HARRY POTTER 1-3 Complete Score Releases Confirmed

Ricard

6 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

They didn't like that dry punchy sound that made TFA a good listen.

Yet the score sounds infinitely more vibrant, detailed and balanced at the LTP presentations, at least with the orchestra I saw performing it (the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra).

TFA's recording is too dry and the mix is overproduced. They rightfully corrected both with TLJ, thankfully.

I get the impression they would have refined TFA's mix/record if they'd had more time, but it seems like TFA's schedule (as luxurious as the writing schedule was) was pretty jam-packed with constant revisions and inserts. It's possible Murphy was trying to emulate the dry sound of the original '77 score (perhaps at JJ's behest) but hadn't attempted that sound at Sony before, and didn't have time to perfect his microphone setup once recording started. The balance is very brass-leaning and other sections are totally lost in the mix.

But it's all personal preference I guess. All we really know is they overhauled it for TLJ, with Rian commenting that it was an intentional change from TFA's 'dry, punchy' recording to TLJ's warmer one. Whether this was spearheaded by Johnson, Williams or Murphy isn't clear.

Were it not for my insomnia, I'm sure TLJ would put me to sleep. It just wasn't a good collaboration with Rian Dick and the film seemed to mainly result in a lot of autopilot filler music connecting various uninspired renditions of the themes. Like Anakin, I know Williams is better than this.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

But it's all personal preference I guess. All we really know is they overhauled it for TLJ, with Rian commenting that it was an intentional change from TFA's 'dry, punchy' recording to TLJ's warmer one. Whether this was spearheaded by Johnson, Williams or Murphy isn't clear.

Where did Rian say this?

29 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Speak for yourself TLJ is great

I didn't know you felt that way. 

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Where did Rian say this?

He said it in an interview where he discussed the new recording of the Main Title, the one that was mysteriously dropped in favour of reusing TFA's. 

He also talked about all the subtle differences between each film's recording of MT.

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I wonder if those Goblet of Fire sessions are still floating around. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my hands on them before *that one website* instated a Patrick Doyle ban. I'd still like to find them one day...

I found them all on a youtube channel a couple days ago, if I’m not mistaken.

Don't the GOF sessions sound like shit anyway? 

Thinking more broadly, maybe the reason Potter has been such a long-gestating project is because they wanted to secure the rights to all eight scores before proceeding with the first?

Could be quite the cash-cow for them, if the profit margins are a bit higher on the non-Williams scores. Heck, they might even be relying on the latter 5 scores to make the whole project profitable! 

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

To me, it's clear that this is about the Potter releases that haven't been mentioned anywhere else and that Mike also hasn't commented on. And if he doesn't want us to inquire about it, I'd say that's because he can't officially say anything. Which in turn seems to indicate that they are happening, but shouldn't have been announced yet, and any questions about them would put Mike in a difficult spot. So I'll not inquire and wait patiently. We all know how often these things get delayed, perhaps because of pressing schedules, or because of artwork approvals, or perhaps they simply weren't meant to be announced yet.

Given all the parties involved who might ask for reviews and sign-offs (WB, JK Rowling company, Gorfaine/Schwartz, etc.), I guess this is the sort of project that would take YEARS just for getting all approvals down the line. But I'm confident the finish line is on the very near future.

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Would MM have tackled 4-8 as well, or would that job go to someone else? I personally couldn't care less about an improper 5-6 expansion, but 4 deserves the MM touch.

I like 4 and would buy it.

Karol

23 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Would MM have tackled 4-8 as well, or would that job go to someone else? I personally couldn't care less about an improper 5-6 expansion, but 4 deserves the MM touch.

I never cared that much for the HP4 score, but every time I watch that movie, the music immediately brings back memories,

so I guess Doyle did a great job. Gonna listen to those recording sessions, now: if anyone needs them, I found them here.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Slightly bizarre but cool experience when I got in to work this morning. Walked in and a number of my teammates were talking about the Harry Potter soundtracks. One had been sat outside a pub listening to the first one with friends at weekend (?!?!) and another was commenting on how much they loved the change of style in POA. I'd only taken my headphones off while entering the building and had been listening to POA on my way in.

We're still talking about John Williams now. My team is cool!

:thumbup: Very cool indeed!

My colleague wanted to listen to the full JP score when I told him about it, and he remembered where all the music came from. But he isn't the type who would actually buy it.

I have next to no interest in any Potter expansions outside of Williams, but as I said in another thread, that's because 4-8 do a much better job of including highlights, and not necessarily because JW's scores are better. (Although I do think HP:PS is the best of the series).

I probably wouldn't be particularly craving a PoA expansion if JW had included all the highlights properly. Unlike PS and CoS where I'll keep the whole thing, I'll likely just use PoA to make a custom album.

I sort of agree with that. 4 has too many short, though great, cues to make a listenable OST. 5 is a perfect standalone album and I prefer the 6 OST to the sessions because they're just dead boring. 7 and 8 have too many album versions, though.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

It sounds like the slightest derailment between now and the announcement and we could be looking a years before it's released

Oh God, I hope not.
I've been waiting for an expanded HP3 score since 2004.
It's a matter of principle now :D 

I find it just incredible that the HP news websites I have bookmarked (I really should move on) haven't reported this announcement at all. They only bang on about Fantastic Beasts character wands and who praises who. Just more proof of how terribly small our community is...

10 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Now we consider TLJ "great"? So what are Jaws, E.T., Raiders, Star Wars etc.?

They’re decent, mildly enjoyable. But TLJ is just so rich with themes! Millions of themes!

50 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I find it just incredible that the HP news websites I have bookmarked (I really should move on) haven't reported this announcement at all. They only bang on about Fantastic Beasts character wands and who praises who. Just more proof of how terribly small our community is...

Send a news tip to the Leaky Cauldron!

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I have noticed the more annoying members didn't show up.

We can delete their accounts. 

You better watch yourself or I'll show up to the next one!