If you were filthy rich, and could commission a work from any composer, who would you choose?

Jurassic Shark

I so much want a trombone concerto from John Williams.  He has written major concerti for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, tuba, harp, piano, violin, viola, cello but no trombone :(.  Yes yes, I know there is a trombone arrangement of the tuba concerto but that isn't the same.

Otherwise, I deeply regret that I didn't have the money to commission Derek Bourgeois to compose a sequel to Holst's Planets.  For those of you who aren't familiar with this composer, he was a personal friend who died in 2017.  He was the most prolific English composer having written 116 symphonies.  He held the very same position (and even the same office and desk) as Gustav Holst at the St. Paul's Girl's School (to which Holst composed his famous St. Paul's suite) and was a huge fan of JW and Astronomy.  I asked him if he would compose a modern version of the planets but the cost if I would commission it was low but more than I could afford.  He died a year later and wow, I so much wish I would have put it on a credit card or something.  If you listen to his music you'll find much to admire if you are a fan of JW as Derek was.   Derek was exceptionally accomplished having received his doctorate in composition from Cambridge University (same as Ralph Vaughn Williams) and studied composition with Herbert Howells and conducting with Sir Adrian Boult.  His music is wonderful and his time will come.  I am very honored to own his batons which were used by Sir Adrian Boult. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd take a true piano concerto from him before that, personally.

Yes.  And a new Symphony, maybe.  And a score for LadyHawke (sorry, Thor).

59 minutes ago, Alex said:

I would pay Zimmer as much as it takes for him the write a purely orchestral score, using pencil and paper, on his own with none of his RCP minions involved. And I get to poke him with a stick if he even mentions the words “unique”, “synthesiser” and “electric cello”.

I'd pay him to retire.

:lol:

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I would pay Zimmer as much as it takes for him the write a purely orchestral score, using pencil and paper, on his own with none of his RCP minions involved. And I get to poke him with a stick if he even mentions the words “unique”, “synthesiser” and “electric cello”.

How much money we talking here? 

I would ask David Arnold to re-score Skyfall and Spectre, and ID4-2. 

I would ask John Williams to re-score Harry Potter 4-7 . 

I would commission John Williams to write a piano concerto, a contrabassoon concerto, a trombone concerto, and a 'Concerto for Three Sets of Timpani and Orchestra. '

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

a violin concerto based on themes from his film scores.

I could have sworn I heard this at the Bowl.  A medley of virtuostic excerpts from his films for violin and orchestra performed by the concertmaster.

51 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But who would compose it?

An unknown person who no one has ever heard from... the one true composer who ghostwrites all of the music for the composers who ghostwrite for Zimmer. Some say he lives atop Mt. Kilimanjaro. Some say he's the son of a great and powerful wizard and a dwarf with gigantism.

On 10/24/2018 at 3:43 AM, Richard said:

I'd want JW to write a concerto for Moog and Prophet V synthesizers.

I'd want the LSO, and Larry Fast to perform it.

I'd like a concerto for Electric Piano and (acoustic) Strings, too!