HARRY POTTER 1-3 Complete Score Releases Confirmed

Ricard

16 hours ago, hornist said:

It was so lovely in London and now I have to read these idiots!!!! 😱😱😱😱

:lol:

Question about the Honeydukes Musix Box piece. Do we know whether it's one long piece, or whether multiple versions were recorded? Because the movie uses an F-major version, but in the Honeydukes game on the DVD, they use an E-flat version at one point too.

Definitely looking forward to listening to the definitive release of the Maestro’s scores to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Chamber of Secrets, and Prisoner of Azakaban. I have a feeling that it will be released come the end of the year, as that definitely fits 2018 being “a year for the books,” in addition to Saving Private Ryan, Schindler’s List and Superman (not confirmed yet, but inevitable).

Strangely I haven't felt any big hype seeing this, Dracula drained my enthusiasm reserves that week. The disappointment probably won't be too big, but an official announcement with a date, cover and tracklist will bring the actual hype.

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

Strangely I haven't felt any big hype seeing this, Dracula drained my enthusiasm reserves that week. The disappointment probably won't be too big, but an official announcement with a date, cover and tracklist will bring the actual hype.

I think I'm with you there. I had a strong initial reaction to the news that they were coming but since then I've been fairly chilled about it. I know I'll be an impatient wreck though once the details are announced and we see how much previously unreleased music we're getting ;)

Do people think we'll be getting three individual 2-3 disc sets or one big box with all three?

Yes, we all keep taking it as writ that it will be a 3 film box set because of how Mike's bio was worded in the program.  But it's far from a sure thing!  We could be seeing just the first score in November, with promises of future releases for the others.

I just re-read the FB update from 14th October. There are enough unannounced releases to include all three individually along with Schindler's List. Any doubts that 2018 would be "one for the books" would be put to rest pretty quickly!

That three disc set does look like a possibility for HP1 though :)

Another way I thought up a while back is HP1+2 as a 4-disc set because of their close relationship and to share the extras, and HP3 on its own as a 2 or 3 disc set.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Isn't it still a possibility that Schindler is not included in that November tease?  That it's officially announced in December?

I mentioned it purely as an assumption based on the theatrical re-release. I've just seen that it's actually happening at the start of December though so who knows?

More likely announced November, shipping in December (which is standard for Black Friday releases I think).

Isn't Black Friday the final batch of LLL releases each year?

Just now, crumbs said:

Isn't Black Friday the final batch of LLL releases each year?

Yeah usually, rules were made to be broken though!  Just putting it out there as a possibility.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Superman and Schindler's List would be two 2-disc sets on their own. Can there be 3 Potter scores as well based on their approved release schedule?

Superman and Schindler's list *could* be the two approved. The update went on to say two or three more were awaiting final sign-off. Pure speculation but this is killing time for me during a quiet work day :P

Just occurred to me that individual releases for each score makes far more financial sense for LLL, due to the live-to-projection performances.

Depending on which film is being performed, LLL could sell their expansions as merchandise. Keeping the scores separate makes more sense than having the entire trilogy bundled together, when your average punter would balk at being forced to purchase an entire trilogy of music instead of simply the score they saw performed.

It also means the difference between (probably) 15,000 individual units (5,000 for each score) and 5,000 units for the entire trilogy. So I'm coming around to the idea of individual releases.

Individual 2-3 disc sets do seem more likely to me. JP worked well as one 4 disc set because there were no (or very few) alternates to consider. From what I gather though there's a wealth of material to fill an "Additional Music" section for these sets. Also, @crumbsis right about the financial benefit to LLL.

Just now, Holko said:

Keep in mind it still might be Watertower's big project.

Yup.  There's so many possibilities, considering that really we still know basically nothing, haha.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

That's why I'm not too hyped yet, way too many unknown variables.

I kind of hope it's Watertower, assuming they were smart and indeed hired Matessino to do it correctly.  If it's Watertower it will almost certainly be released digitally as well, including streaming sites.

I agree that separate sets make more sense, financially. But if WaterTower wanted to do them, why on earth did they wait so long? And more importantly, if Watertower does turn out to be the label, is there any chance Matessino was reigned in, or is he too powerful/respected to be told to drop alternates etc? After all, these sets won't be for the masses anyway.

it's the Indy box all over again

It's one of our big holy grail  franchise scores so they'll screw it up somehow , they always do . A semi half-assed set with as many "cost cutting" decisions as possible

Then MM will say he had his "hands tied" for many of the decisions of what went on there

But on the other hand, that Indy box set was made before the LLL/MM/JW relationship we have now, right? Couldn't it also have been the case that the Indy box set was imperfect because of pure ignorance and not because of a concerted effort to make it imperfect?

A 6-disc set with all three scores seems more likely than anything else, imho. Like JP/TLW, it makes sense to sell it as "The John Williams Harry Potter Collection". Based on my counts, 2 discs for each film (filled to the max) should be enough to include the complete score plus a handful of alternates.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But on the other hand, that Indy box set was made before the LLL/MM/JW relationship we have now, right? Couldn't it also have been the case that the Indy box set was imperfect because of pure ignorance and not because of a concerted effort to make it imperfect?

the Indy box was made to be as cheap as possible

i'm still convinced we got that bonus disk with extra cues because all the panic it caused here just prior to release .You can tell it wasn't meant to initially go into the box

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

A 6-disc set with all three scores seems more likely than anything else, imho. Like JP/TLW, it makes sense to sell it as "The John Williams Harry Potter Collection". Based on my counts, 2 discs for each film (filled to the max) should be enough to include the complete score plus a handful of alternates.

I know this has been discussed before, but what would a 2-disc Philosopher's Stone that includes the Children's Suite look like?  I thought it had to be 3.

The main one I want is Azkaban anyway, I don't really care how they release it as long as I get it!

yeah PoA is critical and I'm sure CoS will be fine too . Lucky for us we have other sources for HPSS that includes  the Children's Suite

it's not like Indy where we had no bootlegs whatsoever

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, I've been told over and over again that HP1 absoultely needs 3 discs, but I managed to make a 2-disc version that doesn't discard anything important.

You're probably right.  As long as MM is the one producing it, I'm sure it will be good.

My current edit, which includes the complete score with a bit of tracking, the concert pieces and the Children's Suite (no alternates) is 2:39. So 2 discs would be 79 and 80 minutes, which LLL won't do, and we still don't have alternates, and my edit may be a few seconds tighter than it should.

Given the increased and reinvigorated marketing for the HP/Fantastic Beasts franchises, it seems incredibly fitting that there should be HP scores released this year. The marketing campaign for HP in particular has exploded over the last two months, leading up til Crimes of Grindelwald and beyond.