John

Hans Zimmer and Harold Faltermeyer‘s TOP GUN: MAVERICK (2020)

Hans Zimmer & Harold Faltermeyer to score ‘Top Gun: Maverick’.

Tom Cruise revealed in a video message at this yesterday’s Hollywood in Vienna concert that Hans Zimmer will be scoring the upcoming action drama Top Gun: Maverick. Hans-Zimmer.com has confirmed that the composer will be collaborating with Harold Faltermeyer, who composed the music for Tony Scott’s 1986 original film. Cruise has previously mentioned that Faltermeyer’s music will be featured in the sequel. Top Gun: Maverick is directed by Joseph Kosinski (Oblivion, Tron Legacy) and stars Cruise, alongside Miles Teller, Val Kilmer, Jon Hamm, Ed Harris, Jennifer Connelly, Glen Powell, Lewis Pullman, Charles Parnell, Jay Ellis, Bashir Salahuddin, Danny Ramirez and Monica Barbaro. Peter Craig (The Town), Justin Marks (The Jungle Book) and Eric Warren Singer (American Gustle) wrote the screenplay. Cruise is also producing the project with Jerry Bruckheimer (Pirates of the Caribbean, Armageddon) and David Ellison (Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation). Zimmer has previously scored the Cruise-produced Mission: Impossible II and The Last Samurai, as well as numerous movies produced by Bruckheimer, including the Cruise-starring Days of Thunder. The sequel is set to be released on June 26, 2020 by Paramount Pictures.

39 minutes ago, Richard said:

As long as I don't hear THE SUN AIN'T GONNA SHINE ANYMORE, I'll be happy.

What about playing with the boys?

Sounds like a perfect collaboration to me, although I wouldn't have objected to Faltermeyer doing it solo either.

At least we'll finally get a TOP GUN score release, even if it isn't the original we all crave. Hopefully, anyway.

There would probably have been no Zimmer without Faltermeyer. TOP GUN is really the prototype of the type of power anthems Zimmer would perfect about a decade later.