So is your favourite composer of film scores actually John Williams?

Josh500

So who is your favourite composer of film scores?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. So who is your favourite composer of film scores?

• John Williams
    • Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
    • Danny Elfman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • John Barry
    • Bernard Herrmann
    • David Arnold
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Maurice Jarre
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Miklós Rózsa
    • Elliot Goldenthal
    • Marc Shaiman
    • Dave Grusin
    • Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    • Alfred Newman
    • Max Steiner
    • Franz Waxman
    • James Newton Howard
    • Ennio Morricone
    • John Powell
    • Other.

3 hours ago, Damien F said:

"After my first viewing of Schindler's List, I went for a walk around the campus to gather my thoughts and came back to Steven and said you'll need someone better than me for this score. Steven said, 'No problem, have you the number of that John Williams fellow. I'll give him a call'."

Spielberg is generally considered the best living movie director today. I think it's no coincidence that he has John Williams score so many of his movies. JW was and still is, simply, the best film composer available. 

4 hours ago, Loert said:

For me it's ultimately a toss-up between John Williams and John Powell. John Williams has the better compositional technique, honed by hours upon hours of experience, but I feel like John Powell has the greater raw talent, and his compositional technique is only increasing with time. 

Which are some of your favourite John Powell scores?

Besides Williams I'm a great fan of Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland, George Gershwin, Kevin Puts, Michael Torke and John Adams... All Americans, now that I look at it. 

Of my very own home country, I love both the jazz and classical work of António Pinho Vargas and I've been discovering the work of Luís Tinoco.

Film music wise, I love the guys from the old days of Hollywood: Korngold, Waxman, Herrmann...

23 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I couldn't disagree with you more on this. 

Both are great composers, but IMO JW scores are not only more complex and technically superior, they are far deeper and more impactful, as well. JG, while a great composer in his own right, doesn't come close.

IMO, of course. :)

...and it's wrong.

23 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Spielberg is generally considered the best living movie director today.

What? No!

8 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Besides Williams I'm a great fan of Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland, George Gershwin, Kevin Puts, Michael Torke and John Adams... 

So which soundtracks specifically do you own? And which are your favourites? :)

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

So which soundtracks specifically do you own? And which are your favourites? :)

Outside Williams's soundtracks, can't remember the last one I bought by another composer -- actually I can, it was Solo, but then again, it was because of Williams involvement. 

Most likely was something from a golden age composer. 

But I do have a large selection of soundtracks on my collection, thought very few by the younger generation of composers.

I've only heard of 9 people on that list.  The only film scores I listen to are Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter (the first 3), and the Lord of the Rings franchises.  And I have a collection of William's greatest hits.

10 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Outside Williams's soundtracks, can't remember the last one I bought by another composer -- actually I can, it was Solo, but then again, it was because of Williams involvement. 

Most likely was something from a golden age composer. 

But I do have a large selection of soundtracks on my collection, thought very few by the younger generation of composers.

I meant from the composers you mentioned above.

21 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Besides Williams I'm a great fan of Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland, George Gershwin, Kevin Puts, Michael Torke and John Adams... 

Film music wise, I love the guys from the old days of Hollywood: Korngold, Waxman, Herrmann...

Should’ve been more but I guess a lot of people didn’t vote, my self includef, because it’s such an obviously biased question, but whatever. Some good comments emerged from the people answered ’no’ to the topic at hand as well as about the missing composers on the list.

Might’ve been even more fruitful if @Josh500 didn’t create such a hostile environment in his threads.

Thanks for the laugh. 

I was lucky enough to find Johnny Williams at a young age. About 4. And I had my first soundtrack at a young age as well. Again about 4. My mom sensed my love of film music so over the years we had many soundtrack LP. The greatest day as a teenager was coming home from the 9th grade and laying on my bed were three soundtracks. Airport 1975, Earthquake, and the Towering Inferno. My mom rocked.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Williams gets 20% more votes here. I think, it's because of the different subforum. Forget what I said, @Josh500. That is actually a pretty funny experiment. There seem to be a few people who do mainly visit just one subforum.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Should’ve been more but I guess a lot of people didn’t vote, my self includef, because it’s such an obviously biased question, but whatever. Some good comments emerged from the people answered ’no’ to the topic at hand as well as about the missing composers on the list.

Might’ve been even more fruitful if @Josh500 didn’t create such a hostile environment in his threads.

Rocket science!!!!!! 

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Williams gets 20% more votes here. I think, it's because of the different subforum. Forget what I said, @Josh500. That is actually a pretty funny experiment. There seem to be a few people who do mainly visit just one subforum.

I refuse to vote because I already have elsewhere. That's the idea.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

The greatest day as a teenager was coming home from the 9th grade and laying on my bed were three soundtracks. Airport 1975, Earthquake, and the Towering Inferno. 

Hmmm.

I'm getting really curious about the Airport soundtrack. Not sure I like it so far, but it's not bad at all. But this is a disaster movie, right? The main theme actually sounds like it's from a light-hearted comedy or something. No sign or foreshadowing of the disaster.... Or am I missing something?

Oh, I just saw you were talking about the sequel. I think I like this title theme better. At least, at first listen.

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Hmmm.

I'm getting really curious about the Airport soundtrack. Not sure I like it so far, but it's not bad at all. But this is a disaster movie, right? The main theme actually sounds like it's from a light-hearted comedy or something. No sign or foreshadowing of the disaster.... Or am I missing something?

Josh. I got John Cavacas' Airport 1975. Airport came out in 1970. My mom had an LP with its theme

2 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Josh. I got John Cavacas' Airport 1975. Airport came out in 1970. My mom had an LP with its theme

I just saw it. Edited my post.

Unfortunately, air disaster movies are a genre JW hasn't dabbled in so far.

The plane crash in ToD is probably the closest thing, and he scored it truly magnificently! I still think this entire sequence starting from "Indy Negotiates" is JW at the very top of his game. 

On 10/19/2018 at 11:53 AM, Josh500 said:

I meant from the composers you mentioned above.

Leonard Bernstein only wrote one film score, and I have the Intrada release of that one. Copland did write a few of them... I have a couple of compilations of his film music, plus several recordings of his concert suites based on his film material, and I believe, two original soundtrack recordings. Gerswhin did spend his last year working in Hollywood, and John Mauceri's "The Gerswhins in Hollywood" remains being one of my favorite albums ever.

I don't think that Kevin Puts, Michael Torke or John Adams ever wrote for film.

From the golden age composers, I have too many to start mentioning them now.

Portuguese composer António Pinho Vargas did write some film music, but I've never been able to get it.

On 10/19/2018 at 3:05 PM, Norma's Corpse said:

Michael Giacchino writes better Star Wars and Jurassic Park music. Don't be shy in admitting it, people!

I'll give you the latter. The former, I don't know, I don't give a shit what makes good Star Wars music.