So is your favourite composer of film scores actually John Williams?

Josh500

So who is your favourite composer of film scores?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. So who is your favourite composer of film scores?

• John Williams
    • Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
    • Danny Elfman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • John Barry
    • Bernard Herrmann
    • David Arnold
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Maurice Jarre
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Miklós Rózsa
    • Elliot Goldenthal
    • Marc Shaiman
    • Dave Grusin
    • Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    • Alfred Newman
    • Max Steiner
    • Franz Waxman
    • James Newton Howard
    • Ennio Morricone
    • John Powell
    • Other.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Why would we need another favourite composer thread?

We don't need anything!

And who's "we"? You and your mom? 😂 

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

As I've posted before; John Williams is not only my favourite composer of film music, he is my favourite composer of any kind of music.

Nuff said.

I grew up listening to the music of John Williams (starting with Jurassic Park), patiently awaiting the release of each new OST album and expanded edition. Cannot say that of any other musician or composer.

So yeah, same here.

46 minutes ago, Richard said:

As I've posted before; John Williams is not only my favourite composer of film music, he is my favourite composer of any kind of music.

Nuff said.

Same here.

It stands to reason that JW will win here.

But my interest lies in finding out who else is popular, besides JW. And why.

12 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I made the same thread just a few months ago.:sarcasm:

So? 

Just now, Romão said:

Waxman 

Really?

Are you just saying that to be cool, or do you really dig him that much? ;) If the latter, how many OST albums and expanded albums from Waxman do you own? 

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

I really don't have *one* favourite but favourites for different occasions. At gunpoint i would choose Goldsmith, but only because he has by far the most varied output.

You can't go wrong with Goldsmith! 

I own around 80 JG soundtracks so far. I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Nuff said.

Same

17 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Williams is my favorite, but the omission of Rozsa from the poll is an outrage.

Okay, okay! Added.

Screw Rachel Portman! 😂 

Never saw the other thread. Funny how it's almost identical. Had the exact same thought, apparently. 

Oh well.

31 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm utterly confused. 

Are you "utterly confused," now? 

Poor boy. You won't get far in life if this confuses you. 😂

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

i don't have a definitive favourite, but if it's someone with a larger body of work that I enjoy more than most others, it would be JNH.

Which scores do you like from JNH?

My two favourite are The Fugitive and the theme from ER! 

Ops, I accidentally voted on Waxman, it should be "other" - North, but I can not change my vote. Followed by Takemitsu.

They had chops and imagination beyond everyone else.

For me it's ultimately a toss-up between John Williams and John Powell. John Williams has the better compositional technique, honed by hours upon hours of experience, but I feel like John Powell has the greater raw talent, and his compositional technique is only increasing with time. 

I cant't vote because there is no hansu option. I like it simple not more than three chords loud and  if it is a romance then more loud and four chords  we ca find from the extras dvd  'I' m next Mozart' by the slimey

On March 25, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Josh500 said:

Dear God. You're just a useless spammer, aren't you? If I could block you, I would. Do you have anything to contribute to this thread?

On March 25, 2018 at 3:50 PM, John said:

At the rate you're making useless threads, you should be finished in a week or so.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Are you "utterly confused," now? 

Poor boy. You won't get far in life if this confuses you.

Good god Josh. How you scorned me. And now...? This thread is nothing more than an oversight requiring merging. If you really want to know if people like John Williams look around you bud. It's JW Fan, the answer is right in front of you already.

Not to stoke any pre-extinguished hostility, but I don't suppose you'll get far in life dismissing people in such a manner.

:mellow:

I repeat myself, but I don't particularly "love" movie scores.

I love John Williams, because when I was a teen, I realized that pretty much all the movies I loved since my childhood... where movies with a score by John Williams.

Star Wars, E.T., Indiana Jones, etc.

Then I discovered that his music was really "something", and wanted to discover some of his scores written for movies I never saw before.

Finally, I fell in love with his style of writing, his rigour, his personality.

32 minutes ago, Loert said:

For me it's ultimately a toss-up between John Williams and John Powell. John Williams has the better compositional technique, honed by hours upon hours of experience, but I feel like John Powell has the greater raw talent, and his compositional technique is only increasing with time. 

Powell is one of those composers who seems to have notes falling out of his sleeves onto the paper.  Williams is similar but it starts to impress less the more one hears it - and the less it seems to vary - and it's entirely possible the same will happen with Powell after some more decades.

Just now, Bespin said:

...because when I was a teen, I realized that pretty much all the movies I loved since my childhood... where movies with a score by John Williams.

Ah yes. The teenage years of Bespin. 

Before the dark times...before the discography.

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Ah yes. The teenage years of Bespin. 

Before the dark times...before the discography.

Exactly!

JW is my favourite, that will never change, although Goldsmith is a very very close second. Objectively, I don't really think there is a difference between the two in terms of quality and enjoyability, but there is something about JW that gives him the edge. Most likely this is due to his association with Spielberg, his knack of firing out a whole load of iconic themes during his golden era, and the nostalgia associated with them.

My top 5 have remained unchanged for years

1 Williams

2 Goldsmith

3 Horner

4 Barry

5 Herrmann

Imagine how different things would be if Goldsmith scored Jaws and Star Wars and became Spielberg's resident composer. I can imagine Goldsmith telling an anecdote at concerts:

"After my first viewing of Schindler's List, I went for a walk around the campus to gather my thoughts and came back to Steven and said you'll need someone better than me for this score. Steven said, 'No problem, have you the number of that John Williams fellow. I'll give him a call'."

5 hours ago, Score said:

@Josh500 , where is Morricone???

Added.

3 hours ago, Damien F said:

JW is my favourite, that will never change, although Goldsmith is a very very close second. Objectively, I don't really think there is a difference between the two in terms of quality and enjoyability, but there is something about JW that gives him the edge. Most likely this is due to his association with Spielberg, his knack of firing out a whole load of iconic themes during his golden era, and the nostalgia associated with them.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this. 

Both are great composers, but IMO JW scores are not only more complex and technically superior, they are far deeper and more impactful, as well. JG, while a great composer in his own right, doesn't come close.

IMO, of course. :)

3 hours ago, Damien F said:

Objectively, I don't really think there is a difference between the two in terms of quality and enjoyability, but there is something about JW that gives him the edge. Most likely this is due to his association with Spielberg, his knack of firing out a whole load of iconic themes during his golden era, and the nostalgia associated with them.

Actually, I think it is the ability that Williams has to write music that better lives on its own, apart from the film.  Which is the essence of music, really.

But, in pure terms of service to the film, I must concur that Williams and Goldsmith are neck and neck.