HARRY POTTER 1-3 Complete Score Releases Confirmed

Ricard

On 10/27/2018 at 12:17 AM, Josh500 said:

Not really.

I still remember when Goblet of Fire was released, we were speculating and hoping against hope until the very last moment that John Williams might return to score it after all. And that continued which each new installment, with the expectation and hope peaking once again and reaching fever pitch with Deathly Hallows.

And we were disappointed each and every single time!!!

Hated every score after 3 with the exception of one or two cues here and there. I really wish he had done them all.

Doyle’s GoF was actually surprisingly good especially after following a masterpiece like POA. It’s a shame Williams didn’t return to the series but I’m not surprised he didn’t. Has he ever written a sequel score to someone else’s work?

If Williams were to continue the series, he would've done his own thing for sure. Weren't there rumours of Williams asking to do the last film?

I can't understand why the studios or Yates didn't go with Williams for one final outing - Desplat even tracked in a few of the cues from the first two films anyway...

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I can't understand why the studios or Yates didn't go with Williams for one final outing - Desplat even tracked in a few of the cues from the first two films anyway...

Because Yates didn't want to show Williams a rough cut of his film, silly.

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

Because Yates is a moron?

Williams requested a rough cut of the film by a certain date to accommodate his writing schedule. Yates claimed he couldn't deliver a rough cut by the requested date, supposedly. 

But he also apparently offered the DH2 gig to Desplat at the DH1 sessions. 

Frankly the guy seems like a right royal dick who went out of his way to prevent Williams doing the final film. They could easily have accommodated Williams' requests if they wanted him badly enough. 

Just now, crumbs said:

Williams requested a rough cut of the film by a certain date to accommodate his writing schedule. Yates said no, basically. 

He also apparently offered the gig to Desplat at the DH1 sessions. 

The guy just seems like a right royal dick who went out of his way to prevent Williams doing the final film. 

I didn't know that: I had one of the worst movie theater experiences with HP7.2 (bad 3D, bad projection, dark as heck, basically couldn't see a single thing in the last reels).
I watched it again in BluRay and (while I think it's still way too dark), I enjoyed it a little bit more. But I still can't shake the feeling the saga didn't end properly, 'cause the first horrible screening I went to kinda ruined it for me, and I think DH part 2 lacked heart. I find Yates too cold, to be honestNow I'm trying to imagine some of the best scenes in HP7.2 scored by good ol' JW, and… oh, boy, how great it could've been.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Williams requested a rough cut of the film by a certain date to accommodate his writing schedule. Yates claimed he couldn't deliver a rough cut by the requested date, supposedly. 

But he also apparently offered the DH2 gig to Desplat at the DH1 sessions. 

Frankly the guy seems like a right royal dick who went out of his way to prevent Williams doing the final film. They could easily have accommodated Williams' requests if they wanted him badly enough. 

Yates' musical choices suggest he was more than happy to have Williams off his back.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Yates' musical choices suggest he was more than happy to have Williams off his back.

Definitely.

Pretty much. I think Yates ignorantly assumed Williams was incapable of adjusting his style to suit a darker, much heavier Potter film.

Rather absurd when you consider Williams' range across his career, let alone the evolution of his writing in the trilogy itself. There's no reason Williams couldn't have evolved along with the films.

But JNH is a much more submissive composer personality, obviously. Whoever was responsible for steering Yates in the realm of colorful orchestral scoring probably also had some pushover clout. Yates himself seems not the kind of guy who is clueless about the sound design of his movies, so i can't imagine there wasn't discussion about this with WB, who obviously wanted to bring in a (obviously interested) name composer.

I can imagine JNH was a studio-mandated decision. Yates doesn't have that much clout (though who knows how the hell he managed to get Hooper on not just one but TWO Potter scores).

It's such a shame someone with JNH's talent couldn't do all the Potter films after Doyle. He would've been a superb successor to Williams.

1 minute ago, redishere said:

He made the final battle look like chess pieces moving slowly: I remember when I dreamt of Cuaròn directing the Hogwarts Battle with long takes.

Cuaron not returning for the final Potter film is probably the greatest missed cinematic opportunity since Ridley Scott and James Cameron combining for Alien 5. WB should've thrown the bank at him.

I just wish WB would follow Spielberg's lead on the JP series and let some young, fresh talent try their hand at directing a franchise movie, just as WB did with Cuaron all those years ago.

Nothing against Yates personally but fucking hell, is 6 films in the same series not enough for him? What else could he possibly have left to say at this point? It's all so bland, lifeless and stale. Let someone else bring a fresh vision to the series.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Much more submissive than JW? Is that even possible?

Vey much so. Forget Williams putting up with the kind of temp track bullshit Desplat went through.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

Yeah right, the temp tracks were in place months before Desplat started just because they knew it wouldn't be working...😎

Of course not, but when parts of Desplat's score turned out to be unsatisfactory, the easy solution was to revert back to the temp tracks.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Of course not, but when parts of Desplat's score turned out to be unsatisfactory, the easy solution was to revert back to the temp tracks.

Going by that explanation, Williams, Goldsmith and Horner were not suited to a lot of projects because exactly the same happened to each of them multiple times.

28 minutes ago, publicist said:

Vey much so. Forget Williams putting up with the kind of temp track bullshit Desplat went through.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Going by that explanation, Williams, Goldsmith and Horner were not suited to a lot of projects because exactly the same happened to each of them multiple times.

You're contradicting yourself here.

I've been reading Torn Music (the book on rejected scores) as my bedtime reading recently, and the idea of reverting back to the temp score comes up a lot.

It's an idea I support if the director has fallen in love with the temp and the only alternative is to ask the composer to make a carbon copy. The most obvious example I can think of recently is Debney's The Any Bully cue which is taken from JNH's Atlantis. In that case, I definitely feel they should have just licensed JNH's cue.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're contradicting yourself here.

No. Desplat was forced to endure impossible temp tracks, i. e. '28 Days later' as was revealed by Conrad Pope at some point. You are referring to a whole different matter - of which specifics you by the way have no inside knowledge - and draw conclusions to serve the unlikely thesis that Desplat couldn't possibly have written a few minor cues where thy inserted old HP material. It's just as possible that the powers that be were sentimentally attached to that stuff.

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've been reading Torn Music (the book on rejected scores) as my bedtime reading recently, and the idea of reverting back to the temp score comes up a lot.

It's an idea I support if the director has fallen in love with the temp and the only alternative is to ask the composer to make a carbon copy. The most obvious example I can think of recently is Debney's The Any Bully cue which is taken from JNH's Atlantis. In that case, I definitely feel they should have just licensed JNH's cue.

Exactly. The recent Star Wars:Rogue One example may be a case-in-point that Desplat was unwilling to go with certain requests.

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

No. Desplat was forced to endure impossible temp tracks, i. e. '28 Days later' as was revealed by Conrad Pope at some point. You are referring to a whole different matter - of which specifics you by the way have no inside knowledge - and draw conclusions to serve the unlikely thesis that Desplat couldn't possibly have written a few minor cues where thy inserted old HP material. It's just as possible that the powers that be were sentimentally attached to that stuff.

So sentimentally attached that they basically used only Hedwig’s Theme in all the non-JW films and then crowbarred a few minor themes in DH Part 2!

20 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's just as possible that the powers that be were sentimentally attached to that stuff.

You're speculating as much as I do, and implying "inside knowledge" without elaborating doesn't strengthen your argument.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps he's just indifferent.

I think he cares. Yates has even self-described himself as a bit of a control freak and I think that’s something that shows up in his directorial style and turns some off. Something flat and tidy about his mise-en-scene that I’ve always had kinda mixed feelings about, right from the opening scenes of OOTP actually.

But yeah, in his liner notes and some interviews I remember, Nicholas Hooper talked about starting work on his two scores even during pre-production with Yates workshopping all sorts of versions of cues throughout the process all year per score. And JNH did like a dozen different versions of the Beasts main titles, despite Yates claiming that he found himself giving far less notes than with Hooper or Desplat.

So I don’t know how he and Williams would have gotten along but I don’t think it would have been that impossible. Williams has thrived in this business because he’s a good problem solver with music, drama, and people. I feel pretty safe thinking he would have come up with some suitably “dark” fantasy-action shit that would have pleased all involved parties and the likes of us without selling his artistic soul. 

But it’s a caricature to act like Yates is completely tasteless or doesn’t care and I also don’t think it’s accurate at all to act like Beasts’s more colorful, tuneful, lushly emotional stuff came completely out of nowhere either. There’s precedent for all of it in the latter Potters. Honestly most of JNH’s Beasts sounds plenty to me like the kind of stuff Hooper and Desplat were going for but by and large it’s just...better. It’s better! Sorry. 

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah it’s not exactly wrong.

Well, Nimbus 2000 is a part of "Hedwig's Theme", but not a part of Hedwig's theme. Just like the Imperial motif is part of "The Little People", but not part of the Jawa theme.

1 minute ago, Marian2 said:

Well, Nimbus 2000 is a part of "Hedwig's Theme", but not a part of Hedwig's theme. Just like the Imperial motif is part of "The Little People", but not part of the Jawa theme.

Who are you and what have you done with Marian?  Do I need to call the police?

I think JW not scoring the rest is one of the greatest missed opportunities in score history.

Whenever I see one of those movies, I always think how great a Williams score would have been.

For example, I think Hooper's Umbridge theme was pretty good and fits the character well, but you just know Williams would have had a ton of fun with that theme.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Who are you and what have you done with Marian?  Do I need to call the police?

Not the police, just the mods/admins:

I've been trying not to pester one of them individually, but I'm afraid I'll have to.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's the improved version.

I just hope nobody connects me to the old DANIEL2 debacle.