Cerebral Cortex

Hans Zimmer's THE SPONGEBOB MOVIE: IT'S A WONDERFUL SPONGE (2020)

I'm not sure. It has been a while since you and I have had one of our signature one-on-one SpongeBob movie chats so I'm not sure how to effectively gauge your disinterest and assess whether or not it could possible increase. 

Here are some presumably correct album credits.

Credit goes to: Hans Zimmer

Music composed by: Benjamin Wallfisch, Lorne Balfe, Geoff Zanelli, Jacob Shea, David Flemming, and Klaus Badelt

Under the apparent supervision of: Hans Zimmer 

Organ Swells and Robust Brass by request of: Hans Zimmer

I am contractually obligated to post this meme whenever HZ comes up in conversation. I apologize in advance for it's overuse.

Hans Zimmer 2.jpg

Seriously though, this is quite possibly the worst composer/movie matchup in cinematic history. They should have just gotten Debney to do it, his score for the first one fit just fine.

4 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Not picky, is he? Either he's desperate for money or he's trying to out-Goldsmith Goldsmith.

Call me naive but I have always gotten the genuine sense that Hans doesn't follow the money especially now that he has no real need to.  There is some creative part of his brain that is tickled by some of these odd choices.  But he's got a decent animation rap sheet so it's not that much of a stretch.

Just now, TGP said:

Call me naive but I have always gotten the genuine sense that Hans doesn't follow the money especially now that he has no real need to.  There is some creative part of his brain that is tickled by some of these odd choices.  But he's got a decent animation rap sheet so it's not that much of a stretch.

I like his Lion King and The Simpsons Movie but never heard The Road to El Dorado or Madagascar.

There's just something that rubs me the wrong way about this choice though. I remember this Spongebob thing was all the rage about a decade ago and I was like "kids actually watch this shit? Prepare for a generational dip in IQ".

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

I've seen bits of it and it might actually not be awful, almost like a Ren & Stimpy where it's pretty over the head of its primary audience and actually kind of clever.

As someone who was its primary audience when it premiered, I can attest to this.

Then the show got so stupid that I had to walk out of the room when my younger siblings watched it. It was like Tim and Eric was written by peoplewho watched that and said, "Hey, I can do this weird wacky humor, too!"

43 minutes ago, TGP said:

I've seen bits of it and it might actually not be awful, almost like a Ren & Stimpy where it's pretty over the head of its primary audience and actually kind of clever.

Spongebob is fucking excellent  

On SpongeBob: I used to watch it regularly before school, but naturally I grew apart from it and after the first film (which had a few good nuggets) I just never really caught up with it again. I can't even remember Sponge Out of Water.

Every now and then a meme will bring me back to watching a few clips on YouTube, or if I flick through the channels I might stumble across reruns of the early seasons, but that's about it. It's sad, but I think after all these years everything has its time and SpongeBob had it years ago - quite similar to Adventure Time which I adore but lost track of.

I'm surprised they bothered to mention Zimmer. It's not as though there was any excitement for Debney scoring Sponge Out of Water, was there? 

Besides me, of course. Especially since SOoW is basically a less noisy Cutthroat Island (and that's just dandy!).

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Why this deserves a separate thread is beyond me.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

I was pretty confused myself as to why this chap bothered to make a thread, as I don't think Spongebob fans populate this vicinity. 

Having a thread on the forum with both "Hans Zimmer" and "SpongeBob movie" in the title amused me. Simple as that. We've had lamer justifications for separate threads in the past.