Official Discord Thread

Disco Stu

19 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Isn't Discord a microphone chat affair? Wouldn't it potentially involve a ton of people talking over one another?

I joined a Discord DS9 group this year and I didn't even know it had a voice function.

Also didn't know Discord is gamer misogyny and incel country. 

I'm aware that Discord really took off with gamers looking for a strong group to take on challenging endgame and PvP activists and such, but the other uses I don't know anything about.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't @Bespin present a JWFan chat thingy several months ago?

Yes I tried once, but all I do don't work... here.. .discography included!

Update to the Update:

I've reinstated chat history due to a bug with mobile users where it would clear out the history if they sent the app to the background, even just briefly.

However I will be routinely deleting the chat history.  The Discord is meant to have a looser atmosphere where people shouldn't have to worry about messages being saved forever.

An update:

I removed the ability for non-moderators to see the entire chat history.

This is not meant as a replacement for the JWFan forum, it is just a hang-out spot.  Drop in and chat with whoever's around.  Being able to see the entire chat history gives it a permanence that is not interesting to me at all.

I'm sorry if that's not what you were looking for with this Discord.

5 minutes ago, Zaralyyth said:

I seem to have been removed from the discord. My username is the same here as it is there, just because I'm not as active here anymore, I'd still like to be a part of it.. 

Oops!  Sorry!  Thanks for letting me know.  I’ll reinstate you.

I am part of three discord servers, two of which I made. Zaralyyth is on one of the two. 

Discord is hard to really pin down as being a haven for any particular group because they can exist completely independent of each other with no access. 

@Disco Stu You have to publish a new link, it seems a link is only good for one day, it expires.

And new people can't joined if they don't click on this link.

You have to check a box for the link never expire.

I want someone to confirm that because the link in the main post is supposed to be permanent.  Perhaps Zaralyyth couldn’t use it because they had been banned, even though I reinstated them.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@Disco Stu You have to publish a new link, it seems a link is only good for one day, it expires.

And new people can't joined if they don't click on this link.

You have to check a box for the link never expire.

I vote that Bespin takes over the Discord from Stu! He obviously knows how to run it.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I want someone to confirm that because the link in the main post is supposed to be permanent.  

Yesterday, before I joined, I tried it twice.  One time it showed expired, the next, not.  I use the same link (cleared cookies) to get in each time I do.

So, it seems to be working today.

If it’s supposed to be an impermanent hangout spot, why the need for bans right from the start? Unless the person banned was some sort of spammer then it could be a way to reconnect a little. Banning can happen down the road easily if needed. 

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

Have some people got different usernames to here and how do you tell who is who?

You could always ask!  I at least know who everyone is.

I'd keep a list on the main post, but people can change nicknames.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd keep a list on the main post, but people can change nicknames.

Ah it’s ok, I just ignore those two anyway 😂

On 10/28/2018 at 2:54 AM, Stefancos said:

That is kinda what I mean.

Jerry and Justin throwing comments back and forth could easily make a Discord server unreadable. 

Its a mild annoyance on this MB. But on a chat server it becomes just an impenetrable wall of inane babble.

I hope Stu will manage it properly.

On 10/28/2018 at 3:15 AM, Stefancos said:

Exactly!

I was on a Facebook Messenger group with Drax and Justin for a bit, and it just became ridiculous.

It’s why I left all those groups. I’d put my phone down for 10 minutes and come back to 50 new replies and a floodgate of notifications blowing up my phone. Immediately left. 

I quit my own FB group purely because of Jerry and Justin tedium. I don't think they realise just how monotonous their bilaterally banal interactions read to others a lot of the time. It can be manageable in forum format, but when you have an endless string of verbal diarrhea bombarding your phone's main chat app, it is soon wearing.

Yeah that was Drax and of course he pounced on the opportunity to take the piss.

Last night had quite a discussion from a quick glance.