cues in the score - everything prior to this was sort of each in a different style of music (from the Hedwig's opening to the waltz for marge to the cacophany for the Knight Bus to Arthur Weasley's talk about Black to the Dementor music, etc)
  • 2M6 Dumbledore's Warning - [Unreleased] - Moody, spooky music for Dumbledore's warning gives way to a nice warming variant of Double Trouble.  Should have been on the OST!  As the kids leave for their dorms, another neat variant is heard.
  • 2M8 Double Trouble March - [Unreleased] - AWESOME harpsichord intro gives way to a nice playthrough of the theme.  I forget what scene this is (is it after the Fat Lady lets them into Gryffindor's dorm?)
  • 2M9+10 Rainy Nights, Dementors, and Birds - [OST 09B "Secrets of the Castle" {1:30-end}] - Another short, moody variant as the camera pans from the kids eating candy to the dementors outside.  The bulk of the cue is the cool flute passage for the bird flying into the Whomping Willow though
  • 3M1+2 Double Trouble on the Hill - [OST 11B "Hagrid The Professor" {0:30-end}] - The neat, super-medieval long-form exploration of the Double Trouble melody as the kids walk to Hagrid's class.  Complete with the B section of the full melody, which isn't used much outside the full song.
  • 3MC Befriending the Hippogriff - [Unreleased] - Neat iteration as Harry walks up to Buckbeak and befriends him
  • 3M11 The Portrait Scene - [OST 10 "The Portrait Gallery"] - Funny, whimsical version for the portraits freaking out after Sirius's break-in attempt.  So much fun!  I love the urgent version in the second half of the cue.
  • 3M12 The Great Hall Ceiling- [OST 09A "Secrets of the Castle" {0:00-1:30}] - Lovely lullaby version as Snape and Dumbledore talk in the Great Hall while the kids are (supposed to be) asleep.
  • 4M2 Quidditch 2004 - [OST 13 "Quidditch, Third Year"] - The Double Trouble melody cameos here, from 1:08-1:12 or so.  I can't even remember what is happening on screen then or why he snuck it in here.
  • End Credits Insert {actual name unknown}- [Unreleased] - The lovely opening of the end credits used in the film but not on the album.  It's a great introduction to the end credits roll, and I'm glad it can be ripped clean from the DVD!
  • 7M12 End Credits - [OST 21 "Mischief Managed" {0:36-4:08}] - The lovely concert arrangement of the Double Trouble theme and the Past theme.  Great end credits work here!

Looking at that list, it's surprising to remember how many iterations aren't on the OST!  Really only half of them are on the OST, half unreleased.  All the longest ones are on the OST and the shortest ones are unreleased pretty much, but some of those short ones are so cool!

How to boost suicide rates around Black Friday: the Thread.

How do you know Train to Hogwarts versions, Jay? Leaked scores again or have you been in cahoots with the MM gang again and know something?

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

How do you know Train to Hogwarts versions, Jay? Leaked scores again or have you been in cahoots with the MM gang again and know something?

The sheet music leak has both versions in it.  Version I was used in the film, and a talented JWFan member made a synth mockup of Version II

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Nice deflection!

You edited that question into your post after I posted my followup post

Not two versions!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

You edited that question into your post after I posted my followup post

Nope, it was a minute or two before, the site just doesn't show changes until you refresh the page.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

sheet music leak

:crymore:

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Isn't it also just... in the movie?  Right at the beginning of this video?

That's Version I.

Incidentally, at the end of that video, you can hear "Something Wicked Intro" in its entirety.

Here's the version of the song from the teaser trailer

I always liked it more than the film/album version

And here's a video with "Dumbledore's Warning" and "Double Trouble March" in it

1 hour ago, Jay said:

4M2 Quidditch 2004 - [OST 13 "Quidditch, Third Year"] - The Double Trouble melody cameos here, from 1:08-1:12 or so.  I can't even remember what is happening on screen then or why he snuck it in here.

This was actually edited out in the film.

Not an essential rendition but I always felt like this was one last hint of it as they head down to Hagrid’s.

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

I pondered today whether Azkaban's praise mostly comes from the fact that it's not really available.

It doesn't.

If/when it finally comes, fairly confident it’s just going to be praised even more, like what happened with HP1 (and AI, TLW etc)

36 minutes ago, Holko said:

I pondered today whether Azkaban's praise mostly comes from the fact that it's not really available.

Not really available?  The OST has never gone out of print and used copies are available for $1.50 on Amazon.  The OST also covers all the major highlights, the remaining unreleased music isn't as important as what was missing from the other 2 Potter scores, or stuff like AI, Lost World, etc.

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Once The Lost World happened it certainly became the most needed Williams expansion.

Absolutely!

I wonder what will be the next biggest request if Potter 3 ever comes out.  I guess the Star Wars Sequel trilogy, or Tintin?

20 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

This was actually edited out in the film.

Ah, ok!  I wonder what it WOULD have represented?

Not an essential rendition but I always felt like this was one last hint of it as they head down to Hagrid’s.

What timestamp are you talking about?

If/when it finally comes, fairly confident it’s just going to be praised even more, like what happened with HP1 (and AI, TLW etc)

I think so.  I was blown away when I heard the first complete score edit made from DVD rips and more importantly, mockups of the unused music.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

What timestamp are you talking about?

Should be where I linked, 17 seconds. It’s just those three notes but it’s that medieval color again and I always imagined the oboes going “Douuuuu-uble” with the flutes answering. Feels like a tiny reference to DT.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not really available?  The OST has never gone out of print and used copies are available for $1.50 on Amazon.

Oh come on, you know exactly what I mean.

Why are you ignoring the rest of what I said?

The OST also covers all the major highlights, the remaining unreleased music isn't as important as what was missing from the other 2 Potter scores, or stuff like AI, Lost World, etc.

Well anyway, I don't think Azkaban complete is highly desired just because it has a lot of unreleased (and unleaked) music.  I think it's highly desired because it's a DAMN good score!

The LLL Lost World wasn't just amazing because of unreleased highlights, but because the score was a revelation specifically when presented C&C.  I think this will be true for Azkaban as well.

Yea The Lost World is special that every single cue is great and you never want to skip past any of them.  Azkaban is basically the same way.

Ditto for Harry Potter 1, that session leak was incredible.  That C&C score is a long but extremely satisfying listening experience.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder what will be the next biggest request if Potter 3 ever comes out.  I guess the Star Wars Sequel trilogy, or Tintin?

MV: Jason, edit that comment! Insert 'ever' or fans will find out!

JL: Oh, I'm sorry. I'll change that as fast as I can.

MV: That was pretty close. Dammit, Jason!

JL: As I just said, I'm sorry.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

Lock this until we actually have all of them!

Yeah, I like the mysterious one right after Dumbledore's speech.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Once The Lost World happened it certainly became the most needed Williams expansion.

No that was the E.T. Adventure.

YouTube is down globally.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

MV: Jason, edit that comment! Insert 'ever' or fans will find out!

JL: Oh, I'm sorry. I'll change that as fast as I can.

MV: That was pretty close. Dammit, Jason!

JL: As I just said, I'm sorry.

Huh? Maybe I'm being dense but I don't get this.

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

Yeah, can I just say...all of them? 😝

I will say that both versions of the short train cue are flippin' incredible. And I love literally every statement of the theme written for the end credits.

There's only one problem: I predict unpleasantly much John Williams meddling due to the loads of very short cues.