DRACULA - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition Produced by Mike Matessino

Romão

Still, I took your "if you hate the Dracula theme, the complete score isn't for you" as an ominous warning! 

Again, I've never heard this score before in either form, so I have no bias of any sort myself.

Indeed, but I wanted to go in blind...or deaf in this case, I suppose. The Fury's one of my all-time favorites in the Williams catalog, so I'm excited to delve into its cousin. 

Though for the record, I do vastly prefer The Fury's OST (but am grateful and happy to have the LLL set anyway).

2 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Quick question: Is the OST assembly thoroughly different from the complete score?

Yes Jay told us that it's not always the same takes that where used for the OST edits.

That's why Mike Matessino was not able to reconstruct the OST from the complete score elements.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Yes Jay told us that it's not always the same takes that where used for the OST edits.

That's why Mike Matessino was not able to reconstruct the OST from the complete score elements.

So my old Varese OST still has value!

5 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Quick question: Is the OST assembly thoroughly different from the complete score?

I don't know how to answer this question.  It depends on what you really mean by "thoroughly different"; I'm not really sure how to interpret that.

The OST LP was 39 minutes and featured 2 versions of the same cue within it, is EXTREMELY non-chronological (with cues from the ending appearing right away at the beginning, and cues from the beginning right before the finale), and omits some themes you can only hear in the complete score.  The new complete score main program is 66 minutes and is much more chronological, showcasing everything Williams came up with for this project in a very nice way.

Personally, I think the new 66 minute main program is a far superior way to enjoy this score than the old 39 minutes OST LP program, but obviously you should listen to both and decide for yourself, shouldn't you?

47 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

So my old Varese OST still has value!

The second disc of this release is the same takes as your old Varese disc.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't know how to answer this question.  It depends on what you really mean by "thoroughly different"; I'm not really sure how to interpret that.

For me personally, I don't really care about "alternates" unless they're really very different.

I can't hear the difference between different takes either. And I'm no big fan of having the same material double.

If that makes any sense...

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Personally, I think the new 66 minute main program is a far superior way to enjoy this score than the old 39 minutes OST LP program, but obviously you should listen to both and decide for yourself, shouldn't you?

Ye olde "severe lack of time" strikes again.

But, my main reason for asking is because I like to keep my digital collection as clean as possible and wonder if I need to keep the OST assembly in it.

4 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

For me personally, I don't really care about "alternates" unless they're really very different.

I can't hear the difference between different takes either. And I'm no big fan of having the same material double.

If that makes any sense...

I rarely listen to the "ADDITIONAL TRACKS" of an expanded set, I put them in another folder to make sure they don't play at the end of the score, when I listen to them! hehe

This is funny, because I compare all the tracks of Charles Aznavour and Roy Orbison.  I listen to two WAV files at the same time in Audacity, to spot the alternate tracks and the different takes of a song.

Maybe it's why I can't do it for John Williams too, that's too much for me! And I trust Mike Matessino and @Jay about that.

Maybe one day, I will have fun to do that with John Williams's music too!

Mina's Death is in For Mina if I remember correctly. Is Pre-Dinner Music one of the source cues? If yes, unfortunately those are not on this set.

I think it may have been a source cue based off of the title alone, but I still think it is Williams material. I understand why 3m2 and 3m4 are missing though.

3m2 La Cumparsita (comp. Gerardo Matos Rodriguez)

3m4 Weiner Wald (comp. Johann Strauss)

17 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Are these cues present?

2m3 Pre-Dinner Music

4m3 Mina's Death

5m2 On the Road

6m3 Disorder in the Asylum

There is no source music in the set. All of score cues absolutely are.

1 hour ago, Lockdown said:

I think it may have been a source cue based off of the title alone, but I still think it is Williams material.

It's a long time since I have seen the film, but I remember that one of the pieces of music heard is the Sicilienne from Pelléas et Mélisande by Gabriel Fauré.  Could that be the piece of pre-dinner music to which you are referring?

Sadly seems as though disc 1 came with a scratch, leaving “Capture of Lucy” to skip a bit when I played on the living room stereo (rather than the car as I heard it previously). Hope I can fix it. :( 

Got my copy yesterday -- what a lovely little package! Just a delight of a release.

Also saw the film for the first time today. It was alright. It's not surprising, but I felt John's score hugely elevated the picture overall.

Varese seems to have flubbed the shipping on my set, and didn't send it accidentally.  They printed the label, which generated the tracking info, but didn't actually put it in the mail.  They said they are overnighting one tonight, but it's still a bummer since I paid for the expedited shipping, which it now appears was worthless.  I'd be more forgiving, but this is actually the second time in a row this has happened with them.  Oh well, at least I will (probably) get my set tomorrow.

I’m really enjoying this, it sounds absolutely terrific and such a great to get so much new music froths period! That said I unfortunately have a glitch at 3:31 on the first track of disc one, do I just have a bad disc or is anyone else hearing this? Just want to know if I need to order a replacement disc, many thanks.

transparent.gif

7 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Varese seems to have flubbed the shipping on my set, and didn't send it accidentally.  They printed the label, which generated the tracking info, but didn't actually put it in the mail.  They said they are overnighting one tonight, but it's still a bummer since I paid for the expedited shipping, which it now appears was worthless.  I'd be more forgiving, but this is actually the second time in a row this has happened with them.  Oh well, at least I will (probably) get my set tomorrow.

My copy arrived at Helsinki airport last night but knowing the snail pace of our postal service it will be here next Monday. And I live about 20 km from the said airport.

9 minutes ago, Incanus said:

My copy arrived at Helsinki airport last night but knowing the snail pace of our postal service it will be here next Monday. And I live about 20 km from the said airport.

Amen brother. I once sent a package to some rural place in Finland using express shipping - the fastest possible shipping method which costs about 100 Euros - and it took five days to get there. 

:pat:

7 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Same for me with the last "The Cowboy" Deluxe Edition.

41 minutes ago, Richard said:

To all those who now have the DRACULA 2-cd set:

a) you're all bastards. I can't even afford the postage, let alone the CD

b) how does the remastered OST sound?

Take your time and read all the dedicated post friend...

1 hour ago, Richard said:

a) you're all bastards.

:lol:

1 hour ago, aescalle said:

A significant improvement over the OST CD. Less muddy lows, and the frequency spectrum is greatly extented upwards. Now it doesn't sound like your stereo is confined in a coffin when listening to the OST.

12 hours ago, John Chambers said:

I’m really enjoying this, it sounds absolutely terrific and such a great to get so much new music froths period! That said I unfortunately have a glitch at 3:31 on the first track of disc one, do I just have a bad disc or is anyone else hearing this? Just want to know if I need to order a replacement disc, many thanks.

transparent.gif
11 hours ago, Chewy said:

Rip your CD using EAC and you'll know if your rip is correct (would mean that your CD is ok) or if your rip has errors.

So it appears that this is an issue inherent to the original recording, it appears quietly on the right channel on both disc 2 and on the original album release. it's just much more prominent and on both channels in the main film score presentation. It sounds like a recording error to me or is it something heard on the stage? Really satisfied and enjoying this release but just curious as to what this is.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A significant improvement over the OST CD. Less muddy lows, and the frequency spectrum is greatly extented upwards. Now it doesn't sound like your stereo is confined in a coffin when listening to the OST.

But I thought it was the concept of the whole album to sound like it was coming out of a coffin! From beyond! 

I was eagerly awaiting my lovely new Dracula: The Motion Picture CD twofer by John Williams today but instead returned home from work to find the dreaded grey 'Fee to Pay' card from Royal Mail, surely a visitation more terrifying than that of the Transylvanian count himself.  The scoundrels have levied an extra £14.20 customs charge, including an £8 'handling charge' (🤯) for the privilege of gleefully kicking my package around the floor of the delivery office for an extra day or two.

Royal Mail should change the wording on the card from "Unfortunately we can't deliver your item because there is a fee to pay" to "Fortunately we won't deliver your item until you give us some beer money, you streak of piss."  Oh well, what can you do?

12 hours ago, Richard said:

To all those who now have the DRACULA 2-cd set:

a) you're all bastards. I can't even afford the postage, let alone the CD

From what I'm hearing of the original, it's definitely a huge improvement, though I found disc 1 sounds even better.

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

🤯

Royal Mail should change the wording on the card from "Unfortunately we can't deliver your item because there is a fee to pay" to "Fortunately we won't deliver your item until you give us some beer money, you streak of piss."  Oh well, what can you do?

I hate customs

i think they make up rules and fees when they feel like it