Details from Mike Matessino's London talk

Jurassic Shark

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Its too bad no one recorded the.talk, we're mixing up all the details!

Jason, I think the youngish bloke sitting next to me on the second row from the back was recording the talk on his phone but I'm afraid I did not catch his name.  He was definitely English and was talking to another Englishman next to him who I think might have been Michael Beek.  That's probably not much use to anybody, but maybe you can identify him from those scant details?

My recollection is the same as yours, i.e. that the tapes for Sugarland Express and Story of a Woman survive but that John Williams does not want them released currently.  Mike Matessino said that he had a card up his sleeve that he could use to try to persuade John Williams to change his mind on Sugarland.

There have actually been several 'levels' of knowledge about this in the last few years. First everyone assumed it was lost -- score sheets, recordings, everything. Then a few years ago, someone said the score sheets were available, so a rerecording was technically possible. This was what I nagged James Fitzpatrick about for the longest time, untill he said that Williams had said no. Then rumours appeared that the material did indeed exist, although no one knew in which shape. Finally, the information about the tapes not only existing, but being in FINE condition was news to me, and I can't remember Mike mentioning that in his reply to my question (untill Townerfan asked him directly afterwards), although one could of course assume that was the case since they approached Williams about it. Guess they wouldn't have approached him with defect or destroyed material.

Here's something I can't believe hasn't been brought up yet.

One of the questions ( I don't know who asked it) started by saying he's been a fan of Williams since Poseidon Adventure, and basically asked Mike if he'd ever tackle that one.

Unless my memory is completely failing me, I swear his answer was that he wanted to do it, JW said yes, and that it would happen soon.  Anybody else remember that the same way?

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Unless my memory is completely failing me, I swear his answer was that he wanted to do it, JW said yes, and that it would happen soon.  Anybody else remember that the same way?

He did say that. Probably relating to better masters. Why they keep banging that particular score is one of those inexplicable secrets of boutique label release politics.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

I remember something like that, but was rather confused because it hasn’t only been released once but twice already. What’s left to do with it?

Well it's been out of print for years, so newer fans or older fans who missed it have no legal way of listening to it at all, that's the primary reason. The secondary would be that both editions have less than satisfactory sound. And Mike is good at restoring old recordings. There's no more music to add or anything, it's about getting it right.

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, that's what I remember as well.

Karol

11 hours ago, Holko said:

Could a remix from the original sources help with TFA's sound, or is it beyond saving?

TFA sounds fine.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

One of the questions ( I don't know who asked it) started by saying he's been a fan of Williams since Poseidon Adventure, and basically asked Mike if he'd ever tackle that one.

Mike definitely all but confirmed it, yes. I'm happy that I never picked up the latest release. ;)

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

TFA sounds fine.

Mike definitely all but confirmed it, yes. I'm happy that I never picked up the latest release. ;)

Yeah Mike pretty much confirmed that Poseidon Adventure is coming. Which I guess I'll have to buy even though I own the previous LLL release. Bottle cap for my collection! :P 

26 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

He also said that he wants to do Monsignor, this time including the unreleased cues.

One of the nice things Rodney Newton talked about in his recollection of working with JW was indeed the sessions for Monsignor. He called the score "basically a concerto for Maurice Murphy and orchestra".

Monsignor is indeed basically a concerto for Maurice Murphy and orchestra. :) 

The score if I remember correctly from the Intrada liner notes has only a few minutes of unreleased music. But then again who knows what unused or unreleased treasures could be unearthed in Mike's diligent searches.

48 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Monsignor is indeed basically a concerto for Maurice Murphy and orchestra. :) 

The score if I remember correctly from the Intrada liner notes has only a few minutes of unreleased music. But then again who knows what unused or unreleased treasures could be unearthed in Mike's diligent searches.

As I understand it, Nick Redman located the original materials for Monsignor long ago, so Mike wouldn’t have to search too far.

6 minutes ago, thx99 said:

As I understand it, Nick Redman located the original materials for Monsignor long ago, so Mike wouldn’t have to search too far.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if he searched for them for a possible Twilight Time Bluray release.

I think all the materials were located and transferred back in 2007 by Intrada. They had access to the unreleased music, but they decided in the end to remaster the LP program because the amount of unreleased music was too short. Mike however told that he'd love to work on this for a possible future release.

that was one of the worst releases ever

There was a time they'd release OST re-issues without bothering with the unreleased music. Accidental Tourist, Witches of Eastwick,Monsignor, Spacecamp ...

15 minutes ago, King Mark said:

There was a time they'd release OST re-issues without bothering with the unreleased music. Accidental Tourist, Witches of Eastwick,Monsignor, Spacecamp ...

Well considering the Monsignor had not been released up to that point on CD, it wasn't exactly the worst of releases.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:51 AM, TownerFan said:

It was a great get-together in which Mike pulled back the curtain veil on his work methods and all the hassle that goes behind the scenes of restoring film

music. It was truly a showing about how much a labour of love this is.

Another very interesting thing Mike talked about is that the work he’s doing in restoring and preserving JW’s output is something that, in his perspective, needs to be done as a legacy for future generations. Preserving his work in the best and most comprehensive way possible is not because of completist’s obsession, but to leave something tangible for anyone who, 50 or 100 years from now, will want to study the music of JW and discover something new. He also said that what we’re writing today (yes, even on JWFAN boards) will be a testament to any future student who will want to research and study what was said about the music of JW when he was alive in his era. This is some that resonated a lot with me, as this is one of the goals for my own blog project I just started.

This is true. And Mike mentioned to me (in some discussion last year)  as well in that how JWFan's discussion page will be pivotal to historians later on. I think Lukas Kendall also said something familiar how our message board will be come very useful tool for researchers etc. 

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

This was explained several times, and Matessino spoke about it again during the meeting--reissuing the original LP/OST program is easier because you only need the license from the record label which has the soundtrack rights. When you release new music, you have to license it from the film studio and that complicates the process, as you have to make a deal with both the record company and the film studio, which in many cases are two very different entities even if they sport the same name (i.e. Universal Pictures vs. Universal Music Group).

Happy to learn that Monsignor is being considered for the future. Its a great score.A full C & C restoration would be welcomed.

Did anyone ask about JFK and THE TOWERING INFERNO? The last time I inquired on the subject of JFK to MM;he mentioned that he hadn't even started work on it. I think this was now nearly 2 years ago. But I'd be curious if anyone had actually asked about JFK ?

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

One thing I also remember was Rodney (or perhaps Mike?) talking about how Williams was quite sociable person early on in his career (house parties with Goldsmith and others) but withdrew himself from all of that once his first wife passed away. It was suggested that the subsequent collaborations with Lucas and Spielberg helped him a great deal with (what one would assume to be) depression.

Karol

Yeah Rodney reminisced how Williams was quite sociable back in 1960's and 1970's but after his first wife Barbara died sort of turned inward for quite a while. I also remember from the talk how they mentioned that John was apparently not a huge party going type but most certainly lively and fun when he attended these social gatherings.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

If that comes to fruition sometime soon, you guys can thank me! 

I bought the last LLL edition of John Williams's The Poseidon Adventure (used) last year for around 100 Euros! 

Needless to say, the next version must he released then. 😂 

8 hours ago, thx99 said:

It's mainly a question of doing what can be done "before the Fox window closes".

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well, barring Tom Sawyer, Matessino has produced the last 19 Williams film score expansions. Long may his reign continue!

I definitely can't see another producer touching a Spielberg/Williams expansion again, considering Spielberg himself is now involved in the sign-off of Mike's releases. No doubt he's just as impressed by the attention to detail as we are!

Well said. Long indeed may it reign! 

Nineteen albums is a sizable number! More than I thought. Is there a list of them on another thread -- or could you list them here? I know I'm missing a few and now I have the urge to see which ones those are.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:54 AM, Thor said:

Whoa! The tapes sound FINE?!? 😱

I didn't know that. I thought it was basically lost or destroyed, requiring a complete rerecording.

Some time ago Intrada revealed in this thread that they pursued a release of this and The Rare Breed, because Universal had elements, but Williams put the kibosh on them:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7754

Yavar

9 hours ago, Amer said:

as well in that how JWFan's discussion page will be pivotal to historians later on

Future music history textbooks: "Sure, Franz Schubert may have had Schubertiades, but John Towner Williams had JWFan"

Excellent reference point, Karol. Many thanks for posting! As JW says himself in the clip let's leave it at that as it's obviously incredibly personal. Yes Rodney did give us a unique and rare insight into that era which was all part of Mike and I wanting to focus on the significance of London and I'm glad it was eluded to respectfully, briefly and with tact. 

I meant to say a few additional things last Friday which might be of interest:

• There's a Facebook page devoted to Lionel Newman which features many London based photos of Williams from the late 70's and early 80s.
  • Here's a YouTube clip of some ROTJ session footage Rodney was talking about (from 03:14): 

• Murray Close is a wonderful photographer and was with us at NBC and at RAH on Friday night. You'll know his work from the classic Spielberg & Williams shot in the recording booth featured in Sony Classical's Spielberg & Williams Collaboration and many of the on-set photos of Spielberg's films.
  • The Harry Potter Live in Concert Producer / Conductor was also there with us: Justin Freer. It would have been too repetitive to mention everyone and some prefer discretion anyway.

Yes, you all heard correctly regarding 'Poseidon'. Coming soon! (*in trailer voice!)

The two releases I am dying to have (which Mike is used to me hounding him about!) are: Fiddler on the Roof (featuring all of the film versions - especially 'Miracle of Miracles' - and alternates / outtakes) and 'Far & Away' with the film version of 'Oklahoma Territory' and plenty of alternates. Although, as we heard from Mike we'll not get to hear all of the session chatter we had a window to during the End Credit takes in the unofficial late 1990s Concord CD.

So, what was everything that Mike Matessino said regarding Maestro John Williams, specifically regarding upcoming releases? Is anyone able to make a complete list of info.? Obviously he did not say anything about Harry Potter (not to give anything away, of course), but did he say anything about future definitive releases?

50 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

'Far & Away' with the film version of 'Oklahoma Territory' and plenty of alternates. Although, as we heard from Mike we'll not get to hear all of the session chatter we had a window to during the End Credit takes in the unofficial late 1990s Concord CD.

So Far and Away is confirmed??

Agreed, well said.

Williams always says his life is too uninteresting to make a film or book out of, but from my research I know that the Barbara Ruick love story is quite a dramatic one, with 'ebb and flow' and ultimately a tragic outcome -- from when they first met in 1948 to her untimely death in 1974. I can't even imagine the blow it must have been to him and their three teenage kids at the time.

38 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wouldnt make for a very interesting film though.

Yes, there are quite a few details of this story that would make an interesting love story film or book, perhaps combined with all the other things that were going on at the time.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, there are quite a few details of this story that would make an interesting love story film or book, perhaps combined with all the other things that were going on at the time.

It seems you'll have to write the book!

John Williams: an unauthorized biography, or why I hate Hans Zimmer