Official Discord Thread

Disco Stu

Ok people!  I set up a Discord chat server.  If you've never used Discord, I know it brands itself as being "for gamers" but I know lots of people that use it just for general interest chat groups.

Here is the server, very easy to set up an account

https://discord.gg/ZbGgQ7d

Come chat!

Rules/Announcements/FYIs:

1. If you are banned on JWFan, I ban you from the Discord

2. If you use a screen name different from your JWFan name, you MUST let me know who are you on JWFan or you will be banned.  If you are banned for this reason, you can PM me here on the forum to be re-invited

On 10/28/2018 at 8:12 AM, Disco Stu said:

Update to the Update:

I've reinstated chat history due to a bug with mobile users where it would clear out the history if they sent the app to the background, even just briefly.

However I will be routinely deleting the chat history.  The Discord is meant to have a looser atmosphere where people shouldn't have to worry about messages being saved forever.

An update:

I removed the ability for non-moderators to see the entire chat history.

This is not meant as a replacement for the JWFan forum, it is just a hang-out spot.  Drop in and chat with whoever's around.  Being able to see the entire chat history gives it a permanence that is not interesting to me at all.

I'm sorry if that's not what you were looking for with this Discord.

If you join Discord, just make sure you put your Microphone on "push to talk" mode.

You'll have to chose a key in the settings, and hold it on your keyboard when you talk, like a walkie-talkie.

15 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

No Grindr? 

A grindr especially for JWFans... nice idea to make it an even more pleasant place... 🙄

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Ok people!  I set up a Discord chat server.  If you've never used Discord, I know it brands itself as being "for gamers" but I know lots of people that use it just for general interest chat groups.

Here is the server, very easy to set up an account

https://discord.gg/ZbGgQ7d

Come talk to me.  I'm all alone there :( 

How does this work, is it permanent or do you start a new chat every time?  If it's a fixed thing we should definitely arrange to have people drop in.

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

How does this work, is it permanent or do you start a new chat every time?  If it's a fixed thing we should definitely arrange to have people drop in.

Nobody knows how it works, are you kidding us? 😛

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

It’s a permanent chat server.  But I am the administrator and could delete it if necessary 

So Stu was being prepped and groomed for Moderatorship after all? Just not for the MB. Very good.

I do hope it will be more tightly managed that the MB is. Discord is a different animal to a traditional MB and could very easily become clogged up and unreadable.

That is kinda what I mean.

Jerry and Justin throwing comments back and forth could easily make a Discord server unreadable. 

Its a mild annoyance on this MB. But on a chat server it becomes just an impenetrable wall of inane babble.

I hope Stu will manage it properly.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Geez, do you also know the exact date?

The date Scott Morrison became Prime Minister. I just remember because I was out getting my car fixed and Stefan going "Name changes?! Fuck this shit! Bye!"