DRACULA - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition Produced by Mike Matessino

Romão

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

There’s always sometimg different in the expanded releases art.... less teeth....  now less clothes...

Do you think they will make amends and do another pressing of the Dracula and add a bit of gown to cover up the bosom to make up for their transgression? After all LLL did restore the T-Rex teeth for the JP box for the later pressing of the release.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Were the teeth missing?

What? You do not remember the "Teeth-gate" which was close to plunging JWFan.com to civil strife and agony back when the JP box came out?

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

What? You do not remember the "Teeth-gate" which was close to plunging JWFan.com to civil strife and agony back when the JP box came out?

I was not actively contributing at the forum at the time - only lurking. Was it on the cover JP logo?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was not actively contributing at the forum at the time - only lurking. Was it on the cover JP logo?

The JP booklet cover was missing its teeth. Which LLL fixed for the later pressing of the box.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I fixed that!

Single-handedly! That is some fan dedication!

I think my toothless version is going to be worth more

Back to Dracula. That bit that sounds like romantic golden age music before the Love Theme ...is that unused music? don't remember ever hearing it

Finally had a chance to listen to the digital promo (I wanted to hear the OST first, which is what I'm on now). Sounds good, although there's no "oh my God, this is sooo much better than the original album" sentiment. A bit "cleaner", perhaps, but nothing outright remarkable in comparison, if you ask me. I'll do the film score afterwards, and compare.

You know @Thor, if I was you, I would maybe refrain from making this kind of comments about the audio quality of recordings.

You may be more deaf than you think, seriously. 

But after all, it's only a reputation concern.  Do what you want finally!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

That's right.

But sampling the film score/disc 1, that sounds considerably superior in terms of sonics. Shame the source material wasn't as good on the LP programme.

Thor, do you know what source material was used for the album? I’m presuming it’s different to the films score? Thanks. 

26 minutes ago, davefg said:

Thor, do you know what source material was used for the album? I’m presuming it’s different to the films score? Thanks. 

Unfortunately, the liner notes are not included in the promo package. I'm sure we'll get to know all the "dirty details" soon.

3 hours ago, Falafel said:

I assume that is the title of the Liner Note essay?

Yup. Nocturne - John Williams and Dracula as it says below the title.

Oh and that packaging looks absolutely stunning. Lovely to see such effort put to all aspects of this release. :) 

It was a funny quip from Mike during the London talk when he said he had had to keep pretending for quite a while that the Dracula tapes were still missing while working on this release to keep it all a surprise. :P 

If only Jane Eyre was actually just missing :(

With Dracula recovered and all the Star Wars scores now digitised, the most significant missing material would have to be the "lost" Hook tapes now. If anyone's going to find those, it's Mike.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Disney have digitised the entirety of SW 1-6

The status of the film mix of the Lapti Nek, Max Rebo Band and the Jabba The Hutt concert piece bunch haven't been officially confirmed AFAIK. Jabba was used on the OST demaster, but technically it could have been lifted from the appropriate segment of the album masters.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

The status of the film mix of the Lapti Nek, Max Rebo Band and the Jabba The Hutt concert piece bunch haven't been officially confirmed AFAIK. Jabba was used on the OST demaster, but technically it could have been lifted from the appropriate segment of the album masters. 

I'd be interested in seeing a spectogram comparison of the Sony 2016 version of that track (sourced via new scans of the OST masters) and the 2018 Disney version of the track (which should've been sourced from the film mix tapes). If we can confirm it's a different source/scan, that would indicate the tapes were located. If the spectogram is 1-1 identical, it's a sure-bet the tapes weren't found.

How exactly did it become common knowledge that these particular recordings were missing, anyway? Is there any more weight to that than the fact the OT masters were apparently missing/lost in the salt mines? Murphy himself claimed that as recently as 2016 but they've since been found.

I don't know the original source, but they definitely were missing at one time because the 1997 SE would surely have included the Jabba piece at least in they weren't. As long as we don't have a comparison of the completely lossless bitperfect 2016 and 2018 releases (and if it was recycled from the 2016 one, it still could be mastered a bit differently, causing differences between the two), we have no sure way to know they were found until they are released, unless I forgot something.

Well, to the audiophiles, do they sound different?

There's lots of other tracks that are noticeably different between the two releases. A spectogram would reveal greater detail.

A good reference from Wikipedia on the subject of unreleased ROTJ material:

Currently, several source cues and other material are unavailable. Many of these master tapes could not be located in time for the score's special edition release and are presumed lost. These tracks include:

1. Jabba the Hutt's Concert Suite - All but the final portion of this original recording, incorrectly edited onto the end of the cue "Han Solo Returns" on the Anthology, remains unreleased. (This same portion is heard on the Return of the Jedi DVD menu as well).
  2. Film Version of Lapti Nek (Original Source) - Several versions of this source cue written by John Williams' son Joseph are available. Currently available are the album version on the Anthology and an extended album version and an instrumental track released on an LP single. However, the film version has yet to be released.
  3. English Version of Lapti Nek (Sung by Joseph Williams) - This cue can be heard partially in From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga, but remains either lost or simply unreleased.
  4. Max Rebo Band Song (Sail Barge Dance) --Source Cue - This piece, performed by the resident musicians in Jabba's court (The Max Rebo Band) has never been released. It is heard after Chewbacca is taken away and also on Jabba's sail barge (hence its title). This cue can also be heard almost totally complete in From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga, but remains unreleased.
  5. Unknown Source Cue - this cue is not used in the film but is credited to Joseph Williams. Nothing more is known.
  6. Alternate Film Takes - Several cues such as "Superstructure Chase" are presented on the SE using incorrect and often flubbed takes.
  7. Battle For Endor Insert - This insert can be heard in the film when Chewbacca and the Ewoks use the AT-ST to blow up another AT-ST and is similar to a section from "The Forest Battle Concert Suite" but has never been released.
  8. Ewok Celebration (Film Version) - Two versions of this cue have been released, however, neither preserves the actual original recording used in the film.