Dracula (1979). Do you own the OST, and have you seen the movie?

Josh500

Dracula (1979)  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own the OST album of Dracula?

2. 2. Have you seen the movie Dracula (1979)?

3. 3. Will you get the 2018 edition of "Dracula" from Varese Sarabande?

Very excited about this. 

But I've never actually seen the movie. I do own the OST album, however. How about you? 

On LP :

2894596_orig.jpg

The degree to which most people are excited over this new release from LLL, you'd think Dracula (1979) was an installment of Indiana Jones or something. :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this, but I've never even seen the movie. The main theme is powerful enough, but does this score warrant being regarded as being on the same level as, say, Raiders, The Empire Strikes Back, or Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I doubt it, but maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, it seems to me that the overly high level of excitement over this release stems mostly from the fact that it was unavailable for so long, and not necessarily from the quality of the score itself..... Although, mind, it's not a bad score at all.

I'm interested in your opinions.

DSC02670.JPG

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

As I've posted before; I saw DRACULA at the cinema, in 1979, in London.

Wow, really! Was the theatre full on that day?

May I ask you, how old are you!? I wasn't even born in 1979, let alone collecting JW scores. :D

I have owned the OST, in one form, or another, since August, 1979.

Good for you! 

When I can afford it, I will buy the LLL.

It's 5000 copies, so no need to hurry.

Am I the only one who always mistakes the bright, hand-shaped highlight to the right of the girl's neck (bottom right of the album cover) looks like Dracula's outstretched hand?

It's irritated me for years !

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Am I the only one who always mistakes the bright, hand-shaped highlight to the right of the girl's neck (bottom right of the album cover) looks like Dracula's outstretched hand?

Well, get the LLL version! It's remastered, so the hand should be even clearer! 

47 minutes ago, Richard said:

As I've posted before; I saw DRACULA at the cinema, in 1979, in London.

I have owned the OST, in one form, or another, since August, 1979.

When I can afford it, I will buy the LLL.

Ah, so you saw the colorful version, right?

I saw the desaturated version on TV and I wasn't aware about this issue until some years back.

Apparently the director doesn't want the colorful version out there now that's why the DVD and Bluray have the desaturated one.

I've owned the CD since the late 90s, I think.

I've seen the film. It's fairly decent as far as DRACULA adaptations go. It subscribes to the same 'romantic' approach that Coppola did years later, and although the latter is obviously superior (the best DRACULA film, IMO, and one of the best films of the 90s), the Badham has things going for it. Love the kaleidoscopic love scene, Langella's performance and the prevalent use of red and darkish blue throughout (if this has been desaturated on BR, it's a real shame!). The score is wonderful, of course.

And as previously stated, no I will not get the 2018 release in physical format.

35 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Varese, you mean.

That's right! 😂👍

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've seen the film. It's fairly decent as far as DRACULA adaptations go. It subscribes to the same 'romantic' approach that Coppola did years later, and although the latter is obviously superior (the best DRACULA film, IMO, and one of the best films of the 90s), the Badham has things going for it. 

Agreed.

I own the soundtrack to Bram Stoker's Dracula too, and man! This is really mind-numbingly,  horrifyingly good. Not sure whether JW's version is better.... But then, obviously, like you said, Coppola's version of the movie is far superior. Wojciech Kilar had just better material to work with....

The opening is my favourite:

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've owned the CD since the late 90s, I think.

I've seen the film. It's fairly decent as far as DRACULA adaptations go. It subscribes to the same 'romantic' approach that Coppola did years later, and although the latter is obviously superior (the best DRACULA film, IMO, and one of the best films of the 90s), the Badham has things going for it. Love the kaleidoscopic love scene, Langella's performance and the prevalent use of red and darkish blue throughout (if this has been desaturated on BR, it's a real shame!). The score is wonderful, of course.

And as previously stated, no I will not get the 2018 release in physical format.

No interest in owning the OST with likely better sound quality than the old CD?

1. The score is one of Williams' best and can compete with Close Encounters, Witches of Eastwick and other similar stuff.

2. The movie is much better than Coppola's version and I cannot understand why so many people consider it just "mediocre" or "alright". It is one of the ten best movies Williams has scored.

3. The new Deluxe Edition looks like the second most ambitious CD Club release Varese has ever done. (Stop saying it was La-La Land!)

43 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I own the soundtrack to Bram Stoker's Dracula too, and man! This is really mind-numbingly,  horrifyingly good. Not sure whether JW's version is better.... But then, obviously, like you said, Coppola's version of the movie is far superior. Wojciech Kilar had just better material to work with....

First, you just cannot compare those, idiomatically.The first one is fiery romanticism, Kilar's is minimalist/languid, just as the movie's are totally different beasts. The Badham movie is a big, elegantly designed-if-too-literal horror movie that somehow fits JW's british leanings, Kilar works (has to) mostly around the Grand Guignol of Coppola's stylized circus, though both share the romantic DNA alien to the Lugosi/Lee eras. 

The Badham is not a lost masterpiece or anything, but neither is the Coppola: the visual razzle-dazzle wears thin after they leave Transsylvania the whole thing drags in its second act.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

First, you just cannot compare those, idiomatically.

Of course you can compare them!

These two movies/scores are wildly different, yes, and they have vastly different approaches on the same subject matter. And that's exactly why you can compare them. You can try to find similarities, commonalities, and parallels between the two. That's what comparing is all about. Plus, you can comment which version you personally prefer, and why, i.e. express your subjective opinion.

If they're the same or very similar, there's no point in comparing them at all.

Anybody seen this? Love the "love theme," pun intended.

BTW, always one a**hole in the crowd that needs to cough when the music starts.... 😠

"

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've "had" the Dracula OST for over a decade.  I've never "owned" it, though.

Okay, whatever. Vote however you like! 

As a comparison: 

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Of course you can compare them!

These two movies/scores are wildly different, yes, and they have vastly different approaches on the same subject matter. And that's exactly why you can compare them. You can try to find similarities, commonalities, and parallels between the two. That's what comparing is all about.

Read. 'Idiomatically' refers to your blanket statement above which is exactly what a good comparison should NOT do, as you first have to at least establish a narrative along which you want to compare them. You basically say 'both are named Dracula and one is better because the movie sucks less'.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

Read. 'Idiomatically' refers to your blanket statement above which is exactly what a good comparison should NOT do, as you first have to at least establish a narrative along which you want to compare them. You basically say 'both are named Dracula and one is better because the movie sucks less'.

Don't join in the discussion then! See if I care. You say you can't compare then, then don't. This isn't school.

Besides, it's all subjective. You can compare these two, based on your musical tastes and preferences. Of course you can. I'm not saying it's easy or definite, but of course it's possible. Only a fool puts limitations on art and on ways to look at it.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I interpret his post in that he plans to find a download of it rather then pay for it.

We tend to get new Varese releases like this for consideration, either sent to the IFMCA or through promotional companies directly to Celluloid Tunes. But sometimes, we have to wait untill the end of the year, or untill I request it. More and more, review copies are only available upon request.

About the movie iself, that's not the best Dracula, but that's not the worst.

It's a very decent 70's Dracula and a great Langella performance...

And well, of course, the John Williams score make this movie.... let's say... eternal? ;)

I don't own it ($$$$$) and I've never seen it.  I ordered the new one.

I've heard it before, maybe 10-12 years ago, back when file sharing apps were all the rage.  Somewhere around that time, I deleted all of my stuff that was illegally downloaded, unofficially sourced, etc (bye bye Dracula, bye bye prequel edits, bye bye FYCs, etc), so this will essentially be a whole new score for me.

25 minutes ago, Romão said:

I actually think both Williams and Kilar's scores are quite perfect for the respective films. I like both quite a bit

I have yet to see the 1979 version! 

I've been watching these movie clips on YouTube, and I quite like what I see and hear! 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Josh the 1979 Dracula was an underwhelming theatrical experience. The score is pure JW gold.

I wouldn't call it "underwhelming". It has a lot to offer: Langella's sultry title role, Pleasance revelling in his "come what may" Seward, Tony Haygarth's "put upon" Renfield, Trevor Eve's earnest Harker, Gil Taylor's ravishing photography, Whitlock's sublte effects, unobtrusive direction, by Badham, and, oh, yes Kate Nelligan, and Jan Francis (sigh).

The score's not bad.

I also own the OST album, but I have barely listened to it so far, except for the main title.

This new VS release gives many an opportunity to really dig into this score.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Only the 7th one.

So? It's The fucking Doctor, you dolt!

42 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The one who was murdered by gunfire immediately after stepping out of the Tardis into America. You'd think he would have detected a gang shootout.

He wasn't murdered!

9 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Only a fool puts limitations on art and on ways to look at it.

Aren't your numerous polls, which are to much of a degree bound and limited, a microcosm of this statement. You have countless votes and questions that ask us very specific and often non-relatable items. What do you want?