Details from Mike Matessino's London talk

Jurassic Shark

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

which they didn't know contained the real tapes after all. Why didn't they bother to check properly...

Who knows. They were obviously interested in doing it but for whatever reason didn't think that there would be the full stereo tapes hiding below the mono ones. Nobody seems to know what the mono tapes were for in the first place.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

that's ironic. The master tapes almost rotted away at the label that was supposed to restore them

It's ironic. They could save other scores from deteriorating, but not their own.

37 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

When he was asked about doing Star Wars, he replied "Given what happened in the last few years... What do you think?" and gave a nice smile.

Well that's very interesting then, isn't it? :)

Presumably referring to the fact that Disney went to the trouble and expense of tracking down and scanning all the session tapes in high resolution. One does not simply go to this much trouble for a mere OST reissue... 

37 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

salvage and restore as much music as possible, even if it will not be released on CD

Could explain why LLL invested in the scans, assembly and editing of the ill-fated Sugarland Express release, despite not having approval from Williams' camp. 

At least, so I read on here (and I assume they knew what they were talking about, because I'm questioning whether the release got that far along before being nixed by Williams). 

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Who knows. They were obviously interested in doing it but for whatever reason didn't think that there would be the full stereo tapes hiding below the mono ones. Nobody seems to know what the mono tapes were for in the first place.

Exactly. Human errors happen, they probably just didn't check more than one or two of them. 

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well that's very interesting then, isn't it? :)

Presumably referring to the fact that Disney went to the trouble and expense of tracking down and scanning all the session tapes in high resolution. One does not simply go to this much trouble for a mere OST reissue... 

Were you in doubt of THAT? I'm sure bloody Star Wars is first in line in all these considerations (to my never-ending annoyance 😎)

New expanded Star Wars releases have always been a question of "when" rather than "if" but it's still very reassuring to hear about JW's evolving attitude to preserving his life's work and MM's hints :)

20 minutes ago, Alan said:

expanded Star Wars releases have always been a question of "when" rather than "if" but it's still very reassuring to hear about JW's evolving attitude

Yet ironically that series has been 'anything goes' since the early 90s, with multiple expansions for each OT score. 

Who knows how TPM UE slipped through the cracks, but maybe Williams didn't have as much free time in those days to care about vetting expansions? Or, more likely, he just wasn't consulted. 

I'm sure Star Wars has been one his largest income streams over decades now (residuals) so maybe he's less fussy about rubber stamping them.

23 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I must say the moment when Thor asked his question to Mike and started by saying "Don't worry guys, I'm not going into THAT" was a pretty hilarious moment :D

Thor has certainly a certain reputation in the film music circles. :P

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Who knows how TPM UE slipped through the cracks, but maybe Williams didn't have as much free time in those days to care about vetting expansions? Or, more likely, he just wasn't consulted. 

I get the feeling he had nothing to do with the UE and wasn't consulted about it. I'm sure I remember Williams expressing his embarrassment about the way TPM was chopped up in the film so I can't imagine him rubber stamping the UE presentation.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I must say the moment when Thor asked his question to Mike and started by saying "Don't worry guys, I'm not going into THAT" was a pretty hilarious moment :D

He, he. I was only following up from Tim Burden's hilarious joke in the opening that he had installed an ejector seat in my spot in case the C&C issue came up.

Btw, I loved the six film clips that ended the whole thing in which the Williams music had been removed, giving everything a kind of cool, gritty 70s feel (but obviously inferior to the final product regardless).

One of my big regrets is that I didn't get to chat more with my fellow "hardcore Williams obscurities" researchers Miguel and Townerfan beyond brief hellos. Hopefully, a new opportunity will allow itself at some point.

Whoa! The tapes sound FINE?!? 😱

I didn't know that. I thought it was basically lost or destroyed, requiring a complete rerecording.

I can understand Williams being hesitant, because the film is really bad. But hopefully, he'll come around eventually. Thanks for following up that, Townerfan!

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

According to him, it's likely JW didn't come to Rome to record it personally because he was in London finishing Goodbye Mr Chips, but he wasn't 100% sure about it.

Could the reason JW doesn't want the score to be released be that he doesn't approve of the conducting and/or playing?

Is there any chance MM has been asked to preserve TFA and TLJ already? Or in other words, do we think MM will be able to tackle JW's entire work even if it can't be released just yet? Seems silly to wait for another, possibly worse, producer to take over.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Is there any chance MM has been asked to preserve TFA and TLJ already?

We must preserve all those hard drives with multiple redundancy backups! :P

Bad word choice. I meant, would it be possible for him to prepare the releases even if we get them in only 20 years? I don't know how old he is or how long he'll still work, but don't want a Didier Deutsche-like successor.

40 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So he still doesn't want Sugarland released?

That was interesting. I wonder why 

He seems to think he could have done better. I wonder also if it has something to do with his first wife's passing. She died before the film premiered and he was working on it.  But this is pure speculation on my part.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Bad word choice. I meant, would it be possible for him to prepare the releases even if we get them in only 20 years? I don't know how old he is or how long he'll still work, but don't want a Didier Deutsche-like successor.

I'm guessing he's around 50.

I'm sure, so long as LLL remains profitable and soundtrack expansions remain commercially viable, and Mike continues to enjoy it as a profession, he will continue knocking off Williams scores every year (if the rights holders allow it). This year alone he's had 8! Probably more we don't know about.

There don't seem to be many roadblocks from the Williams' camp anymore; they seem rather encouraging of this restoration & expansion business.

Future issues will probably revolve around licensing (no independent labels will be able to access John's 4-5 Indy or 8-9 Star Wars scores) or union costs (anything post-2005 is very expensive for independent labels to license).

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Me too! I'm just a very curious person!

Oh "F...K",

My "thinked" post was "You've already got an Husband man!"

Sorry

I was writing quicker than my brain process!

😫

Has MM ever posted here on the boards or just over at FSM?  If not, has he given a reason for not?  Wonder if he's got a ghost account here and is lurking and snickering at all of the back and forth on here, I know I would! ;)

Also, I'm a total facebook noob (just signed up recently) and I tried to follow MM but it's grayed out.  I feel weird reaching out to him like a little groupie teenage girl "can I follow you?!" 😆  Any specific reason why this is the case?

So jealous that I couldn't be a fly on the wall for this conversation!   

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Whoa! The tapes sound FINE?!? 😱

I didn't know that. I thought it was basically lost or destroyed, requiring a complete rerecording.

What? When you asked the question, he answered that both Sugarland and Story of A Woman were found, but JW asked him not to release them. Then, he listed some scores that they've never been able to find (Daddy's Gone A Hunting, etc). How did you miss that part of his answer?

17 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

ps - I’m in Dublin for Jaws Live to Picture at the National Concert Hall on Wednesday. If any of you are going let me know and we can share a pint.

I believe @Bilbo is going.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

What? When you asked the question, he answered that both Sugarland and Story of A Woman were found, but JW asked him not to release them. Then, he listed some scores that they've never been able to find (Daddy's Gone A Hunting, etc). How did you miss that part of his answer?

Well, that the tapes were found doesn't mean they're in good condition.

I'm confused. He clearly said both Sugarland and Story of a Woman were preserved and able to be released on CD, but Williams said no. Unless I just completely.heaed wrong.

Its too bad no one recorded the.talk, we're mixing up all the details!