DRACULA - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition Produced by Mike Matessino

Romão

I wonder what it's like to finally open the crate where it says "Dracula masters"

Back to the music :there's this amazing passage I never heard before before the love theme

Sound quality is  a huge leap over the OST .Everything in the OST sounds distorted by comparison

The suite is brilliant, can't wait to buy this set! Thank you, Erik!

So how's that packaging? The 2-disc jewel case will probably have the short booklet, then a cardboard sleeve will hold it and the 36-page book like with the 2017 Sgt. Pepper remaster?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The story of how the tapes were found will be available to listen to online sometime soon. Stay tuned!

In fact they were in my basement, sorry for that. The LP restoration thing was just a diversion!

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I can't believe the sound quality and the stream is only 160kbps. It's like I'm listening to a brand new score

The OST CD really doesn't do this score justice at all. It just sounds bad.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The OST CD really doesn't do this score justice at all. It just sounds bad.

We'll pretend it never came out.  You listened to my LP restoration, yes?

It gives an idea of how Dracula OST "should" sound.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, but when you play it backwards you hear Bes humming Aznavour's greatest hits...

I'm jealous, someone on FB in a JOhn Williams group just wrote that he currently listening to the new Varese Dracula set.

Fuck, they only start shipping november 5.

I don't have the right friends it seem.

🤔

Just now, Jay said:

Varese has sent promos out to review sites, radio shows etc. It's a download that is just the music, no artwork.

This is what I said, I don't have the right friends!!!!

🙄

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I thought it's you who doesn't like him. :)

I don't ever remember why we don't like each other!

🤔

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I don't ever remember why we don't like each other!

🤔

Thor has a Hammer,

and some others have Sex Toys... 😍🤗

Sorry i am jocking

I hope to recieve my copy quickly....

The last LalaLand edition took one month to get to France,

and the previous Varese Edition was lost by the mail facility (Varese sent me another one). 

6 minutes ago, aescalle said:

Did you already listen the Cinematic Sound Radio Podcast,

previewing the DRACULA's score?

6 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

Geez... I have a doutb this morning (1st coffee only taken) while updating my discography...

So Dracula OST... that's still not a re-recording?

They included the original album in the new set, just because of JW's original intended edits and maybe use of some alt tracks... yeah?

NOOOOOO.

No I saw a previous breakdown, on this thread... the OST is just an edited version of the score. 

Forget what I said.

Dracula is not a re-recording.

(I took my 2nd coffee)

Now i'm surehehe

I see...

then we'll have to see if Disk 2 sounds better than Disk 1 (different sources). If Disk 2 sounds better we might have to switch out some tracks for an optimal complete score

Interesting that the film score and OST came from different sources, but MM recreated the OST track For Mina in the C&C presentation (despite containing two cues out of chronological order). 

Must have been a Williams request. 

Very clear, thanks!

Happy to read that the OST on the 2nd disc is not a LP transfer at all! It's wonderfull.

So finally, thanks to Universal for having different "subsidiaries" all over the world and for keeping their old tapes!

It remembers me that when we looked few month ago for some very rare tapes of Charles Aznavour... well, we found them in the archives of a record company in Japan!

Happy ending!

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Dracula OST is not and never was a re recording. It is entirely made up of music intended to be heard in the film. Sometimes, a cue got rewritten, or altered in some way, so some music you hear on the album cannot be heard in the film, so people just got confused I guess.

At the London chat on Friday, Mike indicated that the proper stereo source used to make disc one didn't have some of the alternates takes used on the original OST, so he was unable to rebuild the OST from that element. Instead, he tracked down the original 1979 album master held by Universal Music UK used to make the British pressing of the OST LP in 1979, and used that for disc 2.

Did Mike say why the alternates were used for the OST? I guess it was either because the film takes were recorded after the assembly of the OST, or because JW preferred the alternates for the OST.

The old post I made quoted on page 2 of this thread already says the only two of any importance: the extra choir heard in Night Journeys, and the extra low end heard in the opening track. Maybe beyond those two, some TAKES somewhere are different too, but any differences would be negligible.

I wasn't sure where else to post this as it is not interesting enough to merit its own thread, but I spotted Varese Sarabande's chief cook and bottle washer Robert Townson at the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in concert at the Royal Albert Hall on Wednesday evening and again the following evening at Brian Tyler's concert at the Royal Festival Hall.

I should have asked him if / when he would be bankrolling expanded editions of Earthquake and The Eiger Sanction, but he probably would have thought I was stalking him so I thought better of it.

I met him at an after-party in Justin Freer's dressing room after the Azkaban concert Wednesday. I didn't bug him about any potential future releases, just thanked him for Dracula and everything else he's done for the film music industry. Well, we talked about more than that, but it wasn't related to any specific titles.